The assistant manager thread

TopSix

The Scotsman article is from July. Did he actually go to jail or is he still over there trying to pay off his debts. If yogi decides to employ him then we would just have to trust his judgement but for the moment it's speculation and rumour again

The most important thing is John Hughes picks who he would like, Russell Latapy or Owen Coyle both worked alongside him in the past....

Owen coyle-what are you on. Lol

so i have heard that Duncan Shearer does not want the assistant manager post but there is someone else within the club that really wants it - I'll give you all a clue - RF.

I'm not entirely sure Yogi would want that. I still think he will bring his own man in.

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I like big Dunc I think we need someone who's preferably got a good amount of 1st team coaching experience and also more importantly has the character and confidence to tell JH when he may be in the wrong. I'm not sure DS is quite that character.

• Agree 2

Foran's 3 year deal, at his age, suggests the club are grooming him for some kind of role in the management team. But I think he's too similar to Hughes.

What you want is somebody who is a good foil for the manager. Somebody who compensates for the managers weaknesses. What does Hughes lack? He seems like 'one of the boys', a decent motivator and coach, but unproven as a tactician and with a reputation for favouritism and bullying. I think the assistant should be a bit more detached, objective and cerebral.

Edited by AlexJones

So I have heard that Duncan Shearer is in fact going to take the assistant manager post with Barry Wilson joining in the summer to take on the under 20 job.

Why wait till 2015?  Lets put Foran and Wilson in charge right now, couldn't think of a more popular pairing from a fans perspective, short of my childhood sweetheart Liam Keogh coming back.

Edited by clacher_holiday2
  • Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

I'm struggling with this one because I want Richie Foran to be assistant to be groomed as a future boss like McCoist was at Rangers but also wouldn't mind Collins or Shearer as assistant.

I wouldn't mind Latapy as the assistant. Bring something different to the club.

Preferably a good tactician. Someone who is known as a student of the game.

I hear AVB is out of a job at the moment, and his stock needs rising.