The new manager thread

Yngwie

Guest Mahonio

Don't want to get into an argument with you again Renegade but what a question to ask!

Of course Kenny is going to give Hughes time as he was Kenny's choice and hasn't had long, I really don't understand this anti Hughes after only a few months into job.

That's problem nowadays, managers just don't get time!!!

Don't want to get into an argument with you again Renegade but what a question to ask!

Of course Kenny is going to give Hughes time as he was Kenny's choice and hasn't had long, I really don't understand this anti Hughes after only a few months into job.

That's problem nowadays, managers just don't get time!!!

Brian Clough lasted 44 days at Leeds.  On the continent and in South America, it's common for managers to be punted after only a few months.

Getting to the final next week, could well buy him some time.  Failing to reach the top six with this squad and from the position he inherited the squad from though, will lead to questions being asked.

Edited by Renegade

Guest Mahonio

Hughes himself knows he's in a results based job but poor man can't put across his ideas in a short space of time and its length of time Cloughy got that annoys me.

I am not saying that questions would need asked if we fail to reach top 6 but he deserves at least a year and see where we are then.

I do remember the 'is Butcher the man for the job' thread, with someone saying along the lines of 'what if we're marooned at the bottom - best to sack him now'.  This is the same with Hughes.  I suspect he won't do well but he has to be given the chance to prove us wrong, in the same way Tel did with some.  Out of the top six has to mean sacking.  But that hasn't happened yet and may not.  Give him a chance to fail or succeed.  Top six is an absolute must though.  We're going completely the wrong direction if we drop out.  But let that happen before we judge a failure.

• Agree 2

Why do folk seem to think that Hughes was a cheap option compared to Hartley or other candidates? The only realistic "expensive" option would have been Levine and I don't think he ever was really that interested.  All the other candidates would have been offered a similiar salary package to Hughes. The Board appointed Hughes because they considered him to be man for the job. I back them on that and will be giving the manager and the team my loud and full support next Sunday and beyond.  

I suspect that Hughes will be a failure here as he has largely been elsewhere but, given that he is the man who was appointed for whatever reason, he deserves to be given a chance. At least until the end of next season 

By that time he will have had the opportunity to prove the doubters wrong. If he does so we will all be delighted to admit we were mistaken if, after a season and a half, we are still moving backwards, it will be time to admit the mistake and move on. In the meantime, as supporters, we should be prepared to put our reservations to one side and give the manager our support.

Again, he must have said something different in interview other than the tired platitudes and cliches he trots out in public and the board, who are shrewd businessmen, must have seen something that he is able to project in private that doesn't come over in public otherwise he would never have got the job.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

I whizzed through the last few posts lest I get depressed. Naysayers United up and running again?

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion but so many forces come into play in any club between Chairman, players and Manager that how on earth can anyone who is not "in the know" actually know anything about why this manager was hited or not etc.Do you imagine that Mr Cameron and the Board had an easy task deciding on this appointment? C,mon.....!

The club needed a manager with experience and J Hughes needed a job so I suspect that both came to common ground and  both were  reasonably happy with the deal. And, for sure, IMHO, there will be more money on the table for this new manager if we do very well by the end of this season.

Give him time. After all. it's the players who win or lose matches, not just the manager.

• Agree 2

Dont be so fickle you negativiteers!

It isn't Hughes who is missing the chances made, The team is playing well enough to win most times. We are back in the missing chances mode as we were at times under Butcher so I say lay off, get off the manager's back and support the Club's decision.

Also don't be so fickle he was a hero last week remember.

What happened to togetherNess or were you never part of it ???????????

• Agree 3

Dont be so fickle you negativiteers!

It isn't Hughes who is missing the chances made, The team is playing well enough to win most times. We are back in the missing chances mode as we were at times under Butcher so I say lay off, get off the manager's back and support the Club's decision.

Also don't be so fickle he was a hero last week remember.

What happened to togetherNess or were you never part of it ???????????

Agree with all above plus he has just got his assistant so for a God sake lighten up and get behind them .

All teams have off days and our usual pattern after a bad result we come out all guns blazing...

Looking forward to Sun.!!!!

• Agree 2

Rather than compensation being an issue I suspect the board would be more likely to place more emphasise on who they believe would be more likely to remain committed to ICT if they do well and offers from other clubs presented themselves.

Our form is erratic at the moment.  We just have to keep being "supporters" - the clues in the name.  Now let's just support the team.

See you all Sunday.  :ictscarf:

• Agree 4

That's a very poor reason.  Hughes the Hibby would make the same move as Butcher.  Going up (which I don't see Hibs as being) means success.  If Hartley got a move to Manchester United on the basis of winning the league with ICT, that would be a great compliment.  Employing someone because they are never going to be great but they might just stay, is a truly awful reason.

