Gibraltar

Yngwie

I have a £50 free bet to use up, and was looking for a "safe" way to convert it into cash. That's when I noticed that Gibraltar make their international debut tonight, v Slovakia.  They will be taking part in Euro 2016 qualifying next year, but it has apparently been agreed that UEFA will keep them apart from Spain when the draw is made. Obviously saving them for the final.

Home games to be played in Portugal.....assuming the team bus ever actually makes it past the first border it encounters.

Former Portsmouth player and Dundee United trialist and current San Roque player Liam Walker is lining up as their only pro as far as I'm aware, similar to Tahiti

EDIT - Danny Higginbotham and Scott Wiseman are also starting

Edited by Rival

I have a £50 free bet to use up, and was looking for a "safe" way to convert it into cash.

Well that plan worked. 0-0 FT  :slapme:

Should have known the underdog would do well. I seem to remember the Faroes came onto the scene and beat Austria in their first senior game.

Still, at least I backed Scotland at 6/1 when they were getting an absolute doing in Norway, just 2 minutes before Brown scored.

• Agree 1

I have a £50 free bet to use up, and was looking for a "safe" way to convert it into cash.

Should have known the underdog would do well. I seem to remember the Faroes came onto the scene and beat Austria in their first senior game.

Still, at least I backed Scotland at 6/1 when they were getting an absolute doing in Norway, just 2 minutes before Brown scored.

You should've known their defence would be as firm as a rock. :smile:

Should have known the underdog would do well.

I know your pain Yngwie.

My folks left me home alone during Italia 90 to cruise around the carribean.

They gave me £100 to survive for the month which I immediately stuck on Ireland to beat Egypt at odds of evens. 

Game finished 0-0. Haven't bet on football since.

• Agree 1

I was going to suggest putting it on Croatia to beat Iceland at 4/7. But I was also going to recommend (despite the poor odds) "throwing in Slovakia" to form a 'double' to boost your winnings! Glad I didn't...I would now be sitting-out a forum ban! However, it was a free bet so nothing lost really.

I very rarely win with free bets. Because it's not my money and there's obviously no stake return, I often put them on draws to get 9/4 or 12/5. Sometimes they don't let you put them on anything shorter than 1/2. England v Germany last night would have maybe attracted me to the draw - which would have lost!

Anyway, nae luck Yngwie. Fair play for saying in advance your intentions. I'm sick of seeing twitter photos of winning bets AFTER the event! Show us the losing ones!

Gibraltar will probably not be quite as poor as San Marino, but still a staggering result for them!

• 6 months later...

Gibraltar recorded their first ever win last night, beating Malta 1-0. They're definitely not going to be 'just another San Marino'!

Scotland should get 6 points from them in the Euro qualifiers, any team 'dropping points' to them in our tight qualifying group will rue-the-day.

They have to play their home games in southern Portugal as their stadium isn't yet up to International standard.

Fortunately, we play them away in the last game, with their visit to Glasgow being their 5th match in the qualifiers - hopefully they'll have been 'softened up' a bit by then!

Point of note- they use 'God Save The Queen' as their anthem which will go down a treat at Hampden...

(sorry to resurrect this painful thread, Yngwie!)

• 3 months later...