The new manager thread

Yngwie

Really, really, do not want Shiels anywhere near ICT. Massive chip on his shoulder and by all accounts a divisive personality. Not at all what the club needs to take it forward.

Hartley would be a great appointment but maybe with an experienced no. 2 beside him, a la Robbo and Park? Not a negative comment on Hartley's ability, of which he obviously has plenty, more a recognition that we are a fair step up from Alloa.

We've done pretty well with managerial appointments in the past, ignoring the blip of Brewster #2, so I've every faith the board will do their due dilligence and appoint the right man.

wouldnt say either sutton or larsson have failed at management. given suttons only had 1 year in it, in charge of lincoln, he kept them up after they had a horrendous start to the season, and then left due to ''family reasons''.

Larsson had 1 good year just missing out on promotion and 1 indifferent year avoiding relegation in his experience managing. What we know is that both were very good players and have experience working at the highest level with some of very good managers over the years.

Sutton left Lincoln in 20th place.  Larsson had a team tipped for promotion fighting relegation.  There is nothing in their management careers that says they are ready for taking a successful team in the SPL to the next level.  Nothing whatsoever.

As I've previously pointed out, a successful playing career means nothing in management.  Truly awful players and even those who haven't played at all have also made fine managers.  Who would you rather, multiple-title winning McCoist or perennenial reserve Walter Smith as a player?  Now who as a manager?  No relation between the two positions.

im not saying that there playing careers will make them good managers. what im saying is both are unproven, and both know the scottish game. yes sutton left lincoln in 20th but he also joined them when theyd lost 9 of their first 10 games. it was a bit of a sinking ship at the time, and imo he did well to keep them up.

with larsson in his first season he looked to be taking the team up, before form dropped towards the end of the season and they finished, 5th much like ourselves last season. it was an obvious blow, and looks like he never managed to pick them up again before eventually leaving.

you cant really say either will be good, or bad managers from that. however i think both would want us to play with the ball much like the way butcher wanted us to. and would look to build on what weve got, aswell as both having good links, which would help hugely with scouting and replacing marsella. (is he still with us? i read today butcher was gonna get him anyway)

Having researched Paul Hartley's stats I'd be really happy to see us take a punt on him. Didnt realise Alloa were 3rd division when he took over. With the cup looming we need a winner in the dugout. With 2 promotions to his 2 and a half year career as a manager, as well as his side flying high in the 1st Division (screw off, Im not saying Championship) he would bring a winning mentality into the dressing room as well as an eagerness to succeed and prove himself at the highest level. 

Amongst all the names that are flying about he is the one that is standing out for me now.

Apparently when he took over at Alloa they only had one player on their books. Sterling job, IMHO.

• Agree 1

Paddypower no longer has ICT manager in it's manager betting. Is it all over?

No. They take the odds down at night for certain books. It'll be back-up in the morning. I don't know why they do it!

and assistant manager would likely be Guillem Balague, a journalist who's never kicked a ball in his life.

Well that's me persuaded then.......

A journalist you say? Well that settles it. I would like to throw my hat into the mix. I'm in OK shape, love the club, polite and rarely late. When do I start?

Ok, so there is a topic on the new manager and who we would / would not like to get the job, but who do you think that the board will actually appoint?

I've placed 2 bets (I'm not going to say on whom) and I've said who I would like to be appointed on another thread but the person I think will actually get the job is...

Paul Hartley.

What about you who do you think will get the job?

There is another thread to argue the merits of those being linked but this thread is just for your opinion on who will get the job, regardless on who you would (or would not) like to get the job.

Ally McCoist a bit like Neil Lennon would need a lot of money to buy players. I don't think either of them could manage Teams who are on small budgets.

It takes skill, patience and a lot of good training to produce the goods, neither possess those attributes.