The assistant manager thread

TopSix

He was a cracking player, very talented.  I'm still trying to come to terms with a chain smoker who was lazy and hated training, now being responsible for preparing our team and getting them match fit.

This could describe another very successful assistant manager ie John Robertson (assistant to Martin O'neil).

Thought I had been smoking something when I heard this. Hope ICT turns out to be the right joint for him.

And yes I can remember him ripping us a new a hole on more than one occassion. Think it would be good for our forward thinking players, you never now Dwight Yorke might turn up to do some training with the forwards too, best friends I seem to recall

• Agree 1

He was an excellent player in the SPL for both Hibs and Falkirk and has a very good football brain. I would hope he can transfer his methods to the players.

People may have reservations about his attitude to training and the fact he is a chain smoker but it has to be pointed out he was still playing SPL football until his late 30s. He is very fit.
Also if you were from the Caribbean would you like training in Falkirk in the middle of January? i certainly wouldn't.

What positivity on this news ....What a lovely refreshing change.

I remember dreading when he was playing against us due to his

ability as a player ,so if he is half as good as an assistant he will

do well.

I am looking forward to confirmation of his appointment and him

starting as I do believe we need some stability now.

• Agree 3

He was an excellent player in the SPL for both Hibs and Falkirk and has a very good football brain. I would hope he can transfer his methods to the players.

People may have reservations about his attitude to training and the fact he is a chain smoker but it has to be pointed out he was still playing SPL football until his late 30s. He is very fit.

Also if you were from the Caribbean would you like training in Falkirk in the middle of January? i certainly wouldn't.

Nobody likes Falkirk at any time.

• Agree 1

Pre-season tour of the Caribbean?  :smile:

I've made a few enquiries about rescheduling our preliminary plans for July, and the draft fixture list looks quite tempting.

Sun 6 Friendly Clachnacuddin Kingston

Tue 8 Friendly Fort William Nevis

Sat 12 Friendly Montrose Montserrat

Tue 15 Friendly Brora Barbados

Wed 16 Friendly Muir of Ord Port of Spain

Sat 19 Friendly Arbroath Aruba

Wed 23 Friendly Elgin Holguin

Sat 26 League St Johnstone St Lucia

A luxury cruise liner has been provisionally booked to accomodate and transport the team and the fans between islands, to be paid for by the same long queue of sponsors who are donating to the scoreboard fund.

However, with the SPFL insisting that the first game kicks off at 12.30pm on a Sunday, long before even the first Megabus gets in, a fleet of jets is being arranged by CaleyJags Together to get us all over there in time. Red Stripe have kindly offered to subsidise the transport cost of this down to a very reasonable £10 per head. There will of course be a toilet stop at Broxden.

• Agree 14

JOHN Hughes is hopeful of appointing Russell Latapy as his assistant manager before Caley Thistle take on Aberdeen.

Latapy, who played under Hughes at Falkirk, is currently coaching with Boavista in Portugal, but the 45-year-old has been in Scotland doing his UEFA pro licence.

"I’ve been speaking to Russell since I’ve came in here," said Hughes. "I get on well with him.

"If he can tie up the business that he has with Boavista then hopefully he’ll be with us towards the end of the week."

Quoted from an article in today's Inverness Courier about the possible return of Greg Tansey to the club

linky: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Tansey-could-be-in-line-for-ICT-return-13012014.htm

So it seems Tansey could be en route. Still a bit confused as to the motive but would be welcome all the same. Looks like Latapy wil be in soon. Will be a relief to see our managment team finally complete.

• Agree 1

Pre-season tour of the Caribbean?  :smile:

I've made a few enquiries about rescheduling our preliminary plans for July, and the draft fixture list looks quite tempting.

Sun 6 Friendly Clachnacuddin Kingston

Tue 8 Friendly Fort William Nevis

Sat 12 Friendly Montrose Montserrat

Tue 15 Friendly Brora Barbados

Wed 16 Friendly Muir of Ord Port of Spain

Sat 19 Friendly Arbroath Aruba

Wed 23 Friendly Elgin Holguin

Sat 26 League St Johnstone St Lucia

A luxury cruise liner has been provisionally booked to accomodate and transport the team and the fans between islands, to be paid for by the same long queue of sponsors who are donating to the scoreboard fund.

However, with the SPFL insisting that the first game kicks off at 12.30pm on a Sunday, long before even the first Megabus gets in, a fleet of jets is being arranged by CaleyJags Together to get us all over there in time. Red Stripe have kindly offered to subsidise the transport cost of this down to a very reasonable £10 per head. There will of course be a toilet stop at Broxden.

Nice one but do we all have to share a bed with Russell?

Russell Latapy has agreed to leave Boavista and join as assistant manager. Confirmation due anytime before next week but Latapy not expected in Inverness until next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Edited by ICTRoughi

I'm attempting to muster some optimism over this, could be just the lift we need to get into the swing of things again.

Will take pressure of Shearer and Hughes for sure, which will take pressure of the players.

The 6 weeks+ wait for an appointment is still a **** up on the part of Kenny Cameron, should all have been sewn up within 24 hours of Hughes being announced as manager.  It's all well having confidence in your existing staff but it was obvious to everyone before Hughes came in that Shearer wasn't interested in being assistant. 

Either Hughes was dictated to that he couldnt bring in his own person straight away to maintain continuity or Hughes didn't have a clear vision of who he needed at the club from the outset and it wasnt seen as an issue when hiring 'the best candidate' by the chairman, both were bloody mistakes on KC's part.

A win on Saturday would soon shut me up lol

This could well turn out to be a master stroke by Yogi in recruiting Latapy as assistant

Russell was an exceptionally talented player with great technique and in my mind played the game the right way predominantly on the deck

Importantly it gives Yogi further time to bed in and if anything it will take some of the heat of him from the boo boys on here for a while at least

Dougal