ff
AUDIO

TEXT
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
post-2-0-78087700-1385217522.png

ICT - #BIGGERTHANBUTCHER

Probably frozen to their seats too.

Here in Western Canada the weather has turned distinctly chilly for June.

Um ......I think it was -33 degrees C up in the North and only -5 down here on the West coast--feels like double that though..we have had such a great summer that I don't take kindly to Winter's sudden blast. I.m off back to bed and after I get yup again I will have to check out the brass monkey  to see if he is still intact.... :laugh:

That was an important win and the player's reaction at the end showed they knew it.  We have often struggled against St J and they needed to get something out of the game to close the gap on us.  They looked a pretty decent, well motivated side but were closed down well with their main threats well marshalled.  They had more possession but the fact that Deano did not have a single save to make speaks volumes of how solid we were defensively

At the end we won ugly but we started pretty brightly.  We had a lovely passage of passing football early on before great work from Tremarco down the left allowed him to cross and Billy did well to get on the end of it to score.  We managed to create the better chances and it was perhaps disappointing that others, Draper in particular, did not have their shooting boots on.

But just as our defence closed them down well, theirs did the same.  There was some great tackling and covering by both sides and St J will play a lot worse and win this season.

I thought both Tremarco and Watkins played well.  Doran was a bit disappointring by his usual standards but for me it was Nick Ross who was the weak link.  He started off really well and had some great touches but as the game got more competetive he was far less effective and was regularly bullied off the ball and pressurised into errors.  He was subbed because of a knock but in my view he should have been off earlier. 

No doubt those potential managers on the short list will have been watching and I wonder what they made of the team.  It might be a difficult choice between Tremarco and Raven but I would be surprised if Ross will be in a new manager's first XI.  The rest should be safe.  I would bring Vincent back in when fit with Watkins in place of Ross.  Today was a no nonsense win against a good side.  I think any incoming manager will be well pleased by what they saw today.

• Agree 2

Terrible second half offered very little and sat to deep. Billy left totally isolated , had no outlet and looked so one dimensional at times. Stand out was the back four and foran.

Josh meekings just gets better. Doran wtf is going on with him looked totally uninterested ,when he had the ball always hit the first man,really needs a rest maybe try and earn his place.

Good result against a team i watched totally destroy us 4 0 earlier in the season tho

Agree with DD's take on the game, fab first ten minutes with some lovely link up play, thought we were going to bury them early but they reorganised and made a battle of it. Defence worked really hard together and ensured the three points but agree midfield looked a bit lightweight at times and gave possession away too often to be comfortable. (We actually gave the ball away directly from a throw in again, thought we'd got that sorted - take them more quickly guys!)

We gradually lost the penetration we had for the first ten minutes, but overall a really good 3 points and winning these kinds of games when we don't play well is great. St J are a good team but couldn't really threaten our goal. Need to keep our back four if at all possible.

Once again the league table makes happy reading tonight. Sitting second in late November - fab.

Edited by Bluesman
  • Agree 1

Great goal from Billy. Lovely bit of skill by Viva Tremarco and Billy did well to adjust himself to put it in. Saints looked dangerous on the break but seemed to run out of ideas really quickly, especially in the 2nd half. Dont remember Deano needing to do much. Foran and the back four put in another solid shift as well as Billy running himself raged.

Defensively we coped well. This is a result we threw away in the last minute last season, whereas this season we have held out, sign of progress - especially given that its been 2 and a half years since our last win over Saint Johnstone. This no manager thing seems to be working well but no doubt we will be finding out soon enough...

Only negative of the day i have is Marley Watkins - what is he supposed to be doing? Works hard enough but just dosent offer enough going forward for me, time will tell i suppose.

Edited by AJS

Another win and a clean sheet - does not matter if it was ugly a win is a win we will take it as I am sure we will play better at some point and lose- thought we were going to close the Gap on Celtic today but another injury time goal for them got them the win