The new manager thread

Yngwie

I know many of you won't have followed the leagues across the pond, but I'd highly recommend Jason Kreis.  His team is still in the playoffs over here, but he would be worth sniffing around IMO.

What about Mo Johnson?

I'll get my own coat thanks...

Next you'll be suggesting Paul Mariner or Aron Winter ....... although I would pay good money to see Bob De Klerk squaring up to Derek Adams :lol:

Kreis wouldnt be a bad shout, very good manager, proven track record on this side of the pond with a largely unglamorous club. I wonder though, if he (or any other manager that earned their stripes in MLS) would be able to cope with any league outside MLS ... in very much the same way as we see managers coming into MLS from outside who struggle to adapt to a single entity league with a parity structure.

I'd fight to be the first in line to punch Mo Johnson...that was simply for you Scotty.

Kreis was somewhat a serious suggestion, but I do agree it would be a bit of a longshot.  Ideally you'd bring him in for a year under someone to mentor while he learns the league.  I'm not sure anyone is up for that type of scenario though and it seems a lot of work.  He does impress with his preparation and organization though.

One thing all of our previous managerial appointments have in common is plenty of up to date of experience of Scottish football (be it managing, coaching or playing) and I wouldn't expect the next one to be any different in that respect.

Ok, as a club we have tended to go for young ambitious managers. However Tel has shown us that an old wise head isnt bad either. So if i was to draw a shortlist it would be something like this.

Young and ambitious: Paul Hartley. Paul at Alloa has won the 3rd div and secured promotion to the 1st div in successive years on no budget(like us). His team is made up of young talent so he clearly has eye for talent or has an efficient backroom team. Also they are currently 5th in 1st div.

Colin Cameron. Has done a cracking job at keeping Cowden in 1st div on no budget and is used to pash crowds. I believe cowdens average is 300 or somthing

Old wise head: Craig Levein. Ok had a horrific time as scotland manager but his club record is impeccable. Took Hearts to europe in succesive years. Only jambo manager to do this. Took a lowly Dundee Utd in 2005 to the best of the rest in 2009 and took them to a league cup final. He has never won a trophy so our league cup potential may lure him.

Alex mcleish. Had great success at hibs and Rangers. However this success came from spending money (which wasnt there). Has had mixed success in England but knows how to take average teams to cup finals and sometimes win them.

Imo i would like Levein or Hartley. However what are the chances of Levein as manager and Hartley as number 2? That would be pretty fecking awesome tbh!!

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

For me, it has to be either Kenny Shiels or Craig Levein.

Probably guys like David Weir, Chris Sutton and John Collins will be linked.

What about Billy Stark, would he leave Scotland's Under 21 post?

What If Mo stays and TB just goes (unlikely but ya know) he could be caretaker manager until end of season?

Good shout, like the famous liverpool bootroom. But sadly Cant ever see terry and mo parting.

Decent shout about Robbo being Leveins number two, i reckon that would be a great partnership! Robbo has always had a place in his heart for us.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/inverness/247088-inverness-set-to-turn-down-any-hibernian-approach-for-manager-terry-butcher/

He would have to quit to goto hibs it seems and kenny is keen to get him signed up for another 2 - 3 years!

Remember the Barnsley situation?

we were in the semi's and in the top 4 and he didn't go because "he still had a job to do" shame its not the same situation as then.... wait a minute.

:p

• Agree 1

For those who think we shouldn't be really discussing this until Terry has definitely gone, you are right. But I started the thread because as soon as the BBC story broke, people were naturally starting to think about his replacement and post their thoughts, and the Butcher Offski? thread was inevitably going to become dominated by that, rather than the will/he won't situation.

The job at ICT needs someone with a passion and a big heart. Someone who can get seek out mediocre players from lower leagues and make them stars. Someone who has a passion for the area and an understanding of very small player budgets. I know someone who fits the bill. Mr. T. Butcher

• Agree 3

I would be keen on an ambitious young manager and would be happy to take a punt on the likes of Paul Hartley, Colin Cameron or our own Charlie Christie who, in my opinion, quit far too early last time around. Ideally any one of them to be paired with an experienced old head in the Donald Park mould.

Personally, even if he could be persuaded to stay, I think Maurice Malpas would be too much of a risk. He seems a very able number two but his record on his own is very poor indeed.

He will probably leave with Butcher but it would be ideal of we could retain the services of Steve Marcella possibly as Director of Football with responsibility for player recruitment.