Who will Butcher try to get from ICT in Jan

CaleyTom

I doubt they will be putting in realistic bids in January but might try to lure one or two when out of contract.  I am sure Petrie's strategy in signing Butcher and his team is for them to sign players for Hibs in the same way they have for us.  It's a low cost strategy because there is no money to throw around.  Hibs is a bigger club and is not so far away for most folk and therefore there would be a realistic expectation of finding it a little easier to attract players to Hibs than it was here.  Any money Hibs have needs to be spent on keeping the players they want to keep and not on transfer fees. 

• Agree 1

Not quite sure that a lack of money will be the bugbear for T Butcher in his quest to build the team.

Rod Petrie is hardly likely to have spent the money on three coaches at the expense of getting in the right players.

Maybe Collins will be transferred out to save some money if he doesn't perform to a high standard?

And T B and Marsella will be relied upon heavily to bring in more  good prospects from England--just exactly as they have done at Tulloch stadium. Why not--it's a no-brainer, surely?

Whilst the name "Terry Butcher" might have attracted more than a few of the current squad to Inverness, I think many of them have come to appreciate that life (and work) here is attractive and enjoyable in itself.

Since news of TB's departure has broken, we've had two players commit their future to the club...and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  You have Richie, whom many would have considered "Butchers Boy" coming towards the end of his playing career and talking about how special the area and the team is...and I reckon most would have had him down as a sure bet to follow TB to Hibs.  You also have Dean Brill who's an ambitious, young (for a keeper) player with 10+ playing years ahead of him who doesn't appear to have had any hesitation in committing to the club for an extended period.

Come January, we'll be looking forward to our Semi-Final...which comes after the window closes...and hopefully still challenging at the right end of the table.  Any player worth his salt isn't going to want to walk away from that to go to Hibs the way things are there just now...and no guarantee that TB will be able to turn it around.

I'd put money on NO players heading to play in Edinburgh...unless it's ones we want to move on...and I can't think of any that fall into that category.

Hibs wont be paying transfer fees, they will look to try get pre-contracts agreed with any out of contract players here and elsewhere in the SPFL plus deals in England. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few Arsenal loanee's appear at Hibs. TB will also have to work with and assess the current Hibs group, perhaps with a manager change some of these players will improve.

Overall now Foran has signed, I'm not overly worried, we have a few players vunerable to poaching, but how much increase in salary will Hibs offer to ICT players when factors such as living costs & lifestyle in Edinburger are factored in.

Terry Butcher has stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't like spending money on transfer fees when there is so much value to be had in the bosman market. Spending 100k on a player is effectively a years basic wage at Hibs.

Chances are he'll look at a few of our Out of Contracts but even then they wouldn't move till summer. I like Ross Draper, very good player, but he's not irreplaceable by any means.

He has played a few games for the U20s and done pretty well.  He offers us an option to throw on a bit of height up front...and unless the new manager is looking to bring in someone else in his place, nobody else offers us that option.

Every single one of our starting XI is better than anyone in the Hibs side. I fully believe that. There is no one in the Hibs team I would take at ICT. Butcher would be mad not to be looking at the likes of Meekings, Shinnie, Draper etc. but that doesn't mean he will get them and I don't think he will.

As I keep stating, I would very much welcome our club moving quickly, if they aren't already, to get new deals on the table for these guys. Look at Aberdeen tying up Hayes and others now before they can be approached by clubs in a couple of months.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

Josh Meekings will be a prime target, but not just for Hibs. Young, powerful, quick and plenty left in the tank.

Meekings is definitely one that TB might look at in the Summer, and whose to say that after three seasons JM might think he has served his time and can honourable go to another club...(if he does, I want Palace to have 1st dib!)