The new manager thread

Yngwie

It's not.  I didn't resurrect this post based on one result.  Will ICT be better next season with or without Hughes?  I see nothing to say 'with' and plenty to go for change.  Yogi just doesn't seem able to pinpoint what's wrong.  That happened with his previous clubs too but at least that was after a time.

It's not.  I didn't resurrect this post based on one result.  Will ICT be better next season with or without Hughes?  I see nothing to say 'with' and plenty to go for change.  Yogi just doesn't seem able to pinpoint what's wrong.  That happened with his previous clubs too but at least that was after a time.

Not much of a time at Hartlepool.

Renegade--that guy jumping out of the window reminds me more of the current Rangers bickering debacle than anything. I wonder who will blink first over at Ibrox with all the snarling and sniping going on in public?

But, back at the ranch, what disturbs me as much as anything is the apparently crude tactics of some players who are getting far too many red cards. This is decimating the team  and we will never win with only nine players in the long term IMHO. The kind of fouls that merit a red  card seem to depict a complete loss of confidence in the players committing these offences. Either that or these players have a bit of a mean streak in them that is now coming out.

With Aberdeen full of confidence and Messrs Rooney and Robson  doing what were expected of them,  very well I may say, we had better get a real grip of our pants because otherwise ICT will not win the League cup. And that is completely up to Mr Hughes..no ifs or buts about that.

Comments?

Enough of the over-reactions to every single bad result already. You're acting like Old Firm fans.  

In your opinion how many successive 5-0 thrashings does it take before a reaction becomes proportionate ?

An over reaction might be calling for the manager's head. As far as I can see nobody's doing that..........yet.

• Agree 1

Bad result? It's the worst home result in our history! And we're lucky it wasn't more than 5-0. United were playing-out time for the last half-hour.

I definitely think there was one eye on the League Cup Final. Many fans have been just as 'guilty'. Too much nonsense about flags and songs and using the Scottish Cup quarter-final as a 'rehearsal' (!!), not to mention calls for players to 'visit schools and Tesco' in the week of a huge game! Dundee United will have been aware of this naivety.

• Agree 3

The only team we've beaten at home since November is Stranraer.  It's down to tactics, not players that got us to second.

And that was a rubbish performance and only after we'd failed to beat them in the first game, despite them being part time and full of postmen and shoe shop owners!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I honestly think as well, that if we get utterly embarrassed next week and get beat by four goals plus, Yogi's position will be untenable.  He can talk about progress all he likes, but we're not seeing it.  For a man who said when he came in that he wasn't going to change much, things have changed.  Results and performances seemed to have slipped big style.

A gubbing next week and the pressure will be on - on both Hughes, and those who hired him.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by lukemackay

I honestly think as well, that if we get utterly embarrassed next week and get beat by four goals plus, Yogi's position will be untenable.  He can talk about progress all he likes, but we're not seeing it.  For a man who said when he came in that he wasn't going to change much, things have changed.  Results and performances seemed to have slipped big style.

A gubbing next week and the pressure will be on - on both Hughes, and those who hired him.

A gubbing against a poor Hibs side managed by Butcher would be the starter IMO. A must win game on Wednesday now.

• Agree 2

I feel sure this thread will fill the team or should that be teams, management and footballers with superb confidence ahead of next Sunday's game.

The ongoing reaching for ' lost the dressing room' after every downturn in our form has been replaced now by ' lost the fans' !

Exactly what is required at this time ... I don't think!

Don't get me wrong I think we were lucky today - it could have been double figures - and next week is viewed with lots of concern by me, however, I think this sort of rubbish should be deferred until later in the season to offer a united backing to our team/s at this crucial time!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wow.  You actually needed to edit that?!

Top class input though.  Really in-depth.

• Agree 1

So the fans of this club now have a Premiership/Championship mentallity. A couple of bad results and we sack the manager. Man City's guy must be on a sticky wicket. And Sunderlands. And Man U's.

When Butcher was here he was accused of being tacticless. He was slated for playing one up front. Hughes plays two up front and he's got to go. Next we'll be sacking the board for not getting fans through the gate for this game. After all they only reduced the price to a tenner.

People seem to forget that prior to the Celtic game we'd went 6 games unbeaten (albeit one cup replay) had 4 clean sheets on the bounce, had lost 1 in 9, with 5 wins and 3 draws. The Celtic game was no shame. Its happened to many a team at Celtic Park this season and it will probably happen again.

