Ten4

So basically, we had:

Hibs want to sign high-flying ICT manager :rotflmao:

Butcher heads to talks :blink:

Despite being ICTs manager, he sits with the Hibs board :finger:

Butcher signs for Hibs as he can achieve his ambitions there :tosser:

Hibs don't seem to realise Butcher started with a relegation at ICT and near-relegation with 'Well :oops:

Results don't go as well as planned :shithitsfan:

Hibs fans show their usual support :protest:

Now all we need is relegation and we're back full circle :rotflmao:

• Agree 1

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?280521-Butcher-Today/page4

They were quite cocky when they poached him and his management team from us for perhaps £100k - thanks Rod - but now they seem a little unsure!!

It was a risky move by butcher slating players and telling them too move on early doors and it's back firing as we now have a team in free fall.

Even for a man of Butcher's reputation, I found it surprising how he has publicly turned on his players. How he thinks that will help is anybody's guess, but it seems like a desperate attempt to get himself off the hook. Well, if he secretly casts envious glances back at the Highlands I won't feel any sympathy. Had the chance to be a legend, and walked out the door. Hibs are not going to be patient next season, when they expect big things. Who's Terry going to blame then?  :ohmy:

I see Yogi has a better record at Hibs than TB so far, and will do up to the end of the season!

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 1

....was loving the Hibees on Sportsound last Saturday slating the style of play that they have inherited with Butcher, let alone the results. Did they not know what they were getting? Petrie not done his homework? Butcher has always indicated that his philosophy is to base the team on a stout defence and then get the ball forward as quickly as possible.......HOOF!

I think there'll be some brown pants around Easter Rd before the end of the season and I have no sympathy, given the attitude of many Hibs fans after they poached Butcher and Co.

• Agree 2

Depends how you look at it.

Butcher took-over at Hibs when they were 7th. They remain 7th.

Hughes took-over at Inverness when they were 2nd. They're now 5th.

On results obviously, not on league positions.

I totally disagree. Leaving the emotive issue of Terry Butcher out of this, surely positions are what teams play for, rather than 'results'!

Perceived 'good results' can only be defined as such if those results are better than the teams you compete against? 

Positions are king, and dictate where teams finish, whether that be as Champions, 'top 6', European qualification or relegation.

It's particularly poignant as we managed 37 points the season we were relegated - a total that has also seen teams finish 9th.

Surely you can appreciate that a team with 40 points in a given league could be relegated, yet similarly a team could only get 30 points and survive.

'Good' results are only relative to the teams you play against at that particular time.

An example could be a Champions League group:

Would you rather have 'good' results and win 4 games from 6 but be eliminated (with 12 points)...?

Or have such 'not good' results and win no games, draw 4, and have only 4 points but qualify for the lucrative knock-out stage?!

Every European Club manager would opt for the latter.

Football results can only be classed as 'good' or 'bad' by directly associating them with a tangible constant which is measurable - i.e. league tables and the positions within - it's why they exist all levels of football!

If we pumped the gypsies 0-10 your point is null and void!  :tongue:

We've got games coming up before the split in the next few days against County and Motherwell. If we were to be 'given' 4 points for these games without kicking a ball...you sound like you would go with a win against County and a draw against Motherwell despite the reverse being better for the club.

Indeed, I would suspect from your parochial stance that you'd be happier with us finishing 8th (for example, in any given season) ahead of County - rather than us finishing 3rd with County runners-up?!

Whoa there, cowboy. My original point was that comparing Hughes and Butcher at Hibs, Hughes so far came out better. Which I though was kinda funny. You immediately started comparing their records at their new clubs. Well, there are many ways you can slice the pie, but my gut feeling is that we would have had a dip with Butcher anyway, like we did last year. At any rate, turns out Butcher is not the messiah after all. Funny that.

Here's some context from the BBC website:

"Butcher is doing no better than his predecessor, Pat Fenlon. In fact, Hibs are going to need a storming finish to their season to get close to their points total from last year which was a disappointing 51.

At the moment, Hibs are rooted on 34 with no chance of a cup final to soften the blow. Last season they won 36% of their matches in all competitions. This time that number has fallen to 28%.

Grim, no matter how you slice it."

Edited by The Long Man

If we pumped the gypsies 0-10 your point is null and void!  :tongue:

We've got games coming up before the split in the next few days against County and Motherwell. If we were to be 'given' 4 points for these games without kicking a ball...you sound like you would go with a win against County and a draw against Motherwell despite the reverse being better for the club.

Indeed, I would suspect from your parochial stance that you'd be happier with us finishing 8th (for example, in any given season) ahead of County - rather than us finishing 3rd with County runners-up?!

My post was a bit of tongue in cheek humour.

I actually agree with your point but I'll refrain from engaging you in any form of humour from now on (whether amusing or not).

Butcher needs Marsella to build him a team for his system/method. That's why Butcher is a long term option. The thing is Marsella needs 3 years to do the job, and in the meantime, Mediocrity ensues. Hibs really need to beat Hearts, or else there will be a few post-split splits.

Here is a wee peep in to the future - Hibees go down and Butcher blames all and sundry except of course himself. He goes down a division, picks up a few choice players from down south and romps the league - hail the feckin devious messiah.

Except this time it wont be so easy with Hearts and Rangers in the mix.