The new manager thread

Yngwie

Anyone got any news links on it being John Hughes or anything recent linking him to the job properly?  Can't seem to find anything myself.  I wasn't totally against Hughes when all of this started so its not THAT bad but If its not Hartley then the only candidates that are gonna make me happy would be Owen Coyle, Paul Sturrock and Henrik Larsson and even with Larsson i only really want him for fun.

Was never really convinced by the "they came becaue of Butcher".  They came coz they were in lower league football, reserves or heading nowhere. 

Maybe Foran was an exception.  Here's a piece I wrote a few years ago on Yogi and Hibs.  They weren't far off a cracking team then.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/starchief/2009/11/01/the-rise-of-hibs-the-new-force-in-scottish-football/

• Agree 1

Not denying I liked the sound of Hartley better, but I don't see any point in prejudging Hughes. Most people seem to think he was treated pretty harshly at Hartlepool, and his record in Scotland was excellent until that long slump towards the end of his Hibs tenure - and we've had a couple of similar spells under Butcher, tbf, but our board stuck by him.

In the short term, I can't imagine a manager who is going to be more motivated to be Hearts in the League Cup semi and get us to our first final; in the long term, once he's won us a couple of trophies and got us into Europe twice in a row, he'll return to his beloved Hibs to replace the disastrously-appointed Terry Butcher, just in time for Richie Foran to step up to the manager's job at ICT that Yogi has been keeping warm for him.

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 3

Anyone got any news links on it being John Hughes or anything recent linking him to the job properly?  Can't seem to find anything myself.  I wasn't totally against Hughes when all of this started so its not THAT bad but If its not Hartley then the only candidates that are gonna make me happy would be Owen Coyle, Paul Sturrock and Henrik Larsson and even with Larsson i only really want him for fun.

It was on sky sport new as breaking news  story  about 5 min ago 

Was never really convinced by the "they came becaue of Butcher".  They came coz they were in lower league football, reserves or heading nowhere. 

Maybe Foran was an exception.  Here's a piece I wrote a few years ago on Yogi and Hibs.  They weren't far off a cracking team then.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/starchief/2009/11/01/the-rise-of-hibs-the-new-force-in-scottish-football/

And here's my piece about Yogi being sacked

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/starchief/2010/10/05/john-hughes-first-managerial-casualty-of-the-season/

Would have probably preferred Hartley or Shiels if they were the final 3 candidates but Yogi will have my full support as our new boss. Disagree that he is a bad choice, to inherit this team of ours he will do just fine and is less of a gamble than Hartley imo.

Edited by LundavraJag

Yeah c'mon lets get behind him.  He did do well with Falkirk, I hated playing them under Hughes and they have been rotten since he left.  I don't care about his reign at Hartlepool as most managers seem to struggle in the lower leagues of English football.

Can we go back to hating Hartley now?

• Agree 1

Point to prove. The twitter response from other clubs fans is, well, of general mirth. He will get the team onside, he is a players kind of manager, not a Di Canio shall we say, and perhaps what the board saw was a motivator that can fit in well with a team that needs no new players whatsoever and that is settled, gelled, and proven.

Those who laugh last...

I have a feeling I know who The Eagle is or at least where they might be getting information from. If my theory is correct then I'm inclined to believe them.

As for Hughes...*shudder*

Hartley was not impressed with the boards dilly dallying I hear .

That may be true but that would not be a reason for turning down an offer.  It would suggest that Hartley was not convinced that the job was for him and was looking for an excuse to turn us down.  Our Board may not do things quickly but I am sure they do things correctly and Hartley would know that he would get good support from this Board.  But if he doesn't want the job then so be it.   It's a shame because I think he would've been good for ICT and ICT would have been good for him. 

I heard Buster Keeton ,  Chergar  and  Rin Tin Tin were in the running

Only one winner there

Lord Lucan turned the job down

Maybe after yesterdays sackings  three more hopefuls may apear

• Agree 1

JOHN HUGHES is among the names being linked with the Inverness Caley Thistle hotseat.

The former Falkirk and Hibs manager has been out of work since leaving Hartlepool in May after failing to prevent relegation to League Two.

It is understood there has been communication between the two parties as the Highlanders seek to piece together a shortlist of candidates for interviews next week. But with so many names linked with the post Inverness don’t expect to reveal Terry Butcher’s successor soon.

In fact they have revealed that youth coaches Duncan Shearer and Scott Kellachar are being primed to take charge of first-team matters next weekend.

Hughes aside, Kenny Shiels, Csaba Laszlo, George Burley, Craig Levein, John Robertson and Paul Hartley have all been linked with the post, while the club revealed yesterday that applications had been received from as far afield as Italy, Spain and South America.

Inverness chairman Kenny Cameron said: “We’ve been inundated with applications for the job. Contrary to suggestions, there is no deadline for applying.

“The board has decided to take its time and no one has been contacted yet about the vacancy. We will focus on drawing up a shortlist at some point next week before setting about conducting interviews.

*** Not good enough for Hartlepool United  yet our best shot. Blinkin eck **

Not enthused at all by this appt. Seems to me that the board have had to settle for 3rd best, at least. His record isn't great at all. Aye, he had Falkirk playing decent football, but he also had a very good team there at that time. I wouldn't have even had Yogi in my top 10 of preferred candidates. Oh well.

• Agree 1

If it turns out to be Hughes, I won't lie, I'll be very disappointed. If he is the best we can come up with after 4 weeks, then I have doubt as to the "quality of applicants" claim a few weeks ago.  But I did have doubts when the last manager was appointed, so its only fair to give him a bit of time to show his worth.