The new manager thread

Yngwie

Going to nail my colours to the mast (again). I think I said it somewhere else in a distant or exceedingly long thread in the last couple of weeks, but I dont have an issue with Hughes. Liked him as a player, liked him when he was in the away dugout on his visits to the TCS, and despite sounding somewhat inarticulate in interviews due to his accent, he's not a stupid man if you actually listen to what he is saying rather than being swayed by the accent.

As to his record? Butcher had a stellar record before coming here did he not? no, thought not!!! I dont give a crap about his past record, its what he does at ICT that matters.

• Agree 7

This appointment -

Facepalm_227785.jpg

Fully expect us to sign some vagabond like Derek Riordan in January, before going on another managerial merry-go-round in the not too distant future.

He is a free agent, so why wait till January :ninja: Edited by ICTRoughi

Old Sun article (no wonder Graeme Bennett left!) -

Derek Riordan panicked when he learned John Hughes was going back to Hibs - because he couldn't bear to see him naked again!

Striker Riordan revealed how his new boss used to strip off and chase the Hibees youngsters around the dressing room in his Easter Road playing days.

And he admits he's glad Yogi keeps his clothes on nowadays.

Deek smiled: "The gaffer was mad when I was a youngster and he was one of the senior pros.

"The main thing that's changed since I played alongside him is that he doesn't chase you around naked any more!

"He used to turn all the lights off and chase the young players around the dressing room with no clothes on."

horrified.jpg

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I voted for Yogi on the "who do you want thread" so if the gossip is true, then I'm happy with this appointment. Wears his heart on his sleeve, plays a passing game and gives youth a chance.  P&B

Edited by PandB

Absolutely awful appointment.  He did OK at Falkirk but succeeded with a bigger budget than his First Division rivals and he left them with a squad of raw kids and past-it old pros.  Then at Hibs he had a good start, mainly due to signing Anthony Stokes, but followed that up with a horror run towards the end.  If Yogi's last 38 games were taken as a full season then they'd probably have been relegated (they got 33 points).  Since then it's been Livingston and Hartlepool, doing nothing.

He's one of these managers who "tries to play football the right way" which is code for playing tippy-tappy garbage with no cutting edge, passing the ball back and forth in your own centre circle then either losing possession or knocking it long.  He's from the Alex Smith school of Scottish football management, no doubt we'll hear that SMith singing his praises in the press soon enough.  I can also see him making unnecessary changes to our team with the justification that he "has confidence in his own methods" and wants to "put his own stamp on things".  This is one of the things you get with an 'experienced' manager - managers who  have failed yet have the arrogance to persist with the methods that have seen them fail.

We didn't/don't need an experienced manager, we are the perfect job for a young new fresh manager.  As it is we've joined the Scottish football merry-go-round of pish managers.  Terrible, terrible move from the board.

• Agree 5

What is all this guff about Yogi playing a passing game? Defenders tapping it around the half way line before launching it forward over the midfield in the vague direction of the striker(s) is not passing football and yet this is exactly what he did at Hibs, Livi etc. Another complete myth.

I don't think I could have put it any better than what Chris has said. A fantastic post.

The more I think about it, the more I can't fathom this one at all.  What the board see in him to even interview him, I have no idea.  People were talking about Hartley being a risk, but I reckon this could well be an even bigger one.

Only Brewster coming back has left me this deflated, and I fear that all our dreams of Europe and cup wins are now in tatters.  This is a huge risk, and should it all go wrong, which it may well do, Kenny Cameron and the rest of them must hang their heads in shame.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Contrary to some, the only positive might be that he brings in Riordan.  Horrible person, terrific player.  Could say the same about Foran.

Both Jimmy Calderwood and Robbo more popular than Yogi in the poll.  I'd have been happy with either.

I thought Butcher was unlucky with a few jobs (Coventry mainly but was also sacked pretty early on with others).  Can't say the same thing with Hughes.  Up-and-at-'em only works for so long, then tactics take over.

