The new manager thread

Yngwie

I see the Highland News mention out of nowhere that Henrik Larsson is 'linked' with the job.  He's coaching at a club in Sweden, so may well have had some commitments to deal with.  I wonder if he's one of the ones being alluded to.

Edited by Renegade

a good bit of PR releasing that statement.

Yes, although I think it was just a response to set the record straight regarding the current state of play after the Hartley story broke yesterday, otherwise I don't think they would have announced anything in the middle of the interview process.

Not for the first time over the years, the media assume that because we want speak to someone, we have made our minds up and that is the person who is going to get the job. They are clearly used to the methods of other clubs who carry out their recruitment process and THEN ask for the permission that they should have sought much earlier.

I can assure you that these updates are purely driven by the Chairman wanting to keep the fans up to date (as much as is possible/practical) and are in no way influenced by, or in response too, the press/media speculation and chat.

• Agree 2

Interesting that some of the candidates are still at clubs. Obviously Hartley, but maybe a couple of 'wildcards' that have slipped under the radar! Intriguing stuff.

Darren Fergusson?  Perhaps looking to move on before he gets the sack?   He's had Peterborough playing a good attacking game but works under a chairman who is not easily pleased and is expecting an immediate return to the Championship.  With a bit of support from the old man he could be looking to emulate Sir Alex by delivering success with an unfashionable North of Scotland club.  Just a thought.

Everyone hated Paul Hartley, he was one of those players.

He changed through his career, starting as a winger, moving inside to be an attacking midfielder at Hearts and then playing deeper.  Perhaps I'm reaching a bit but that bodes well for him as a coach I think - he's obviously shown that he can learn new skills, is good positionally and can develop.

Might well be completely wrong but I can recall in one our our first SPL seasons an opposition player giving our fans the old spastic/mongol face (use tongue to push out the part of your mouth under your bottom lips). Was that by any chance Hartley?

Might well be completely wrong but I can recall in one our our first SPL seasons an opposition player giving our fans the old spastic/mongol face (use tongue to push out the part of your mouth under your bottom lips). Was that by any chance Hartley?

I bet I'm not the only one who reads this and tries to follow the instructions.

I thought it went back longer to div 1 days, so possibly St Johnstone. Somehow I had convinced myself he had played for Livi :lol:

I bet I'm not the only one who reads this and tries to follow the instructions.

:lol: Actually I think he may well have gone the whole hog by also tapping the back of one wrist with the the palm of other hand. Go on.....

The more I think about it the more certain I am it was him.

I find the use of the word "presentations" in the club's statement to be interesting and wonder if that gives us an insight into how the interviews are being conducted.  It's not uncommon to be asked to make a presentation at an interview these days, particularly if the job is well paid and responsible, which the ICT manager's job is.  If candidates are having to do this they would need time to prepare and that might explain, to some extent, the slowness if the process. 

We used to hate Hartley as a player didn't we? He used to regularly get the 'horse's erse' chant but I can't remember what the history was........

If I remember right, there used to be songs about him wearing his wife's red/pink knickers, but I may be wrong!

It was a Hearts player that wound up the crowd but it wasn't Hartley, it was Skacel. I remember he'd scored a belter, annoyed our crowd with his uncalled for celebration and turned round to a booking - plonker.

Notice not until that long ago, ICT seemed pretty certain that the new manager would be in place for the Morton game.  Now, even after this whole Hartley saga, they're now certain he won't be in place for said game, and probably won't be appointed until the middle of next week.  I wonder if something has thrown them into disarray.  Has somebody of real note thrown his hat into the ring out of the blue who really needs considering?  

As I mentioned earlier, today (and as far as I'm aware, they're the first to do it), the Highland News seems to hint that Henrik Larsson has entered the running.  Are the board now taking their time to see what he has to say (despite his prominent name), and they're needing more time to think about it.  It could of course be someone else and a bigger managerial name that they are now pondering.  Interesting times ahead, and I for one am loving it.

I wonder if something has thrown them into disarray. Has somebody of real note thrown his hat into the ring out of the blue who really needs considering?

It could of course be someone else and a bigger managerial name that they are now pondering. Interesting times ahead, and I for one am loving it.

Yup. Paul Sturrock! ;-)

• Agree 1

Notice not until that long ago, ICT seemed pretty certain that the new manager would be in place for the Morton game. Now, even after this whole Hartley saga, they're now certain he won't be in place for said game, and probably won't be appointed until the middle of next week. I wonder if something has thrown them into disarray. Has somebody of real note thrown his hat into the ring out of the blue who really needs considering?

As I mentioned earlier, today (and as far as I'm aware, they're the first to do it), the Highland News seems to hint that Henrik Larsson has entered the running. Are the board now taking their time to see what he has to say (despite his prominent name), and they're needing more time to think about it. It could of course be someone else and a bigger managerial name that they are now pondering. Interesting times ahead, and I for one am loving it.

I think having someone of Henrik's stature might have a positive outcome with the crowds.

Read today that he went from 16/1 to 3/1. He is my second choice behind Paul Hartley.

Edited by ICTRoughi

Notice not until that long ago, ICT seemed pretty certain that the new manager would be in place for the Morton game. Now, even after this whole Hartley saga, they're now certain he won't be in place for said game, and probably won't be appointed until the middle of next week. I wonder if something has thrown them into disarray. Has somebody of real note thrown his hat into the ring out of the blue who really needs considering?

As I mentioned earlier, today (and as far as I'm aware, they're the first to do it), the Highland News seems to hint that Henrik Larsson has entered the running. Are the board now taking their time to see what he has to say (despite his prominent name), and they're needing more time to think about it. It could of course be someone else and a bigger managerial name that they are now pondering. Interesting times ahead, and I for one am loving it.

I think having someone of Henrik's stature might have a positive outcome with the crowds.

Read today that he went from 16/1 to 3/1. He is my second choice behind Paul Hartley.

Good Points  -

• Massive player, who could get people through the turnstyles.
  • Could potentially help the club hoover-up Celtic-leaning Highland fans, who (if they like what they see) could change allegiance to ICT.
  • Supposedly plays an entertaining, attacking style of football in a 4-3-3 formation.
  • Name would attract players.
  • Could potentially keep players at the club (a la Butcher).  He wouldn't be an unknown to them (like Barry Wilson or somebody would).
  • Probably loads of contacts throughout the world.
  • Potentially more coverage of ICT abroad.

Negative Points - 

• Could potentially move on very quickly should a big team come in for him.
  • Doesn't have the best of records as a manager in his own right, and supposedly did rather poorly considering the size of the club.
  • Are we looking at him just because of his name?

Overall, there's some very good things that someone like Larsson (or someone of that ilk) could bring to the club.  If he needs anything, he'd need an experienced assistant, Jimmy Nicholl or someone like that.  I'd certainly back him if he got it.

Edited by Renegade

I can assure you that these updates are purely driven by the Chairman wanting to keep the fans up to date (as much as is possible/practical) and are in no way influenced by, or in response too, the press/media speculation and chat.

We have such a good chairman !

Edited by CaleyThistle

Peter Grant ( ex Celtpit ) was on Radio tonight saying he would be up for the job, infact any job!

Certainly has experience coaching, but is out of work right now

Also didn't display much up to date knowledge about current Scottish football. He kept going on about the old firm taking all the best Scottish players from other Scottish clubs? Also doesn't apply for jobs apparently!