The new manager thread

Yngwie

Eagle, I owe you an apology. Sorry.

I hear the 35k compo that Alloa wanted was a major problem. £35k sounds like a bargain! If this is true, then Hughes' job just got harder...clearly 2nd choice with both the fans and the board. He'll need to be a tough cookie to shoulder that one. Edited by PerfICT

Since when has a footballer manager required to be:-

* Product of a university education

* Articulate

* A world class footballer

The greatest manager in the world Sir Alex Ferguson has none of the above (ok an Honorary degree)

However they do need

* Football Knowledge

* Tactical Awareness

* Man Management Skills

* Passion for winning

Hughes has all of the last 4 combined with experience from the school of hard knocks

I wish him well and look forward to more of the same going forward.

• Agree 1

For those talking about the reaction to Butcher in 2009, I remember Robertson was the initial favourite prior to Brewster's sacking.  Butcher though was a popular choice from the outset and for much of the time was neck and neck with Robbo for the majority of the managerless week, with Robbo maybe slightly ahead in the online poll.  The influence of Archie Knox entering the running, influenced some people to go for him, though Butcher was still one of the favourites, apart from when it was speculated (IIRC) that Butcher had removed himself for the running, before coming back in.  The only real thing people worried about with Butcher was that he wasn't seen as a long-term appointment (obviously that fear was unfounded).

The belief the Butcher was an unpopular choice is simply incorrect.  If he wasn't people's number one, for the majority, he was certainly one of the more favourable candidates.

Edited by Renegade

Have to echo the comments about us joining the SPFL merry-go-round being the most disappointing aspect of this move.

Moral and motivation were sky high after Butchers ego left the building, everyone had a huge weight lifted from their shoulders and with the foundations in place for the next 2 seasons, this was looking like the first top flight one that I wasnt expecting a mediocre and dwindling 'collapse' to. 

This isnt the first season we have had a great start but its the first where the main components of our squad are not going to be signing pre-contract agreements or pissing around with deals with us for the remainder of it, which not only settles the integral squad members but it settles everyone else around them.

We are a remote club, in a small town in the frozen north, a lot of these young guys have had to move hundreds of miles away from home to get a job.  Offering them a stable and happy enviroment is of the utmost importance to them maintaining form and being willing to work hard in training everyday.

All clubs that are successful in the longer term are places where players want to be and stay, up until the news broke about Hughes we had the potential to get there ourselves, to put together a competitive team that lasts more than half a season.  We're not there yet, we could be but its very fragile, the wave of optimism and relief when Butcher left was critical for us to harness in putting together deals for the rest of the unsigned players.  We have no budget at all compared to clubs in the rest of the UK, it could all go tits up with one bad training session.

So my issue with Hughes- at no point in his career has he been with a club through a sustained successful or settled period as a player or a coach, almost all of the other names mentioned have been at least once in their careers.  This means that he has no experience of the needs and fragility required to manage a squad willing to stay and work hard for each other and the club, rather than just being in it for a wage every month.

We didnt need somebody to come in showing high emotions, we didn't need a new leader, we didnt need a career long failure to try and motivate a sqaud with long term potential and we sure as **** didn't need to destroy the goodwill that came with the lads being trusted to take responsibility for themselves for a few games.

Main point is that what we have just now is fragile, Hughes really isnt the man for the job.  We needed somebody who had spent a prolonged period with one club and found success there as a player or a coach, who could step into our current dressing room and instantly know what hes looking at.

Jeez, the end is nigh!!!    The board of ICT have interviewed the applicants they wished to talk too, they have decided for the way ahead for ICT to select John Hughes, they knew best to pick Butcher, Yogi obviously came across as the one with all the right answers, and if that's what they wanted that's ok by me.

Will you have a coffee and suck in some fresh air and calm down!

Best post of the day by far!

Really? All the right answers? Didn't JR Hartley knock us back.

He turned down the opportunity to manage an SPL team 2nd in the league & in both cups, WTF!

I'm sure I read earlier (might be b*ll*cks) he turned us down because the board were faffing obout.

There's also a lot of talk he turned the job down due to family reasons but, IMHO, total cluster f*ck by the board.

Anyway, all the best Yogi, I'll be at the game on Saturday. Fingers crossed you get off to a flying start.

I wanted Hartley (made no secret of that) and whoever passed on the information for todays Courier needs fired...quickly.

Whether we like it or not Yogi will be our new gaffer. Ive had my time to contemplate it and as a fan I feel the right thing to do is to put aside who I wanted and what I think and back him as our new boss. Im pretty baffled that the board have gone for him and can only conclude to some extent that they are settling for him. He would have been a decent appointment if we were still an aspiring mid-table side but we are that no longer. I wouldnt be surprised if he had a decent season with us on this team, its what follows that I will watch with great interest, when he makes his own signings and tries to stamp his own authority into the side. If he tries to change too much too quickly he will be gone before he begins, he will need to be patient. 

