The assistant manager thread

TopSix

Radio report implying he is checking out Foran and Shearer I would be happy with that

as they know the team and how to get the best from them .Together they could come

up with something special .

I don't know if I would like Foran as assistant manager (Just yet anyways)

The man said it himself on the YouTube channel that he is concentrating on his football and that's what I hope he does. As he has said previously, it's come too early for him.

Duncan Shearer would be a good option but as has been said he doesn't like being in the limelight. Being an assistant would take most of it away but I think he would be more comfortable continuing in his role with the U20s.

The key factor that Yogi has to take when deciding an assistant manager it needs to be firstly someone that Yogi himself gets along with but also someone who the fans would appreciate having along side him. I don't know what John Robertson and Yogi are like but that pairing would be a good match despite one being a Jambo and the other a Hibee.

When I listened to Yogi and the question got asked on who his assistant manager would be, I was impressed with the answer that he gave back that he would take his time and consider the right guy (who may already be at the club)

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

I have just had my first contact with Yogi to arrange the timings of the monthly psychotherapy sessions. He appears to be a bit of a riddler. I asked him who were in the frame for the assistant managers position and his response was "It is going to be like the Life of Brian".

So that means that - as they say in the Jungle - it could be Brian Horton (possibly too ensconsed at Doncaster) - it could be Brian Rice (no idea where he is) - but it could be (and my vote) Brian McClair (again well embedded in the MUFC Academy system) but who has been talking about coaching opportunities and may well be released until the close of the season. Now he would have real influence on loan deals.

Dont think it will Shearer. He will want to go back to what he is doing with the under 20's. I would expect Yogi to bring in someone he knows. 

Edited by AJS

Could we see Shearer as assistant and Charlie Christie (or John Docherty, Kellacher etc.) taking over the U20s, unless Shearer does both jobs.  Or Christie as assistant of course.  

I still wonder if we'll see John Collins turning up at some point, and we still need a goalkeeping coach.

A couple of good coaches and a decent scouting network would be money well spent. Assistant manager is just a title probably attracting more money. Duncan could be the "Offensive Coach" in addition to his U21 role and we could get a "Defensive and Fitness Coach" alongside.

With the way our team is, we have quite a big overlap of the regular first team and the U20 squad.  Would having Shearer doing both jobs really be a bad thing?  He'd certainly know more about the players than anyone at the club now I would've thought.

Edited by Renegade

I think Shearer's best suited to the under 21's but who knows.

Regarding the goal keeping coach, I really hope it's not Gordon Marshall, ex Hibs and Celtic coach. He was sacked at Celtic I believe and was coach at Hibs when they had a succession of terrible keepers. Not really a pivotal role but just a point

A couple of good coaches and a decent scouting network would be money well spent. Assistant manager is just a title probably attracting more money. Duncan could be the "Offensive Coach" in addition to his U21 role and we could get a "Defensive and Fitness Coach" alongside.

"Offensive coach"!!! :ohmy: You've got to stop watching so much American Football, caleyboy!

• Agree 2

I'm going to put in a shout for Les Fridge here (fully expecting to be shot down in flames). I know Nairn have had a few quid to spend but 11 wins from their last 12 is an impressive statistic. After a dodgy start his team have really come on with eye-catching 4-1 wins over both Formartine & Wick.

A born and bred Invernessian he could really help Hughes settle into his new job. Would also save having to employ a goalkeeping coach.

Right I'll just go get my tin hat!

I'm having trouble remembering all our previous Assistant Managers! Anyone care to remind me?

Alex Caldwell (steve paterson), Duncan Shearer (Steve Paterson), Donald Park( John Robertson), Malky Thomson( Craig Brewster), Maurice Malpas (Terry Butcher), Theres a couple more but im struggling to think who.  Who was Assistant when Charlie was in charge?

• Agree 1