The new manager thread

Yngwie

Well, the directors have to look at a clean slate. The team we have was through Marsella and TB, and Hibs will now have that benefit. That means we have to look at holding onto the squad as it is at all costs, which will be a big ask. So, any new manager will have to be able to show experience of building/rebuilding a squad.

Hartley did that at Alloa...and how!

4 weeks since Butcher agreed to join Hibs, an attractive vacancy at a team 2nd in the league and still in all cups, 100 applications from all over the world, a serious of impressive interviews and presentations from high calibre candidates, And now it's John Hughes. Really?

:amazed:

• Agree 5

How John Hughes has made it this far is mind boggling. I understand that he has the motavational skills but he's not Terry Butcher. Don't get me wrong, John Hughes is a good manager but we would be appointing him at the wrong time of his career.

4 weeks since Butcher agreed to join Hibs, an attractive vacancy at a team 2nd in the league and still in all cups, 100 applications from all over the world, a serious of impressive interviews and presentations from high calibre candidates, And now it's John Hughes. Really?

:amazed:

impressive interviews, presentations and high calibre candidates? Who are they then? I've thought it has been a rather uninspiring list to be honest. I thought you were going to say 4 weeks in and they still haven't employed anyone and we're not getting our 1st choice.  If Hartley rejecting is due to contract issues it sounds like we offered him one and rejected it.  So we're onto the 2nd choice.

Normally i'd defend the club the best I could, but this goes beyond that sadly. Without trying to sound like a 'Cup Half Empty' guy or even to the extreme case of Dougal I can't see this being the best man to take us forward and maintain the good setup currently in place. Admittedly Terry had a rather skewed and haphazard management career much like Yogi before ICT, but in Butchers favour was his significant success with Motherwell during the admin years and subsequent revival where he reached a national cup final. In addition, the name 'Terry Butcher' had the effect of luring, or even persuading players from England to us who would have previously in my opinion turned their noses up at us. Yogi's style of football wasn't something I was a big fan of at Falkirk or Hibs either, although if it ends up being ultimately successful here who am I to complain. All in all I see this as an uninspiring choice at this stage if it is made. With talk of "dozens" of other candidates such as Paul Hartley, Kenny Shiels and Craig Levein I share Yngwie's view of sheer deflation if he becomes the new manager. I hope however to be proved wrong, just like we were in the case of our now former manager when he first took charge.

I have a feeling I know who The Eagle is or at least where they might be getting information from. If my theory is correct then I'm inclined to believe them.

As for Hughes...*shudder*

Hartley was not impressed with the boards dilly dallying I hear .

Guest Mahonio

If it isn't Hartley or Shiels then it has to be Csaba Laszlo for me.

As I said yesterday though, if Hartley has indeed pulled out then we would have had an announcement on new manager as we only had a shortlist of 2!!

Wonder if Billy McKinlay is in running because in Courier and on last nights STV News @ 6 he got a mention during Caley news part.

I have a feeling I know who The Eagle is or at least where they might be getting information from. If my theory is correct then I'm inclined to believe them.

As for Hughes...*shudder*

Hartley was not impressed with the boards dilly dallying I hear .

Supposedly it was down to personal reasons, nothing to do with contracts.

Normally i'd defend the club the best I could, but this goes beyond that sadly. Without trying to sound like a 'Cup Half Empty' guy or even to the extreme case of Dougal I can't see this being the best man to take us forward and maintain the good setup currently in place. Admittedly Terry had a rather skewed and haphazard management career much like Yogi before ICT, but in Butchers favour was his significant success with Motherwell during the admin years and subsequent revival where he reached a national cup final. In addition, the name 'Terry Butcher' had the effect of luring, or even persuading players from England to us who would have previously in my opinion turned their noses up at us. Yogi's style of football wasn't something I was a big fan of at Falkirk or Hibs either, although if it ends up being ultimately successful here who am I to complain. All in all I see this as an uninspiring choice at this stage if it is made. With talk of "dozens" of other candidates such as Paul Hartley, Kenny Shiels and Craig Levein I share Yngwie's view of sheer deflation if he becomes the new manager. I hope however to be proved wrong, just like we were in the case of our now former manager when he first took charge.

Yogi it is then I won't be crossing the bridge for his first game

Hughes did very well at Falkirk. Won the First Division then established them as a good SPL team. He got them to SC Final as well. He then left for Hibs. In his 1 full season there they finished 4th. Not bad at all. After a very poor start to the next campaign they sacked him. Very harsh imo. Strong motivator. Keen on youth development. Comes across as a type of manager the players would want to play for. I met him whilst doing youth work in Edinburgh. Think he was Falkirk manager at the time. I was very impressed with his football chat. He‘s a leader and i‘d be happy with him. #TeamYogi

Edited by CapitalCaley
  • Agree 1

Egads! Not the obvious/popular choice.

But it would be very, very wrong to bemoan the decision. A lot of things we don't see, and won't see, behind the scenes. The board have earnt the right to be trusted on this one. They must have a good reason. But it's early days still, til the announcement is official.

• Agree 2

So how many people said "no" before someone said "yes"?  Whoever gets the job will have my full support.  That's what supporting a club is all about.  If it is Yogi he will surely be as surprised as everybody else at his appointment.