Ten4

A little off topic, but I get the feeling this Leeann Dempster is starting to believe her own hype. As far as I'm aware she has no football experience or coaching credentials, but she's popping up on the news and in the papers talking about her 'football plans' for Hibs. Another egomaniac bureaucrat interfering in the background, exactly what Hibs need. Terry Butcher may be a former Uefa Cup winner, England Captain, Scotland assistant manager, and one of the most successful SPL managers in recent years - "but ah know better, ciz ah used tae run Motherwell like." Motherwell's recent purple patch obviously had nothing to do with Stuart McCall or their strong nucleus of experienced players. It was all down to Leeann.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hibs relegated again next season.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 1

A little off topic, but I get the feeling this Leeann Dempster is starting to believe her own hype. As far as I'm aware she has no football experience or coaching credentials, but she's popping up on the news and in the papers talking about her 'football plans' for Hibs. Another egomaniac bureaucrat interfering in the background, exactly what Hibs need. Terry Butcher may be a former Uefa Cup winner, England Captain, Scotland assistant manager, and one of the most successful SPL managers in recent years - "but ah know better, ciz ah used tae run Motherwell like." Motherwell's recent purple patch obviously had nothing to do with Stuart McCall or their strong nucleus of experienced players. It was all down to Leeann.

Just read her interview on the BBC website. Seemed to be talking sense to me? Appears to be aware that they need to choose the right man who is capable of managing a club like Hibs. No mention of her football knowledge or lack of at all?

• Agree 2

Leann has rushed into this, swayed by the wrong element of so called fans and the power struggle within the boardroom, in doing so she has made a blueprint that could well come back to haunt her. She has fired a manager with a proven track record of revitalising a squad without giving him any chance of proving himself at what he is best at doing. I wouldn't care to be in her position should she fail to bring the Leith side back out of the mire in very quick time.

How are the people who wanted Butcher and more so Petrie out in your eyes not supporters?  I don't see how calling for a manager to be sacked who plummeted your team to such depths is un-supporting.  If he can't keep them up considering where they were, then why should he be allowed to continue?  People wanted what was best for their club - Butcher was a car crash.  Butcher has only really 'built' a decent side here by the way and maybe at Motherwell.  Two clubs - that's in no way a proven track record.

I don't think from what I gather, that this decision was rushed either - after all, they were relegated two weeks ago and Dempster comes across to me like an intelligent and well thought out woman who has a good record at Motherwell.  She could well turn out to be a great signing by Hibs in the long run, but she's got to get the decision right and I think there's far more chance she'll get it right than some of the other jokers involved there.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

I get the feeling that she gave TB every opportunity to convince her that he was the man with the ability and the vision to lead Hibs straight back up and he singularly failed to do so hence she made the reasonable and consiered decision to dispense with him and recruit someone who, in her view is the right person.

Some of the criticism of her not having any football or coaching experience, in my view, smacks of sexism. Football club CEOs generally don't have that personal skill set.  what the good ones do have is the ability to identify and recruit those who do and she seems to have proved herself adept at that in her previous post at Fir Park.

• Agree 4

I have no doubt that given time TB might have managed to spark Hibs back into life ... but therein lies his first and potentially biggest mistake. Did his ego make him think that he would be the first Hibs manager in recent history that would actually be given any time? He has a record of being **** poor to begin with at most clubs, but when given time (eg 'Well and ICT), and allowed to assemble his own squad, then he has proved he can turn things around or at least have them heading in the right direction.

I have said it before, and will say it again ... I thank TB for what he achieved at ICT, for the players he brought in, and the raised profile he afforded us. It is appreciated and will be looked on fondly .... but, he chose to turn around and bite the hand that fed him, and would have fed him for life had he wanted it, and for the utterly disrespectful manner in which he did so I can offer no sympathy for him whatsoever. He got what was coming to him plain and simple !

