The new manager thread

Yngwie

As I said at his sacking from Hibs:

"Despite building an impressive number of attackers, including new signing Ed van der Graffe, Yogi prefers to ‘have some point to the passing’. Unfortunately, this generally means lugging the ball up to a chase down the wings. A team with Hibs talent should be doing so much better."

Not so sure this means an end to the long ball.

Press conference at the stadium on or just after 2.30pm,  i'm not worried about Hughes becoming manager, he' got what it takes for us, and will be committed

Oh, stumbling block with Hartley was seemingly his reluctance to relocate up here, wanted to stay south with family.

I for one will be glad to see the back of long ball guff anyway

A lot of Hibs play during Hughes tenure was long punts up the park bypassing the midfield.

Dislike. I cant recall much of his spell at Hibs TBH but seemed to recall his Falkirk side playing neat passing football. hopefully the long ball at Hibs was down to crap players an not his tactics

Yogi done a decent job at falkirk on tight budget. He was doing ok at Hibs but didnt get a proper crack at the whip there. All that said he's not my choice. All his interviews make me want to swim with sharks. Mind you Butcher was never my choice either. The big factor, however, is who his No.2 will be.

or indeed his DoF :whistle:

A post we done away with, and never replaced, in our relegation year. Why would we take one on now?

Didnt we do away with the post because Grassa moved from DoF to Vice-chairman?

Also if you are to believe rumours then it was almost entirely Butchers idea to get rid of the DoF position.

Hughes has worked with a DoF at a few of clubs so wouldn't be against having one and who's to say the board wont now deem a DoF necessary

I'm inclined to believe Butcher may have had something to do with getting rid of the post. Personally its not a post I like. Nor do I think its necessary unless you do away with the coach doing the management side.

Hughes went through 3 clubs during Butchers time at ICT. But an interesting stat, that can't happen very often is that in September 2010, Terry took his Inverness team to Easter Road to face John Hughes' Hibs side. Nobody would have expected in the future, those managers would be in opposition again managing the other team!

• Agree 1

Maybe KC wanted someone who could handle TB if things get tasty on the sidelines in future meetings.

I think a lot of bigger name managers would have put noses out of joint, disrupted the unity, tried to stamp their mark on the team, whereas maybe JH was happy to just be back in football...he has lucked out big time.

• Agree 1

Hughes went through 3 clubs during Butchers time at ICT. But an interesting stat, that can't happen very often is that in September 2010, Terry took his Inverness team to Easter Road to face John Hughes' Hibs side. Nobody would have expected in the future, those managers would be in opposition again managing the other team!

Four actually. He was at Falkirk when TB joined us. Left for Hibs then Livi and Hartlepool

• Agree 1

To be fair to Yogi he did take Hibs to 4th and a European spot in his only full season at Hibs and that same season the team he left (Falkirk) were relegated.

Only after shelling out a fortune on Anthony Stokes and paying high wages to Liam Miller, as well as inheriting Mixu's team. Once the money dried up and he started buidling his own team of free bes it all went wrong..;

If it is the case that Hartley has ruled himself out along with Shiels for what ever reason why dont the board take a little longer to make this  important decision

another week won't  matter in the scheme of things lets not be rushed because our first choice of manager has turned the job down it would be a huge mistake to make a panic appointment

This appointment is likely what Kenny Shiels was alluding to last night in his downbeat appearance on Sportsound when he hinted that ex-Old Firm players seem to get the managerial posts ahead of other candidates. He was obviously aware he’d been over-looked in favour of Hartley or Hughes.

Jimmy Calderwood has a superior record in management than John Hughes. I can't understand why he's still out of football - maybe he's been 'away' too long and it's a vicious circle....and maybe Shiels has a valid point.

• Agree 1

Actually sitting and thinking about it maybe it isn't as bad as it seems.

Craig Levein was first name that was tipped favourite to get the job. Although that would have been a great signing in terms of the name and profile of Levein his wage demands would have been far too high for us.

Henrik Larsson or John Hartson again would have been great signings for the name and profile of these individuals but again wage demands would have been high for us.

Realistically this left us with Paul Hartley, Kenny Shiels and John Hughes. Now, the personal reasons that Paul has declined us for seem pretty straightforward and I can only sympathise with him as sometimes life is more important than football.

So this left us with Kenny Shiels and John Hughes. Both of these men are very good at motavation and that's something that Terry Butcher did apply to us and we've raised to the top with this outlook on football. Kenny Sheils although he has a great work ethic, he comes across a loudmouth pr*ck to the media like we heard on Sportsound last night.

So that's left us with John Hughes. His recent CV hasn't done him any justice but he does tick all the boxes that the club needs. He took Falkirk to a Scottish cup final and took Hibs to Europe. Sometimes when managers get sacked or leave clubs we tend to forget the positives.

I'm ready to give John his dues and I welcome him aboard at TCS.

• Agree 4

I for one will be glad to see the back of long ball guff anyway

A lot of Hibs play during Hughes tenure was long punts up the park bypassing the midfield.

Dislike. I cant recall much of his spell at Hibs TBH but seemed to recall his Falkirk side playing neat passing football. hopefully the long ball at Hibs was down to crap players an not his tactics

Not with a midfield of Rankin, Liam Miller and Riordan.  I used to get so frustrated at such a potentially good midfield having to watch the ball sail over their heads, then run down to the corner flag for a big lump into the box.  Their centre-halfs were Hogg and Ian Murray.  Not exactly hoofers (esp. Murray), unless they were told to.

It's like seeing your xmas present sitting, wrapped under the tree for a month and wondering with anticipation what is in the box. Your folks have assured you they were impressed with the quality of 'wants' you presented them with in your xmas list. 

Xmas morning, you tear open the package only to find a run-of-the-mill jumper and socks set that wasn't even on your wish list!

Or bonfire night when your expecting one last massive boom as you know its coming to the end and then....

is that it?

Or when you strike up an online relationship with the girl of your dreams, for weeks you spend every waking moment looking forward to the time when you can actually meet up and fulfil your relationship, then when the time comes it actually turns out to be a fat middle aged man called Nigel with a combover and poor personal hygiene, but you kind of feel obliged to go along with it and make the best of the situation.

No wait.....

• Agree 3

Will believe the Hartley story when I see it. Money will be there and security will be there and if Geography isn't an issue then I smell I wind up. But the sooner this ends the better - Team Hartley!

No wind up . You can say sorry on Wednesday

Welcome to ICT John...