The new manager thread

Yngwie

After the Hartley excitement earlier in the week, if it was someone else to get the job (unless it was somebody really good of course), I'd be rather disappointed.  I think he'd fit this club perfectly, and we could well miss out on a man who could be a great success at a rival club.

Levein, Sutton and the like, fill me with dread to be honest.

I was dreading Butcher when he was appointed 

Six interviewees?: from - Hartley, Hughes, Sutton, Shiels, Levein?, Laslo?, Alexander?, Burley?

Two for 2nd interview?: Hartley, Levein

Appointed?: Hartley

If these guesses are anywhere near the mark, it would be impossible to justify appointing Hughes or Sutton....

Simples!

For different reasons Id be happy with Levein or Hartley.

Out of all the experienced names in the running, Levein is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of what he has achieved with Hearts and Dundee United. Internationally he bombed but he will see this as a major shot at redemption. He will provide a wealth of experience and probably have a good set of contacts to utilise in the transfer market.

Hartey is untested at top level but his success with Alloa is nothing short of amazing. He has earned a top flight move by guiding Alloa a long way in a short space of time. He has no baggage as a relatively new manager to the game and would be relishing his chance to step up no doubt, think out of all the applicants he is the only one that would get more or less unanimous support - a crucial thing at this point in the season.

For the sake of unity and giving a promising young manager his big break Im still very much Team Hartley...but if Levein is chosen Id get behind him all the same.

• Agree 2

His handling of the media was poor as well, which doesn't help the fact he also comes across as one of the dullest men on Earth!

I was also routinely horrified by his regular attire as Scotland manager, particularly the time he was pictured with a terrible flip-flop/stubble combo, before taking the match against Brazil, where in-turn he looked in the dugout like he'd slept the night before in a Soho doorway!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

That beard he had made him look like a tramp.

Hartley also looks a bit like someone who has a cardboard sign saying "HOMLESS AND HUNGARY EX-SOLJER PLEASE GIVE MONEY FOR DRUGS CUP OF TEA" in his back pocket.

With these comments Im assuming you're a David Beckham lookalike !!!

Well, if he follows T Butcher's lead at Easter Road it won't be long before he looks really spiffy. At Tulloch Stadium Butcher often looked the opposite.

I mean, getting a "real job" always adds to the panache doesn't it and one must look the part.

Cynical? - Och, I suppose so..

That beard he had made him look like a tramp.

Hartley also looks a bit like someone who has a cardboard sign saying "HOMLESS AND HUNGARY EX-SOLJER PLEASE GIVE MONEY FOR DRUGS CUP OF TEA" in his back pocket.

With these comments Im assuming you're a David Beckham lookalike !!!

To be fair when I see Chris I do think 'Is that Gerard Butler straight from the set of 300?'

I would expect as Shearer & Kellacher have taken the team and we still have Christie involved at the club, the board will be looking for a manager to come in with maybe an assistant to work with these guys. Someone like Levien strikes me as a manager who takes a whole backroom team with him and would want to change everything to make it his own, possibly Shields too, which I dont think the board and the fans would want. Therefore a younger manager like Hartley or Alexander would make sense.

With Paul Hartley being 37 and Richie Foran 33, I wonder if there would be any confliction but I trust Richie would be professional throughout should Hartley get the job. Likewise with Hartley with the job but that's one thing about young managers you wonder about.

Edited by ICTRoughi

Good point. I have been wondering whether Foran would be allowed on the interview panel? Or maybe the second interview is to see how the 'chosen two' get on with the players...

Also i've been thinking out of Avril Levein and Hartley, who is most likely to cause the riddledinks to seethe beyond despair? This imo has to be taken very seriously because there is nothing more perfect than watching them cry with bitter tears. Well since Hartley is a proven wind up merchant there really is only one option for the post...

Go Team Hartley

Good point. I have been wondering whether Foran would be allowed on the interview panel? Or maybe the second interview is to see how the 'chosen two' get on with the players...

Also i've been thinking out of Avril Levein and Hartley, who is most likely to cause the riddledinks to seethe beyond despair? This imo has to be taken very seriously because there is nothing more perfect than watching them cry with bitter tears. Well since Hartley is a proven wind up merchant there really is only one option for the post...

Go Team Hartley

With your pro Hartley stance, we can assume he is on the shortlist?

• Agree 2

Someone i know was at the ticket office today and they said it's down to the final two and they wouldn't be surprised if the manager is announced on monday

May indeed be announced on Monday but I would be surprised if anyone in the ticket office know any more than the rest of us.

Yeah, it's been impressive how little info has leaked out during the recruitment process. Frustratingly impressive! But an indication that we conduct our business in the correct manner.

Are there any bookies offering odds at the moment? I can't find any online.

Someone i know was at the ticket office today and they said it's down to the final two and they wouldn't be surprised if the manager is announced on monday

Well there you go. Thats what weve been waiting about 3 weeks and 1020 posts to here. Who needs an anouncement from the club if someone you know has been at the ticket office. :amazed:

• Agree 1

Well there you go. Thats what weve been waiting about 3 weeks and 1020 posts to here. Who needs an anouncement from the club if someone you know has been at the ticket office. :amazed:

That's a bit unfair.  If anyone else knew any better we wouldn't have had 1020 posts.

• Agree 1

Levine's record is nothing to write home about. He had modest 'success' at Hearts and Dundee United. Finishing relatively high up the SPL with one of the biggest budgets in the SPL doesn't impress me. Any average manager could achieve that. His teams usually play ugly, negative football. He was an absolute disaster at Leicester and the worst, and most hated Scotland manager ever.

Hartley has taken Alloa way further than an average manager would be able to. He's shown he can work with a small budget to produce teams capable of punching above their weight, whilst even playing attractive football. Exactly what we need.  

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

Imo, it will be one from Craig Levein, Kenny Shiels, Paul Hartley or John Hughes.

May be wrong with Levein and Shiels though as we don't ken if they've been interviewed or not.

Levine's record is nothing to write home about. He had modest 'success' at Hearts and Dundee United. Finishing relatively high up the SPL with one of the biggest budgets in the SPL doesn't impress me. Any average manager could achieve that. His teams usually play ugly, negative football. He was an absolute disaster at Leicester and the worst, and most hated Scotland manager ever.

Hartley has taken Alloa way further than an average manager would be able to. He's shown he can work with a small budget to produce teams capable of punching above their weight, whilst even playing attractive football. Exactly what we need.

This!