Aye. The last game he managed us at Caley stadium, I belted down to the side of the tunnel at the end and shouted "Don't do it Terry! Hibs will **** you up!" - so he can't say he wasn't warned.

• Agree 4

After a crap day at work it fair brightened up my drive home when I switched the radio on.  :lol: Interesting some of the commentary about "old school" coaching methods / tactics not fit for modern game and player development. Maybe his departure was a blessing in disguise for our long term football development? Anyway I'm not visiting this thread again natural justice has prevailed.  :lol:

Hard luck TB, I am sure he will have a good pay off from Hibs and will soon talk himself into another well paid job!

Yip - the experience will not affect the narcissistic personality at all. TB will now probably get a decent pay off and will appear on our screens as a World Cup punter - and may even get paid to go there. I am actually looking forward to his statements and the fact that the demise of Hibs had feck all to do with him - and the ultimate narcissistic wind up of how he is so sorry that he left Inverness, accompanied by yet another narcissistic rationale.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear Terry's 'take' on it all, when he eventually goes public! I hope he can find the dignity to admit that he made a mistake in moving from here.

Pele, Brew and Robbo all swallowed their pride and have, at one time or other, conceded that they left too soon and regretted it.

Unfortunately (for Butcher), the manner of his leaving means that he's burned-his-bridges and he will never be a candidate for a return here.

I will however, miss his after-match interviews on Radio Scotland which were often amusing and certainly different to the often cliché-ridden tripe offered by the likes of Danny Lennon and others.

Not sure if Terry would be a very good poker player as his tone of voice always betrayed what he was feeling! - a win and his ebullient mutterings were delivered with witty enthusiasm but after a loss his demeanour was markedly different - his observations being spoken in a much slower, almost depressed manner. But always entertaining.

For the record, Butcher lasted 7 months at Hibs; Robertson survived 6 months at Hearts; Brewster was gone from Dundee United after 9 months while Paterson was fired from Aberdeen after 15 months ( I didn't realise it was that 'long' until checking)!

However, I feel it's maybe premature to be writing Terry's football obituary - I have a feeling he'll 'remain in the game' in some capacity.

• Agree 1

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear Terry's 'take' on it all, when he eventually goes public!

There will no doubt be some sort of gagging clause in his pay-off agreement, but I'm sure at some point he'll make some general comments to the media.

His managerial memoirs would actually be a very interesting read. He'll have plenty of time to work on them now.

I'd like to think it's not intentional and just the way the written word is read but this does come across with a tone of sexism in it.

LD did her job well at M'well and in the background.  Joining Hibs has made her higher profile and she's been asked to do a role with a higher profile as Petrie intends to step back, this just means we are hearing more of and from her - not that she is "starting to believe her own hype".

The only person in this sorry tale who believed their own hype were the three stooges who left ICT.

• Agree 1

I find it crazy that people are saying that it was a mistake to get rid of TB.

Yes he got us promoted and did a good job as ICT manager.

But...

Just look at his record at Hibs.  They are playing in the first division next season FFS!  When he took over they were, along with a good few other teams, in the running for a European spot.  One win in 19 games.  Relegated.  His recored at Hibs is simply atrocious.  The Hibs fans will never be able to trust him.  A clean slate will be a good thing for Hibs and I expect in 2 or 3 seasons to see a vastly improved and superior Hibs team.  I certainly hope so - I quite like Hibs!

No doubt he'll surface at some point in the media as a pundit, and I don't think he'll regard himself as finished as a manager yet. As far as buttressing his own ego goes, I think he can genuinely say that he didn't get enough time at Hibs and as others have said, perhaps either Petrie or Dempster have thrown him under the bus in an effort to deflect from wholesale infrastructure problems at Easter Road. Time will tell, but it's not going to make TB look at his own failings any harder than in the past, which is a shame. It's clear that he had lost the dressing room and that anyone associated with him will be tanished so I can't see Marsalla or Malpas surviving the process. They will be the only things at Easter road that he held control over, so guilt by association is all that is left to them.

