The price of players in the SPL

Doofer

Having heard that St Johnstone have turned down an offer of £300K for Stevie May it got me thinking about how much players in Scottish football are actually worth. St Johnstone have valued May at £800K but i actually think he is worth more. He has scored 8 goals already and he is only 21 years old. He is only going to get better and the potential there is extremely promising. Considering Blackburn bought David Goodwillie for £2m and Norwich bought Hooper for £5m, does that mean that hooper is over 10 times better than May? If St Johnstone are valuing May at £800K, how much should ICT be valuing McKay? £1m? £2m? It must be more than May as he is more proven at this level and has scored more goals. However, if ICT were to recieve an offer for him i would be surprised if its anything over £500K because he plays for ICT. If Mckay was at Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Motherwell and scoring like he is for us, he would demand a fee much higher because of the club he plays for. It would be even more at Celtic.

A player who is scoring goals for a small Premiership club should be worth more than the player scoring for the big club, depending on where they are in the leagues too.

Rylan Gauld is being quoted at £ 6m, bigger club so he has talent, but 6 million!!!!!

Hooper went for £ 5m, scoring a similar number of goals as to Billy Mckay, but playing in a team creating an awful lot more chances than ICT. So how many would Hooper score for us, and how many would Mckay score for them. Want a bet that one would be scoring a hat full more given the chances Celtic create. 

Stevie May worth £ 800,000, I think they may be undervaluing him at that, compared to the others.

ICT should expect bidding to start well above £ 1m for Mckay, if they were to even consider any offers.

If he was Wilhelm (GER), Guglielmo (ITA), or Guillermo (ESP) or had an exotic sounding last name rather than Mackay he would be worth millions, as plain old Billy McKay we will probably get offered a bag of deflated balls ...... but that suits us so long as he keeps banging them in when he wants to.

I don't know about Rotherhams financial situation or they underestimated the SPL, but for two of the top scorers in the SPL at the moment they're acting awfully big time for a League 1 club trying to get the SPLs top two scorers ATM for significantly lower than they should go for.

Not at all! The English leagues highly underestimate the SPL. I recall some Luton fans reckoning they could beat us easily. The money is far better down there but the standard is better up here, if Rotherham think they have a chance in McKay then they need to think again

An interesting point about the standards.  I used to watch Leyton Orient back in the 4th tier of football (whatever name it went by in those days) when I stayed in London, probably late 90's I'd say and the standard compared to the 1st division games I'd see ICT playing in was shocking.  More money sure but that doesn't automatically mean a higher standard.

I'm not so sure if it's the same these days however.

BTW - we'd thump Luton!

An interesting point about the standards.  I used to watch Leyton Orient back in the 4th tier of football (whatever name it went by in those days) when I stayed in London, probably late 90's I'd say and the standard compared to the 1st division games I'd see ICT playing in was shocking.  More money sure but that doesn't automatically mean a higher standard.

I'm not so sure if it's the same these days however.

BTW - we'd thump Luton!

Well I watched Luton a few weeks back drawing 0-0 with Gateshead.  Our current ICT team would beat them for sure.  I reckon the Skrill Premiership (the Conference) is on par with the Scottish First Division (Or the Championship to give it it's new silly name).  Two or three teams would probably be on par with bottom six teams this season - Killie, County etc.  Actually i'm certain Gateshead would beat Hearts, Killie and County at the moment. 

It's easy to say that about a team you follow, I watched Cambridge United thump Aldershot 4-0 and them also beat Needham Market 1-0 recently, the only standout who I reckon would be SPL standard was Kwesi Appiah, until I was informed by a fan that he was on loan from Crystal Palace. Another forward Adam Cunnington wasn't bad, but would be a First Division player at best, there was a Scot, Tom Bonner, but he was poor. The standards lower than you think down there it's just incredibly overrated,

I was at the ICT-Charlton game in the summer, and I thought on the whole, Charlton were pretty rubbish.  When you think about, the average ICT wage is probably somewhere around £600 a week.  Theirs is probably closer to £5,000!  Apart from their big centre-back and Pritchard that wee nippy winger (the number 14), I doubt any of their players would get anywhere near our first team, and Coventry last year were even worse!

Edited by Renegade