Ten4

If Hibs do end up 11th, you'd have to think that with this shocking run they are on, I wonder if it has crossed their mind that their best chance of staying up would be to ditch Butcher before the play-off and get the instant "bounce" that clubs often get from a change?

If Hibs do end up 11th, you'd have to think that with this shocking run they are on, I wonder if it has crossed their mind that their best chance of staying up would be to ditch Butcher before the play-off and get the instant "bounce" that clubs often get from a change?

When do we get our bounce? :sad:

ha ha!

Blimey, this game is only 48 hours away....

Will be a packed Easter Road with a large contingent from Kilmarnock, I'm sure. Killie are in that 'awkward' situation that football sometimes throws-up of not having to win, unlike Hibs.

It's happened in the past where a team in Kilmarnock's position have lost and have looked back ruefully and thought, "it would have been better if we'd needed to WIN."

I must admit to being a little surprised to see Killie in this predicament - always thought they'd pick up enough points to be clear of danger.

The losing team will have the second-leg of the play-off at home which is preferable. Plus, the slight advantage of being able to watch both legs of the Hamilton v. Falkirk/QotS game, in person.

I would expect Kilmarnock to get through a play-off with their experience, and no-doubt Kris Boyd would score a 'crucial' goal!

But, if it's to be Hibs....well,....not so sure now!

Fascinating stuff. The 11th place relegation play-off is undeniably a great innovation!

This is why we have been lambasting the naysayers over J Hughes because a manager may not do too well at the new club for reasons beyond his control :-

a. Fate....meaning the alignment of the stars and/or it was just never meant to be..........and

b. A team can be taken over by what seemed to be  a very good manager at a previous club but fails miserably at the new one.

c. Misunderstanding of the players about what the new man is trying to achieve.............and

d. A lingering reluctance on the part of the players to change.

Terry Butcher seems to have fallen into fall into this category. IMHO he was lucky to have the stars aligned with plenty of good help at ICT but conditions in everything, including the overall club management in general may not suit him or allow for him to motivate the players.  

It's a lottery, as David Moyes has found out at Manchester United and it's definitely a question of horses for course.

Butcher is 2nd worst - he's still ahead of Sauzee!

Going by the current trend of 'win percentage'.

But is 'win percentage' really fair?

For example, a manager could preside over a team for ten games unbeaten yet rank below another who lost 9 of his ten games.

1 win in 10 with 9 losses (3 points) trumps 10 draws (10 points) by that criterion. So, it's a bit flawed, IMO.

Why not loss percentage? The manager in the above scenario (who's deemed 'better' would have 90% losses, and the poorer boss would be on 0%!!!!)

Butcher could lose the next 47 games in a row and still be ahead of Sauzee, showing the futility of the 'win percentage' statistic!

A better system would be (points gained / points attainable) x 100. A more balanced percentage would then be given.

But I'm not interested in Hibs enough to go through their manager stats to find out!

But modern media outlets are obsessed with this 'win percentage' nonsense, and so yes, Butcher is '2nd worst'!!!

Butcher has an opportunity to make history. There can't be too many countries in the world without a single team from the capital city in the top football league.

Come to that, there are probably not too many managers in Scotland who have led more than one top flight team to relegation.

If Hibs don't win am I right in saying that in his managerial career in Scotland, all three clubs he has managed will have finished his first season with the worst record in the league. Motherwell bottom (stayed up because of Falkirk's ground), ICT bottom and relegated and Hibs ( saved by Hearts points deduction?

If Hibs don't win am I right in saying that in his managerial career in Scotland, all three clubs he has managed will have finished his first season with the worst record in the league. Motherwell bottom (stayed up because of Falkirk's ground), ICT bottom and relegated and Hibs ( saved by Hearts points deduction?

He technically took over at Motherwell the season before they finished bottom.

One day, not so long ago, as I was sitting quaffing Crème de Menthe in a Vatican City bistro musing over the future of Terry Butcher - Eric Hoffer turned to me and said " Johndo loon,retribution often means that we eventually do to ourselves what we have done unto others”. And my other drinking buddy Meg Greenfield added " Aye Johndo mun, there is such a thing as tempting the gods. Talking too much, too soon and with too much self-satisfaction has always seemed to me a sure way to court disaster. The forces of retribution are always listening. They never sleep."

I see that Mr Butcher has been quoting Tennyson and is considering the use of Shakespeare and Rabbie Burns - I have some apt suggestions:

Tennyson - Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Shakespeare : life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing

Burns: Ye see yon birdie, cad a lord, wha struts and stares an a that, tho hundreds worship at his word, he's but a co of for a that.

And in true narcissistic style he himself quotes : " I have always said I'm very, very confident we will be fine and I still hold true to that FACT " !!

HE who laughs last, laughs longest.

See Hibs have blocked TV coverage for tomorrow's game.

Possibly the most meaningful game of the entire Premiership season and this! Professional Football League my erse! Is it any wonder they can't attract a title sponsor and only get paid buttons for the TV deal?

If armageddon does come to pass, Regan and Doncaster need to realise that it will down to them, not the failing of Rangers.