TB had his ideal environment here, in that the club was small enough and his stature big enough for him to control everything. Transferring that to Hibs, creating a team in his own image and succeeding where so many others had failed would have been irresistable to TB, but there is no way that he could ever have coped with diluting that control to Leann Dempster of all people and so everything has ended in the only way it was ever going to - just a bit earlier than most would have thought.

TB did a lot of good things for this club, and I liked the guy on a personal level. Because of that I ain't going to revel in this, or rejoice in his downfall. All I'm going to do is see how John Hughes builds on what TB left and enjoy where that takes us.

Best of luck Terry.

see that spellchecker.........

Edited by davie
  • Agree 2

I'd like to think it's not intentional and just the way the written word is read but this does come across with a tone of sexism in it.

LD did her job well at M'well and in the background.  Joining Hibs has made her higher profile and she's been asked to do a role with a higher profile as Petrie intends to step back, this just means we are hearing more of and from her - not that she is "starting to believe her own hype".

The only person in this sorry tale who believed their own hype were the three stooges who left ICT.

I fail to see what was sexist about the post , care to elaborate ?

• Agree 1

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear Terry's 'take' on it all, when he eventually goes public! I hope he can find the dignity to admit that he made a mistake in moving from here.

Pele, Brew and Robbo all swallowed their pride and have, at one time or other, conceded that they left too soon and regretted it.

Unfortunately (for Butcher), the manner of his leaving means that he's burned-his-bridges and he will never be a candidate for a return here.

That's an interesting point there.  Going by this forum over a few years, both Robbo and Pele still seem well liked.  Brew not popular as a manager but no animosity as a person.

In fact, I remember even suggesting that to get us to the end of the season, a makeshift dream team of Pele, Robbo, Shearer and Christie in various roles should have been considered.  Other people might disagree due to perceived talent but not many because they moved.

For us and Butcher, it was all about that final Inverness v Hibs game. A disgrace that soiled everything.  Professionalism is all we asked.

• Agree 1

I have no football experience or coaching credentials, but Butcher had to go. Hibs spent the last couple of months needing 1 win to avoid relegation and they couldn't do it. They then only had to defend a 2-0 lead at home in the play-off and again they didn't do it. He took a team on the brink of the top 6 to be relegated, with the lowest total of points earned in the division. He had presided over a train-wreck and apparently lost the dressing room. In football, past accomplishments are overshadowed by recent performance, and Butcher under-performed big time. The fact that Butcher is now considered a Hearts legend says it all. Simple decision really.

Spot on Alex

Still ,TB had a great job ,at Caley Thistle  left for "greener pastures " but in the end,  made a complete balls up of his new job , and probably had to go

Renegade in reply to your questions regarding your criticism of my post on this thread.

first question and incorporating the second:-

How are the people who wanted Butcher and more so Petrie out  in my eyes not supporters? ......Firstly I gave no mention of Petrie but that is not the point ................. the answer to this is that those people who are always moaning and crying for blood (metaphorically speaking i.e. ) are glory seekers who demand success at all costs not like people who really want to get behind their teams and try to accept that it is the Board's job to decide on what action should be taken not the will of those who think they know best.

True his record was abysmal  and I can see where you are coming from but, again in my opinion, this sacking of managers in football leaves a lot to be desired and has done so for a very long time. He I believe certainly employed a catalogue of errors in his man management of the club and deserved disciplining for that but not sacking.

May I now correct you regarding his record. .......... TB took ICT back to the premier division after relegation in one season, proof available and on his record.

Ms Dempster's actions were rushed. It would have been much more prudent to have rebuked Terry for his misjudgements and then told him that he had so much time to prove he, with his own signings and rebuilt team were truly capable of getting back up and challenging for top spot. Failure would lead to dismissal.

I know little of Ms Dempster's record but she comes across to me as naive and a bit of a control freak.

Well there you have it, these are my opinions and you have yours isn't that what this forum is all about ?