The new manager thread

Yngwie

I had a look at Paul Sturrock's record on Wikipedia - it's pretty blo0dy good!

Very successful at clubs with very little money. Certainly meets many of the requirements that Doofers Dad mentions above.

Something about him makes me think he'd be a very good fit at ICT.

I know levein was successful at hearts and utd but I just don't think he'd be a good fit with us.

Btw, the reason Houston left utd was he wouldn't accept a pay cut on his new contract. That pay cut was still more than we could afford to pay him.

Either way I have faith in the board. I just hope they consider Sturrock.

Onwards and upwards!

I was meaning Craig Levein.

Craig Brown probably doesn't know what day it is anymore!

Isn't he in a DOF type role at Aberdeen after handing the reins over to McInnes?

Doddery Old Fool ?

Like it.....wonder if Mr Bennett is reading this and relating to his role lol

Admittedly those odds are from January 2009 :lol:

Mucho respect to Kingsmills who, on seeing that list back then, promptly replied "Terry Butcher strikes me as a good bet at 25-1" :clapping:

So much so that Kingsmills pocketed £250 as a result.  :smile:

Gonnae let us know as soon as you've decided who to back this time!

It will be interesting to hear who will be genuine candidates and I'm sure there will be the usual suspects among them.  At the moment I think Kenny Shields would be good fit for us. He is very community minded, tries to give young players a chance in the 1st team and likes to see football played on the deck.  I know he can be an outspoken pain in the neck at times but I think he may be a bit more reserved afer his experience at Killie.

I also would have no problem with Craig Leivein, if he's interested.

Paul Hartley may also be worth a go if the Board is going down the young and upcoming manager route.

I voted for Hartley because the job he has done at Alloa has been fairly phenomenal but I certainly wouldn't be averse to Levein and agree that there needs to be a role for Richie somewhere whether that be as manager or assistant, head coach whatever, as long as we can keep him here.

And to everyone going on about 4-6-0, in fairness to Levein I think the only error he made was coming out and naming the formation as 4-6-0, if he hadn't said anything I strongly believe nobody would have said anything or even noticed. As soon as it was announced the sofa fans and football manager players who think they know everything about the game went absolutely ballistic and he's never been able to live it down. Lets not forget Spain won Euro 2012 playing a 4-6-0, obviously Del Bosque was influenced having played Scotland in the qualifiers  :tongueincheek:

And to everyone going on about 4-6-0, in fairness to Levein I think the only error he made was coming out and naming the formation as 4-6-0, if he hadn't said anything I strongly believe nobody would have said anything or even noticed. As soon as it was announced the sofa fans and football manager players who think they know everything about the game went absolutely ballistic and he's never been able to live it down. Lets not forget Spain won Euro 2012 playing a 4-6-0, obviously Del Bosque was influenced having played Scotland in the qualifiers  :tongueincheek:

I noticed.

While it is true say, that when done right, the 4-6-0 can work as was showed by the possession-based Spain and the counter-attacking Roma to great effect, what Levein put out was nothing short of a travesty.  He set out that Scotland team in an ultra-defensive attempt to keep the score down against what was a rather mediocre Czech side, and was nothing but cowards football.  It was a decision that should have resulted in his instant sacking.

Shiels - no, NO, NO, NO !!!!

I know its the daily record, but they are just quoting other sources ... http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-manager-kenny-shiels-most-1942939

After reading that, maybe Sheils wouldn't be so bad!

Edited by Renegade

Shiels - no, NO, NO, NO !!!!

I know its the daily record, but they are just quoting other sources ... http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-manager-kenny-shiels-most-1942939

He is outspoken, and as I said earlier, a pain in the neck at times.  But he was also a good manager who won the league cup so he must be doing something right.  If you look the links at the bottom of the Retard's article you will see that the fans didn't want him to go and even on Saturday they were singing his name. 

I suspect if he was given the job it would be much less vocal Mr Shiels but no less effective for it.

