Ten4

Backwards is still backwards regardless of whether or not we usually have a second half of the season slump (which I don't think is actually the case).  Fact is that we have gone backwards in the 2nd half of this season and did so last season.  IMO last season's slump was a lack of confidence caused by a realisation that after the Barnsley fiasco the manager did not actually want to be at this club.

But this thread is about Butcher and not the reasons for us going backwards this season.  Clearly Hibs have gone backwards more than anyone and after a brief honeymoon period the results seem to demonstrate a worrying (from a Hibs perspective) inability on Butcher's part to get the same performance level and results from the same squad of players as the previous manager did.  Presumably there will be a lot of new faces at Easter road next year and unless Butcher can deliver much bestter results pretty quickly with his choice of player I think early retirement beckons.

The stats say's it all played 24 only won 5 drawn 7 lost 12 with only a win % of 20.83. He is joint second worse manager with Jim Duffy only manager that's worse than them is Frank Sauzee, this is out of 30 managers!!!! 

By that criterion (win %), John Hughes is our worst ever manager! Baltacha previously managed 33% just below Brewster's 34%...but Hughes is on just 27%, dropping to 26% if we lose at Celtic Park.

We have gone backwards. They have gone further backwards and more rapidly.

Last season under Butcher, from mid December to end of season we won 6. In the same period this season, Yogi has won 5 already. Similar form to last season.

Aye keep hearing this going backwards stuff but the stats really dont show this as youve said. 

From clear in second with games in hand to struggling to fend off St Johnstone for fifth. I'm confused. In what respect is that not going backwards ?

Will your glass ever be half full. You say we're struggling to fend of St Johnston. I say we're fighting to overtake Dundee United. I'd also say that this going backwards, as you term it, is nothing to do with the current manager but more to do with the upset in rhythm by the previous one leaving. Some folk talk like we are Man U or some such. We are equal to ten other teams in this league and fighting for points just like the rest of them. At the end of the season I'll decide if we've gone backwards but as things stand I believe we'll pick up a few more points. Surviving a second season in top half and getting to a cup final, only losing on penalties, has to be seen as going forward a little.

• Agree 5

The stats say's it all played 24 only won 5 drawn 7 lost 12 with only a win % of 20.83. He is joint second worse manager with Jim Duffy only manager that's worse than them is Frank Sauzee, this is out of 30 managers!!!! 

Moyes has just been sacked by ManUre and he had a 53% win rate ;-))

Matches: 51

Wins: 27

Draws: 9

Losses: 15

Win %: 53

• Agree 1

Sneckboy--c'mon, he has only recently got his feet under the table. Be fair and stop comparing him to other folks in a different era.

I was merely demonstrating the futility of using win percentage as a guide to managers perceived ‘success’ at a club. I agree there are too many variables to consider for it to be a fair reflection. (era, strength of opposition in a given division, length of tenure etc.)

I was also hinting  that while many may naturally indulge in schadenfreude at Butcher’s difficulties, ‘those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones’.

If some assume Terry’s jacket is on a shoogly peg then the same should be considered for Hughes. I don’t buy the ‘Hughes has barely got his feet under the table’ rhetoric without affording the same objectivity towards Butcher.

They both assumed the mantle at their new clubs within a few weeks of each other and both have broadly similar statistical records but neither has covered themselves in glory, to date. 

We’ve won 1 league game (against Partick Thistle) in the 10 matches at home since John came in. That statistic is damning enough without including the cup tie against Dundee United which saw Hughes preside over the worst home reverse in the clubs entire history…we really are in no position to gloat.

Moyes has just been sacked by ManUre and he had a 53% win rate ;-))

Matches: 51

Wins: 27

Draws: 9

Losses: 15

Win %: 53

Difference is people want to manage Man U not many want to manage Hibs 

Butcher to United? Ha. Ha!   Wouldn't that be something --the headlines would be writ large and blaring in the English papers.

And a final word, Sneckboy, if I may--there is no comparison between Butcher and Hughes because, so far as I can assess, Mr T B went behind the back of the management of ICT to  set himself up and then quit. He also then ran  down the club afterwards. I have never heard that Mr J Hughes ever did something like this nor is he ever likely to.

So I would never trust T B at our club again whereas it seems that J Hughes has much more character and can be trusted. I think what you see with J H is what you get and I will settle for that for starters.

We'll see what happens next season--if he can get the team working for him you just never know what the outcome may be. 

In the most recent game against the Dons I noted how they seemed to run out of ideas in the second half  so ICT can do very well with more encouragement and teamwork.

So--there you go! A little bit of football talk from the Wild West. :clapoverhead: 

Its a bit ironic looking back at the comments Butcher made early on in his Hibs tenure where he compared them to Marks and Spencer, and ICT to Aldi.

If you look at the retail sector, it's the discount stores like Aldi and Lidl who are on the rise, while the more established franchises like Marks and Spencer are struggling.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 6

Come on the Jambos!!

Agent Butcher 'We want everyone associated with Hibernian ....to implement a winning mindset'

Sir Rod Petrie of Oblivion  'He inherits a talented squad of players....'

'Terry is vastly experienced in Scottish football and an outstanding leader of men.'

'We've appointed a first class management team to deliver continued success..'.

We believe Ross County will stay up with another last day victory over Butcher's boys - how ironic that could be!!!

Hibernian manager Terry Butcher: "I read a few comments from some of the players after last Saturday about sticking your chest out, showing more pride and standing up and being counted.

"That's what we have been talking about all week and that's what we intend to do.

"To do that we have got to be confident in the way we want to play, confident in each other and confident that we can get the right result for Hibernian Football Club.

"The guys have been extremely positive this week because it's a derby match.

"We have had a good week. I know I have said that in the past and we haven't performed on the Saturday but it's a derby and you know you have got to do well, you know you have got to raise your game, you know you have got to do loads of things in the match because our supporters demand it.

"We certainly demand it of the players and the players demand it of themselves too.

"I'm not making any promises about the game, I'm just saying that we are going to go out there and do our very, very best to win it."

Very cunning use of the I word - and who said that there was no I in narcissistic reasoning !!