Ten4

Doctor Terry Butcher 12 November 2013 ''It's been a whirlwind seven or eight days and we are just happy to be here.................we have left some fabulous players and it is hard to say goodbye to that''

Doctor Terry Butcher 10 May 2014 at 14.20...................''It's been a whirlwind seven or eight days and we are now no longer happy to be here....in saying goodbye to this team it will be easy to say goodbye to that....Rod? We have not been relegated yet, I will save us, trust me!''

Another revolution of Terry's that has ended in tears.

His short sighted greed has disrupted not one but two teams seasons and if they go down...which is a distinct possibility given that they will be coming against a team beaming with confidence.

• Agree 2

Coventry: surprise sacking after doing so well

Sunderland: uninspired

Motherwell: terrific but left for greed

Sydney: rubbish

Brentford: rubbish

ICT: terrific but left for greed

Hibs: rubbish

The guy would have given up that blood soaked English patriotism if Germany offered a couple of Euros more. No sense of loyalty. I've a fraction of Tel's cash but learnt a long time ago a few bawbees means nothing when it comes to job satisfaction. How many times can a man waste his opportunity for long term success.

• Agree 2

Were it not for Hearts 15 point penalty, Hibs would have been clear bottom. In footballing terms they are the worst team in the league.

As an aside,  that deflected late goal for County has earned them an extra £250,000. Spawny gits!

I'm not sure we can criticise TB for going anywhere for more money because money is the fact of life that we all have to deal with in our progress through life. And so trying to better yourself and family is not a sin.

BUT.....

The negativity of his move is in the apparently underhand way that he did it. End of story.

IMHO, in retrospect,  he would have been much more prudent had he stayed and our team had been much higher up the league at which time  his reputation would have soared and he could have left with his head held high--and, in the process, probably given his future tenure at another club a more extended run than he will now have.Then he could have left , in consultation with our management of his plans BEFORE he moved, not after and left with good wishes ringing in his ears.

Right now I doubt if he will be sacked this season but next season will be a real test for him and his henchmen. And it could be his Armageddon...not only at Hibernian F.C but his career as a manager of any club of note.

• Agree 4

Were it not for Hearts 15 point penalty, Hibs would have been clear bottom. In footballing terms they are the worst team in the league.

As an aside,  that deflected late goal for County has earned them an extra £250,000. Spawny gits!

I've thought all along that the Premiership club would win the play-off but with the turmoil Hibs are in and their inability to score goal, I'm really not so sure now!

It's a good point about Hearts actually attaining more points than Hibs in actual results. They would have finished 11th with 38 points....which is a warning and a 'benchmark' for many clubs for next season - averaging a-point-a-game could well be play-off territory!

One thing is for certain: Hibs will have no cash to bankroll Butcher's recruits after a clear out. Compo for ICT + Fenlon, finishing ~6 places lower than budgeted for, loss of Hearts local derby all adds up to a large chunk of additional debt (even if they stay up). Relegation and a spell in championship would spell real financial woes. TB (if not run out of town) will need to dig in the conference again: I bet that isn't what he expected!

In terms of league position our last 2 seasons have been our best 2 seasons ever and we have Terry Butcher to thank for that.  On a very limited budget he and his management team did an excellent job in finding latent talent and fashioning them into a team that could compete well in the top half of the SP(F)L.  The sad thing both for the club and himself personally is that both seasons could have been better still.  Both seasons saw us riding high in the league before Butcher decided he would capitalise on the success and head off to bigger clubs.  Last year the aftermath of the Barnsley fiasco resulted in a significant drop in form when the players realised that despite all his praise about the loyalty of the players, the manager had no loyalty at all and was keen to leave.  This year Butcher renaged on his commitment to the club and left and his successor has been unable to maintain the early season form.

I am convinced that without the Barnsley fiasco we would have captured a European place last year and despite both Aberdeen and Dundee Utd being stronger this year, with the start we had, we could have finished higher and perhaps gone one better in the cups.  As SP points out, had Butcher had faith in the team he had fashioned and gone on to win a European placing or a cup with ICT then his own stock would have risen immensley and he could have attracted a bigger salary elsewhere.  But we've won nothing and he's won nothing.   

We are a small club and may never have such a good chance of success at the top level of Scottish football again.  The Rangers, Hibs and Hearts will all return stronger in the next few years and it will be harder than ever to make that breakthrough.  There is a feeling the Butcher took the team to the brink of that success but then snatched it away from us in order to satisfy his short term financial greed.  The success of the last 2 seasons is a bittersweet success because we know that it could and should have been better.  In denying us success, he has also denied himself success.  The irony is that whilst the club has still enjoyed relative success, his opportunity for success may well morph into abject failure and leave his career in ruins.  If so, he only has himself to blame and will get no sympathy from me.

• Agree 16

It is easy to mock the afflicted

But less we forget

I C T owe a great debt to Terry Butcher

He should have stayed put then? Actually I think butcher owes a debt to ICT it wasn't always rosey and we stuck by him. I will always be grateful for the good times but the manner of his departure was a disgrace!

• Agree 8

It is easy to mock the afflicted

But less we forget

I C T owe a great debt to Terry Butcher

As they say 'you reap what you sow'....

The Championship with a number of the scottish league's big names in it would increase the interest in more than just the Premiership within and outside of Scottish Football. It would also be a good thing for several other clubs in terms of gate receipts and the like with two home games assured against Hibs, Hearts and Rangers. Just like a Premiership 2 even....and that reminds me of another....'all things come to he who waits'.... :wink:

TB always remarked how much he loved life in the Highlands ,Caley Thistle were going well , why on earth would he leave ? ...the common opinion ,that he left purely out of greed ,seems a valid one.

Butcher and Malpas have been a complete shambles for Hibs , though I've no sympathy for their plight . The smugness of Hibs supporters at seeing the sad situation at Hearts , has now come back to bite them , not in their worst nightmare did they consider they might be joining their bigger , better supported rivals  in the Championship next season ...and it serves them right , I hope they go down .

No one in Inverness can be too smug either , argue all day ,but  the glory days are probably gone , hopefully SPL status will be retained for many years to come , but thats all .............Inverness Caley Thistle / Terry Butcher /MM was a perfect marriage  , and TB managed to fcuk it all up .. silly , silly Man

Edited by DerbyDave
  • Agree 2