The new manager thread

Yngwie

Very harsh words to describe John Hughes.

Forget the accent or the lack of high quality grammar. It's really just about  winning, motivation AND LUCK., plus an empathetic chairman or owners who believe in giving someone the backing he needs AND a fair chance --which is not , in my view, just one season.

He dresses well, is clean-cut and knows the game. Hartley for all his obvious motivational skills is basically a real scruff.

As  to his actual management abilities we know virtually nothing except that John Hughes picked the wrong team. The managers that came after him at Hibs were no great shakes so where did the problem at Easter Road actually lie, pray--with Hughes? I don't think so.

What is not in  doubt is his passion for the game! If you a looking for a University-educated, cerebral , rocket scientist for a Manager then probably he may disappoint. But give Mr. Hughes  a fair shake and let's just see what develops.

• Agree 1

Will believe the Hartley story when I see it. Money will be there and security will be there and if Geography isn't an issue then I smell I wind up. But the sooner this ends the better - Team Hartley!

No wind up . You can say sorry on Wednesday

Same AJS.  Eagle, I'm afraid you are posting from under a bridge.

Hartley has taken Alloa as far as he can, consolidation is his only realistic goal now.  So, into the spotlight he will go.  Can't see him turning down the job and pretty sure KC is going to go for a young fledgling dynamo than a journeyman.  And Shiels, my goodness, Terry's wine replaced with Kenny's whine.  Never, and he knows it.  He should learn to stop speaking to the papers.

Could Eagle be John Hughes?

Sounds a good theory - he has only posted on the new Manager subject and perhaps expects to see the headline 'The Eagle has Landed' but will Owen Coyle come in at the last minute and steal the prize?

Then ask Yogi to be his number 2 again?

Edited by CELTIC1CALEY3

Hughes built a truly great Hibs team, being short of a couple of quality players to be a real force.  However, he just couldn't stop the slide.  As I've said previously, he needs a good tactician, otherwise it could happen again.

I'd still rather Jimmy Calderwood. Enviable record at both the Dons and the Pars.  A lot better than any of the other choices, bar potentially Hartley and arguably Levein.  But if Hartley has said he doesn't want to live in the Highlands, best shot of him. No part-timers please.

Could you ever imagine players like Meekings, Draper, Mackay etc signing for us and saying "There was interest from clubs down south but I came to ICT because I was really excited about the prospect of working with John Hughes....."

• Agree 1

Very harsh words to describe John Hughes.

Forget the accent or the lack of high quality grammar. It's really just about  winning, motivation AND LUCK., plus an empathetic chairman or owners who believe in giving someone the backing he needs AND a fair chance --which is not , in my view, just one season.

He dresses well, is clean-cut and knows the game. Hartley for all his obvious motivational skills is basically a real scruff.

As  to his actual management abilities we know virtually nothing except that John Hughes picked the wrong team. The managers that came after him at Hibs were no great shakes so where did the problem at Easter Road actually lie, pray--with Hughes? I don't think so.

What is not in  doubt is his passion for the game! If you a looking for a University-educated, cerebral , rocket scientist for a Manager then probably he may disappoint. But give Mr. Hughes  a fair shake and let's just see what develops.

Well put . Surprisingly WELL put !

I think folk are being a bit harsh on Hughes.  He has a real passion for the game and with the right club with a supportive Board he could do very well.  My gut feeling favours Hartley but I would be happy with Hughes. The main thing though is that whoever the Board appoints and whatever folk may have said about certain candidates on this forum, we give them our full support.

• Agree 2

The Courier still seem pretty sure it'll be Hartley - 

Caley Thistle are now closing in on their new man, who could well be Hartley.

The 37-year-old, currently manager of Scottish Championship part-timers Alloa Athletic, was reported to have been given permission to speak to Inverness last week.

It is understood that Hartley is very keen on the job and would be happy to make the switch to the Highland’s. It is also believed that he would take several of his backroom team with him from Alloa.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/ICT-very-close-in-appointing-new-manager-02122013.htm

• Agree 1

The Courier article is the only source of information we have at the moment that has actual quotes from our chairman. Think that says a lot for how secret our negotiating has been. It says absolutely nothing about who the favourite is or who the most likely is. The only conclusion we can draw from that is that the press are equally in the dark as we are therefore any names being banded about today surely are just guesses

"The board met yesterday and again today," said Caley Thistle chairman Kenny Cameron last night. "We’re just about there now.

"I must say the quality of candidate and the standard of interviews that we’ve went through have been absolutely top class."

Everything else is just speculation IMO

• Agree 1

The Courier article is the only source of information we have at the moment that has actual quotes from our chairman. Think that says a lot for how secret our negotiating has been. It says absolutely nothing about who the favourite is or who the most likely is. The only conclusion we can draw from that is that the press are equally in the dark as we are therefore any names being banded about today surely are just guesses

"The board met yesterday and again today," said Caley Thistle chairman Kenny Cameron last night. "We’re just about there now.

"I must say the quality of candidate and the standard of interviews that we’ve went through have been absolutely top class."

Everything else is just speculation IMO

Agreed.

....And if any of the proposed incumbents have leaked news of their imminent appointment to the press then I would expect that would be enough for the Board to not give them the job?

Not saying Hughes would be a disaster, but he simply doesn't get the pulse racing. Would the crowd be up or down for his debut? Down without a doubt. And for Hartley (or even Hartson) - up, I'd wager! We still need somebody to inspire sufficient confidence in the squad to inspire them to turn down offers in Jan and Hughes is not it. Would be delighted to be proved wrong, but if it is Hughes, his appointment would be unjustifiable, given the alleged competition.

• Agree 2

I've spoken to someone in the past who was at very close quarters with Hughes at one of his previous clubs.  He waxed lyrical about his motivational skills and his coaching of the youth players, which I don't doubt at all.  Apart from that though, what does he really bring to the table?  His record on the whole, is rather poor.  Promoted with Falkirk before narrowly missing out on relegation (at the expense of us!) and then rather unspectacular spells at Hibs and Livingston (prior to which he also failed to get the Swindon job), before being sacked by Hartlepool (tough job, but sacked and relegated nonetheless).  He essentially got the Livi job (a team in the league below), with a better CV than what he has now, so to get the job with us in mind boggling.   Has he brought something to table though, that has put him over the top, such as bringing his Director of Football from Livingston John Collins, with him for example?  Has that been the pivotal moment?

If he is indeed the new manager after all this speculation over the last few weeks though, what an anticlimax it will be.  I'm sure I won't be the only one who'll feel rather disappointed.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1