Hitting the panic button a little early folks.

But we really need to put in a proper shift against Hibs. Another performance like today will really not do. I'd happily take a 0-0 bore draw after that.

• Agree 2

Hughes would be a terrible appointment in my view.

You may have had a point .

Yes I did say that at the time and, as it happens, he has done little so far to change my opinion. However, for better or worse, he was the man the board decided to appoint and, in my view, now deserves time to prove the many doubters among us wrong.

If, this time next year we are still going backwards it may be a different story but for now he deserves backing but, with the greatest respect to those who are unreserved happy clappers, that backing does not and should not run to refraining from criticism, even harsh criticism, after results and performances like yesterday. Remember he is a Hibs man through and through and  their fans generally love him to bits but even the great majority of them have got very little positive to say about his abilities as a manager.

Nevertheless, the board seem to see qualities in him that nobody else did and appointed him ahead of one of the most promising and sought after young coaches in the country. The board backed him then it would be wrong and against the traditions of our club for them to waver in that backing now so soon afterwards.

The only point I would make on this is that a lot of "fans" did not want Hughes in the first place so are just itching to find things to show him in a bad light and be sacked. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the attitude that some posters on this thread have that Hughes needs to be sacked now, or at least if we don't deliver some good performances, very soon. Where would that leave, us, trying to find a new manager again, destabilising the club for several months and no guarantee we will be any better off with a new manager.

The same nonsense was spouted about Butcher when we had a bad run under him ( I think at the start of our Championship winning season in Div1) and look what happened.

Hughes may not be the manager some/many wanted but to talk of sacking him at the moment is premature in the extreme. That is not a happy clapper speaking, just reality. If this club starts to go down the lines of other clubs and firing managers afyer months in the job, we will suffer in the long term.

• Agree 1

The only point I would make on this is that a lot of "fans" did not want Hughes in the first place so are just itching to find things to show him in a bad light and be sacked

Rubbish.  I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong.  He hasn't and his football management history doesn't leave a lot to look forward to.

Where would that leave, us, trying to find a new manager again, destabilising the club for several months and no guarantee we will be any better off with a new manager

Could have said the same with Brewster but I thibnk we should have got shot of him sooner.

The same nonsense was spouted about Butcher when we had a bad run under him

Not by me.  But then, he took over a club almost certain to be relegated with a high turnover of staff.  Not a 2nd placed team that can only beat Stranraer at home.

If this club starts to go down the lines of other clubs and firing managers afyer months in the job, we will suffer in the long term.         

Generally yes.  But bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted led Aberdeen to years of relegation battles and bottom-six standings.  Got to be balanced.

• Agree 1

Kingsmills, on 26 Feb 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Wasn't going to go last night but so glad I did in the end. Can add little to what's been said already. I am a John Hughes sceptic but that must have been the best we've played under his management. The tactics could not be faulted and each and every player stood up to the plate and it's impossible to single out any individual. We were so dominant that Hughes was able to give Billy a 20 minute rest ahead of what's bound to be a hard shift for him up front on his own on Saturday. Smart thinking.END QUOTE

Now Sir, I accept that you even in the above compliment to our manager, expressed the fact you are a Hughes sceptic, but it is a big move, by you, in such a short time -tactics can not be faulted etc. to 'have not changed my mind he is 'rubbish'

Now, I am a happy clapper, I think it is after all my happy years up at Kingsmills Park.

It is even now difficult to lose that happiness even whilst mingling with the poor souls with a less cultured background from Telford Street.

It does however offer me a broader overview into management and accept that given our geographical and financial position, too high expectations are difficult to handle especially when we have enjoyed an excellent start to the season and now face reality.

• 3 years later...
On 26/01/2014 at 5:06 PM, Renegade said:

So much for being away from his son, taking himself out of the running and all that other nonsense.  Cameron wanted to take a 'different route' - the cheaper, mercenary route.  

We chose a manager with a record no better than Jim Duffy's, Ivan Golac's or Ian MacCall's, when we could have had one of Scotland's best up and coming managers.  Disgrace.  

Dundee sack Hartley, we get him in and send Dundee down. There's a thought... 

• Agree 1