The assistant manager thread

TopSix

Just noticed on the Tremarco and Williams contract renewal article by the BBC it goes on to say

Meanwhile, manager John Hughes says he is close to making an announcement on his assistant coach.

I have a feeling that it may be Brian Rice coming back but if not Duncan Shearer will most likely get it.

Yes, yes, yes I like the sound of this. Great player who has played at the highest level internationally. I have a Trinidad and Tobaigo top that I wear to the gym and have driven past their stadium. One of my favourite footballing memories outiwith ICT is T and T's World Cup run.

Coach at Falkirk, then became assistant before becoming manager of Trinidad and Tobago, and is now assistant manager at Boavista.

That's not a bad CV.  Certainly looks like there's more to him than just the fact he was a great player, and there's also that flamboyant side to him, which I personally like!  :smile:

Terrific move. He brings a wealth of experience as well as a history of being a quality player back in his day. He could certainly help most of our midfielders raise the game with what he knows. Could prove to be a very shrewd move from Yogi.

• Agree 1

Coach at Falkirk, then became assistant before becoming manager of Trinidad and Tobago, and is now assistant manager at Boavista.

That's not a bad CV.

One thing to note. Whilst Boavista is a club with a good history and stadium to match, for the last few years they have been playing in the Portuguese 3rd flight, which according to Wikipedia comprises non-professional regional leagues.

On the plus side, there is a chance that any decent players they have might see us as a step up!

As a player he brings domestic, European and even world cup experience to the table. I'd say Yogi has got the best buy possible out of people he knows. His coaching experience may not be as vast but this is a great place for him to build on it.

Edited by AJS

I remember a night with Brewster playing for us and Latapy for Falkirk in Inverness several years ago.

We were hammered 1-4 (I think) on a horrible cold dark wet night with Latapy so outstanding considering

the conditions. I remember it well as I was sitting in the front row of North stand soaked and depressed

but being impressed with Russell Latapy.

• Agree 1

Does anyone recall his solo run from his own half, before rounding Brown...only to have his goal stolen by the little troll that is Anthony Stokes, many moons ago against Falkirk? I think he was 38 at that point. 

Edited by AJS