Edited by Kind of Blue
  • Agree 1

Personally I wouldnt want Levein. His style of play is not ours and I think he'd mess up what we have in place. Dont know too much about Sturrock. I've already suggested McInnaly but another I wouldnt mind is Yogi Hughes. He done well at Falkirk and was trying to do good at Hibs but didn't get the chance. He likes on the ground football and did have a young Hibs team playing good football. They just weren't getting the results.

There are also one or two out there with ICT in their hearts who could maybe do a job for us. Barry Wilson. Paul Sheerin could be another shout.

At the end of the day our board has never failed in its management selection. (apart from the once we took someone on for a second stint)

Personally I wouldnt want Levein. His style of play is not ours and I think he'd mess up what we have in place. Dont know too much about Sturrock. I've already suggested McInnaly but another I wouldnt mind is Yogi Hughes. He done well at Falkirk and was trying to do good at Hibs but didn't get the chance. He likes on the ground football and did have a young Hibs team playing good football. They just weren't getting the results.

There are also one or two out there with ICT in their hearts who could maybe do a job for us. Barry Wilson. Paul Sheerin could be another shout.

At the end of the day our board has never failed in its management selection. (apart from the once we took someone on for a second stint)

Not sure that we could afford Yogi as we would also need to employ a translator for the benefit of all our English players.

• Agree 1

Levein is risky. Went to Leicester, failed. Was good with DU, and made an absoloute hash of the Scotland job, not just the infamous let's get a draw formation. But what I didn't really like was his attitude while Scotland manager - it all seemed to go to his head, and he made some terrible selections and tactics, as well as alienating some players, which a Scotland manager can ill afford, and which I believe is a bad sign. Basically I would prefer not to have someone with a lot of baggage like that, who might think they are a bit better than we deserve, and needs rehabilitation. I would much prefer our earlier model, which was to match an up and coming team with an up and coming manager, one keen, ambitious and with a good playing philosophy. Any manager is a risk, I would prefer to risk the new, and not the old.

Edited by The Long Man

Would Justin Edinburgh be a good choice?  Done quite well with Newport I believe, and might be someone who could work well with the players we have at the moment.  Likes the 4-3-3 formation as well.

Bonus points for having a great name.

Edited by Renegade

Would Justin Edinburgh be a good choice?  Done quite well with Newport I believe, and might be someone who could work well with the players we have at the moment.  Likes the 4-3-3 formation as well.

Nah.  With a name like that he'd be here for 6 months and then off to Hibs to replace Butcher

• Agree 1

I would be very open to Levein and Houston. His time as national manager was torrid without question but his SPL record, especially with United is fantastic. He built his United side on small time signings and youth players and while it was Houston that won the cup it was Leveins team.

Levein in particular has a point to prove and if he is serious about getting his career back on track he should view this as a great opportunity to do so. He and Houston work well together and as Kenny Cameron said whoever comes in inherits a great team. I see no reason why they cant emmulate the success theyve had in the past with us.

Out of other canditates he may be an old boot but Jimmy Calderwood has been a success in the past (albeit with a bit of cash). Led Dunfermline to a final and Europe while also leading Aberdeen to Europe and keeping them in the top 6 during his entire tenure. He wouldnt be popular I know, just saying if push came to shove I wouldnt mind him.

A few folks have mentioned Gary McAllister. I was a huge fan of him as a kid and from what I heard he was given a raw deal during his last job at Leeds. No question that he would provide a wealth of experience. Willing to bet he would have some useful contacts down South too.

Paul Hartley seems an exciting prospect as a manager. Has done a terrific job with Alloa and Im sure would be eager to get stuck into a top flight job. He would also be used to working with a small budget too.

Given whats at steak this season I would prefer someone with experience in the top flight but if it came down to someone untested Hartley is the outstanding candidate. Loadsa names have been mentioned but those are the ones that really stand out for me.

Edited by AJS

Nah.  With a name like that he'd be here for 6 months and then off to Hibs to replace Butcher

Apparently his nickname is "Musselburgh"!