To some extent he has suffered from bad luck. Falkirk was his first job and he did well bringing them up and developing players like Scott Arfield, Darren Barr and to an extent the likes of Anthony Stokes, all of whom have become good players, as well as getting them to a final and keeping them in the SPL. Hartlepool was a sinking ship and he was perhaps given a raw deal at Hibs in the end (open to interpretation).

If it goes well then fine, we can look back on this and laugh, if it goes wrong then the board will remember the reception this news got when it first broke out...

Eh AJ I told you long before the paper did mate

Have you even read Tuesday's courier? Painted a very different picture to what you said last night but hey look you were right...well done  :clapoverhead:

I like how your stalking me for an apology, makes me feel important. You'll get one on Wednesday like you ask and when you can spell my name properly  :wink:

Only time will tell folks, the decision has been made.

Maybe so but I would like to know whether theeagle is right and all that stood between us unveiling Hartley as our new boss was a measley £35k.

BTW, would still have preferred Sturrock.

We will more than likely never know the true ins and outs but the board have selected Yogi as the man for the job based on the applications they received and thus there is no reason to continually go over the whats, ifs, buts and maybes. Tomorrow we will have a new manager and we all know who it is going to be so can we stop this and move on together please?

TogetherNESS

• Agree 1

I said in the beginning (offline to friends) that I would put my faith in the board to make the right choice on behalf of the (long term) future of the club and I'm sticking by it.  Did we maybe get carried away with the pro-Hartley bandwagon, maybe?  I was totally behind him for the job, but ultimately he has no experience at this level (though I was 100% up for giving him the opportunity here, seemed like a good match) and have to trust that the board made the best call given what they saw at interview.  I always said that we needed someone who wanted the job, rather than needed it, and it's important that the role goes to someone who sees it as a passion and commitment rather than a job or a stepping stone. 

If it's true that Hartley was hesitant in commiting for family reasons then kudos to either him and/or the board for recognising it and stepping back.  For me, one of the top priorities in appointing a manager was someone who is in it for the long term, and I can see Hughes being up for that.  I don't see him as a gloryhunter or looking for a stepping stone, I think he is a genuine football man, with a passion level which is almost unbeatable.  With the right team behind him and backing from the board, it could be a beautiful combination.  Let's just hope that we are prepared to invest in a top support team, that element is a mystery at present.

Obviously Yogi convinced the board that he was the man for the job, and having spoken to one of the senior players, he certainly convinced them too.  I hope he doesn't read this board, whilst nothing bears any malice towards him it shows disappointment and that's not how I'd want any new member of staff to our club to feel. 

Two cup finals (and subsequent wins) and a minimum of second place in the league will certainly justify his appointment!

• Agree 4

I said in the beginning (offline to friends) that I would put my faith in the board to make the right choice on behalf of the (long term) future of the club and I'm sticking by it.  Did we maybe get carried away with the pro-Hartley bandwagon, maybe?  I was totally behind him for the job, but ultimately he has no experience at this level (though I was 100% up for giving him the opportunity here, seemed like a good match) and have to trust that the board made the best call given what they saw at interview.  I always said that we needed someone who wanted the job, rather than needed it, and it's important that the role goes to someone who sees it as a passion and commitment rather than a job or a stepping stone. 

If it's true that Hartley was hesitant in commiting for family reasons then kudos to either him and/or the board for recognising it and stepping back.  For me, one of the top priorities in appointing a manager was someone who is in it for the long term, and I can see Hughes being up for that.  I don't see him as a gloryhunter or looking for a stepping stone, I think he is a genuine football man, with a passion level which is almost unbeatable.  With the right team behind him and backing from the board, it could be a beautiful combination.  Let's just hope that we are prepared to invest in a top support team, that element is a mystery at present.

Obviously Yogi convinced the board that he was the man for the job, and having spoken to one of the senior players, he certainly convinced them too.  I hope he doesn't read this board, whilst nothing bears any malice towards him it shows disappointment and that's not how I'd want any new member of staff to our club to feel. 

Two cup finals (and subsequent wins) and a minimum of second place in the league will certainly justify his appointment!

THIS! 

• Agree 1

I really think we can discount compensation of thirty five thousand as being the reason why Paul Hartley is not being unveiled as our new manager. The board are not as short sighted as that.

That is approximately 1% of our annual turnover and a great deal less than we recently banked as compensation for our previous management team.