I can only presume we didn't actually have 'quality' applicants (although I agree with no Hartley - no commitment should mean no job).

it's not that bad guys.............personally I thought Trains, Planes and Automobiles and Lampoons Vacation some of his better efforts :crazy:

Hopefully the fans will be getting Trains, Planes and Automobiles to the games and not staying Home Alone, listening to the radio!

I trust you're all not planning staying Home Alone 2?

Joking aside, it might turn out to be Somekind of Wonderful appointment. I just wonder what kind of Weird Science the board were using to come out with this appointment. 

Forget Ferris Bueller - clearly, today must have been Kenny Cameron's Day Off!!

Yeah, some great films from the director, John Hughes. I really liked The Breakfast Club - but this outcome surely is a dogs dinner!!!

• Agree 2

The team have proved that they don't need motivation - they do that for themselves. They also do not need a "new broom". The only thing missing from the Butcher team was an ability to adapt tactics when plan A wasn't working: Butcher's use of substitutes was terrible. If Hughes sticks with the current team and tactics, can convince the lads to stay in Jan and add a plan B to change games, he could do very well. However, long ball tactics and we're done for. Of all the names mentioned, Hughes would not have been in my top 10...clearly, it is harder to get quality individuals to come here than we had thought. Opportunity missed....

no. 1 requirement is man-management! - we have a team that is performing like a well-oiled Bentley, and there's a lot of attention likely in the transfer window.  The last thing we need is someone who is going to 'stamp his mark' and wind up half the players, causing an exodus in January and the summer.

Whoever it is, park him in the dugout and tell him to keep quiet and listen to Richie.....

The more I think about it, the more I can't fathom this one at all. What the board see in him to even interview him, I have no idea. People were talking about Hartley being a risk, but I reckon this could well be an even bigger one.

Only Brewster coming back has left me this deflated, and I fear that all our dreams of Europe and cup wins are now in tatters. This is a huge risk, and should it all go wrong, which it may well do, Kenny Cameron and the rest of them must hang their heads in shame.

This! Well put Rene

AJS and i had a catch up about the whole thing recently. We both felt out of the final 5 only Levein and Hartley were credible for final 2. We also felt Levein would split the fans to much whereas Hartley was the only person who would grt full backing from the fans. This would create an all round positive feeling around the club which would propell us forward. Also we would no doubt forget about terry in no time.

Now however we have a chap who noone wants! I for one havnt felt this deflated since brew came back. You know this i would take Robbo back in a heartbeat before this loon. I'll always support the club, but as a paying member we deserve better!

• Agree 1

Well everyone knows you wife ran off with the scaffy but time heals and you're getting over it- even getting quite excited about all the gorgeous exotic beauties you're going to be going out with. BANG you wake up with some old dog and you're stuck with her.

Surely we can do better than this. I would have thought that our current standing would have merited a better shortlist but I was coming round to the idea of Hartley being a decent gamble. This is just depressing.

• Agree 2

It'll be interesting to see how the poll on another thread develops. We're a fickle bunch us football fans. Many may become glass-half-full pundits and see only the good aspects of John Hughes' appointment.

However, there'a been an ongoing thread and poll under "Who Do You Want" and over 100 possible names were mentioned over 7 pages of discussion. John Hughes was mentioned once...on page 6. By Gringo (I think?) but only to discount him as a viable option. We can't suddenly become happy-clappers over this.

Hughes got 3 votes and was passed as a "no chance" candidate by most, along with the others of the same ilk like Ian McColl, Jim Jefferies, Colin Cameron, Peter Houston, Allan Moore and John Brown.

We have prided ourselves on innovative appointments in the past - but this is very unimaginative. I wouldn't have been surprised to see him taking the Morton job, for example.

Despite the weeks of rumours and names swapping places as 'certs' at the bookies, I think it was DoofersDad who first said that despite all the speculation there will likely be a candidate nobody's mentioned who'll come out of left-field and get the job - and so it seems!

Okay, he wasn't favoured, but yes, we must get behind him.

Hughes would have been a very decent shout for manager if we were in a situtation like we were when Butcher took over :  get the players fired up for the relegation fight, and if it doesn't work out then still a good manager for trying to get out of Division 1.