I'd still really like to know the actual reason for going for Hughes.  Not speculation (even if Renegade is quite probably along the right lines) but something tangible from a well connected source.  What made the Board choose Hughes over a prospect like Hartley or a seasoned successful manager like, say, Calderwood or maybe Sturrock (and it doesn't really matter if you like them - I could understand why they would be chosen)?  I struggle to believe either Hartley (a part-timer) or Calderwood (desperate to get back into it) would have made huge demands.  So, just what was it?

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

• Agree 1

Starchief I will bite again:-

When interviewing you have a criteria that fills your needs,  the interviewee who meets or is nearest to those requirements is who you employ. 

Do you really think that the board should ask the posters on this forum for their opinions first before making the decision ?

Rest assured the Board will have thought this through thoroughly and it is up to us now to sit back and give our man plenty of time to prove the Board right in their choice.

He may not yet have got consistency of flow going in the Team but that will come and so will the wins.

Good start bringing Tansey in and Latapy don't you think?

• Agree 1

There's no fishing here.  Nope, not suggesting anyone ask this forum.  And I'm sure they did do their homework - plenty of boards have done that and got it wrong mind you.

But I'm still curious as to why such an outsider got the job. What was the criteria they employed that elevated Yogi to the top of the pile?  You're not interested in that?  I find it surprising.

Employing someone because they are never going to be great but they might just stay, is a truly awful reason.

That's not what I meant and I'm pretty sure you are intelligent enough to know that and are just playing devil's advocate.

There's a big difference between someone who will swan off at the drop of a hat when any, slightly, bigger team comes calling and someone who moves on because they've done so well an offer that is too good to refuse comes in.

Either way, it's your opinion so all power to you.

I'm now done with this thread, it's run it's course as far as I'm concerned.  So to use a familiar quote: "...and for that reason - I'm out!"

:wave:

Good start bringing Tansey in and Latapy don't you think?

Tansey - could be useful for us but I think it's simply a stop gap until we get Foran and Draper back in there.

Latapy - I don't see what everyone is getting so excited about to be honest. I'm not getting swept up in a wave of emotion because he was a good player at this level. I've no idea what he is like as an Assistant Manager so I'm holding off on that one.

What was the criteria they employed that elevated Yogi to the top of the pile?

I'm still utterly bamboozled that out of the 42 candidates that applied for the job, Paul Telfer somehow winds up getting interviewed and seemingly finished second for the job, ahead of Hartley, Shiels, Levein and many others!

Now here's the thing folks.  Richie Foran is 33 and has just signed a three year deal, which will almost certainly be his last.  Hughes has a two and a half year and aims to be at this club for five (his words not mine).  I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Hartley wished to re-shape the club in his own image and likeness, and probably people like Levein would have wanted to do the same - a long term project.  The board went for Hughes, as they looked at him as a kind of Terry Butcher MK2, who would keep the club around about this level.  When this is done, it leads them to the final piece of the puzzle, which is Richard Foran taking over as manager.  Hughes would be nothing more than a stopgap manager, and maybe Telfer wanted to be the same.  This is not what Hartley et al would have wanted.  

It was often said on this forum, prior to his appointment and still to this day, that Hughes is not the man who will or can take this club forward.  Maybe that's because, he's not supposed to.

I think some folk are over analysing the reasons for Hughes' appointment, almost to the extent of believing there were ulterior motives etc.  Is it not the case that the board made the appointment in all good faith, believing Hughes was the right man for the job?   Call me naïve if you will, but that is what I'd like to believe.  Maybe they got it wrong, only time will tell.

• Agree 1

What was the criteria they employed that elevated Yogi to the top of the pile?

I'm still utterly bamboozled that out of the 42 candidates that applied for the job, Paul Telfer somehow winds up getting interviewed and seemingly finished second for the job, ahead of Hartley, Shiels, Levein and many others!

Now here's the thing folks.  Richie Foran is 33 and has just signed a three year deal, which will almost certainly be his last.  Hughes has a two and a half year and aims to be at this club for five (his words not mine).  I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Hartley wished to re-shape the club in his own image and likeness, and probably people like Levein would have wanted to do the same - a long term project.  The board went for Hughes, as they looked at him as a kind of Terry Butcher MK2, who would keep the club around about this level.  When this is done, it leads them to the final piece of the puzzle, which is Richard Foran taking over as manager.  Hughes would be nothing more than a stopgap manager, and maybe Telfer wanted to be the same.  This is not what Hartley et al would have wanted.  

It was often said on this forum, prior to his appointment and still to this day, that Hughes is not the man who will or can take this club forward.  Maybe that's because, he's not supposed to.

One of the most pathetic posts i've read...

• Agree 1