Whatever the reason for PH not being offered the job or he deciding not to take it, it would not have been a relatively paltry 35K.

Edited by Kingsmills

If Paul Hartley didn't want to leave his family, nor live in the Highlands, then WHY did he apply for the job in the first place?

Was it at all possible that the size of his head got in the way of seeing the fine print and the brilliance of this golden opportunity to put him on the map? Or fear that he may not have been quite ready for this step up?

For a man with a forward looking ambition this was a golden opportunity and so not taking advantage of it seems BIZARRE..there is something not right about all this..??

Anyway , what you see with John Hughes appears to be what you get and with him you will not be bored--maybe tickled pink or bursting with laughter at times. And HE is ready for this step because he needs to get back into Scottish football, he needs success and a chance to show that he is made from the right stuff. And he loves the game.

How many assistants does he need anyway? He's got Foran waiting to be of great assistance, the backing of the club management and all he needs to do is work hard, motivate hard and be honest with his staff.It's the players who are putting the ball in the net anyway , not him . So, so long as they play to their capability  and work hard then Bob's yer Uncle and Yogi's yer man.

This is a golden opportunity for him and I think he will bust his gut  for Caley Thistle. Therefore  let's give the man a fair chance, his due and I hope his salary is acceptable to him. :smile:

• Agree 2

I've changed my mind a lot on this thread about who I want and why but as we've basically got our new manager I'm delighted! John Hughes could probably do a good job and bring us success but we'll just have to wait and see. Paul Hartley would have been my first choice too but I was gunna get right behind the manager whoever it was and John Hughes now has my backing :ictscarf:

This is the first time I have heard 35k referred to as measly or paltry especially as our crowd figures have rarely gotten over 4,000 all season.  Yes we got compensation from hibs but this is because we lost three people that have been instrumental in building and guiding a team to 2nd in the SPL as good as Hartley he is still unproven in the SPL. and 35k will always be a lot of money btw.  If it was between Hughes and Hartley then Hughes obviously wanted it more and this is good enough for me.  When Butcher was appointed we got lots of ominous warnings from Brentford fans, we have had no such messages from Hartlepool fans.  one more thing if the eagles is in the know as it seems he is, he really should stop stirring the ***** on here.

I wanted Hartley (made no secret of that) and whoever passed on the information for todays Courier needs fired...quickly.

Whether we like it or not Yogi will be our new gaffer. Ive had my time to contemplate it and as a fan I feel the right thing to do is to put aside who I wanted and what I think and back him as our new boss. Im pretty baffled that the board have gone for him and can only conclude to some extent that they are settling for him. He would have been a decent appointment if we were still an aspiring mid-table side but we are that no longer. I wouldnt be surprised if he had a decent season with us on this team, its what follows that I will watch with great interest, when he makes his own signings and tries to stamp his own authority into the side. If he tries to change too much too quickly he will be gone before he begins, he will need to be patient. 

To some extent he has suffered from bad luck. Falkirk was his first job and he did well bringing them up and developing players like Scott Arfield, Darren Barr and to an extent the likes of Anthony Stokes, all of whom have become good players, as well as getting them to a final and keeping them in the SPL. Hartlepool was a sinking ship and he was perhaps given a raw deal at Hibs in the end (open to interpretation).

Only joking but here's the announcement by the board > WE GOT OUR MAN :-)

If it goes well then fine, we can look back on this and laugh, if it goes wrong then the board will remember the reception this news got when it first broke out...

Eh AJ I told you long before the paper did mate

Have you even read Tuesday's courier? Painted a very different picture to what you said last night but hey look you were right...well done  :clapoverhead:

I like how your stalking me for an apology, makes me feel important. You'll get one on Wednesday like you ask and when you can spell my name properly  :wink:

This is the first time I have heard 35k referred to as measly or paltry especially as our crowd figures have rarely gotten over 4,000 all season.  Yes we got compensation from hibs but this is because we lost three people that have been instrumental in building and guiding a team to 2nd in the SPL as good as Hartley he is still unproven in the SPL. and 35k will always be a lot of money btw.  If it was between Hughes and Hartley then Hughes obviously wanted it more and this is good enough for me.  When Butcher was appointed we got lots of ominous warnings from Brentford fans, we have had no such messages from Hartlepool fans.  one more thing if the eagles is in the know as it seems he is, he really should stop stirring the ***** on here.

Not stirring anything but if you don't want to get anymore factual input then that's fine . Sorry if I've caused offence .

On the day that Scotland's 2nd best team make a shock managerial appointment, the Daily Record's response is to devote 90% of its back page to 2 separate, boring, non-stories about a team in the 3rd flight.

I really shouldn't be surprised, but still.....

• Agree 3