St Mirren -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

Difficult game, so I'm happy with the point. If we win the rescheduled game OTB we're six points clear of DU. Speaking of OTB: In the youtube highlights it looks like there were less than 1000 at Victoria Park :rotflmao:

It's notoriously difficult to gauge crowds from TV vantage points. In reality, Kilmarnock has been our poorest home league crowd this season with only 11 more fans than County had yesterday!

So what was the story with Warren stopping Thomson getting a card? Saw a St Mirren fan tweeting a well done to him.

SCOTLAND ON SUNDAY

"Compliments of the day were earned by Gary Warren, however, after he saved Steven Thompson from a booking late on. The defender lost his footing as the St Mirren striker slid in to him, and referee Callum Murray reached for his pocket in believing contact had been made.

“I don’t usually do that, to be honest with you. But he is a nice guy, I like him, and I didn’t want to see him booked.

“He didn’t touch me so I wasn’t going to roll around in agony, like quite a lot of people do nowadays. The ref was going to book him but, at the end of the day, he is an honest guy and so am I. To be fair to the ref he said to me afterwards he was going to book him and thanked me for saying there was nothing in it. In football these days a lot of players fake things and dive around. But this game was played in the right spirit. I like to be aggressive and tough but also be fair as well.”

It will never catch on."

• Agree 11

St Mirren have improved greatly from our game against them in August and it was clear that the plan in the first half was to throw everything at us on the break to try and get an early/first half goal.  We defended well without the need or desire to throw everyone behind the ball and were still creating opportunities for ourself at the other end.

As St Mirren decided to lose their legs a bit towards the end of the first half we enjoyed the best of the last 10 to 15 minutes...and that continued in the second half where St Mirrens fast forays forward were much reduced in number.

Ryan Esson's heart must sink every time Brill plays as he was outstanding yesterday and, despite the pressure at times, remained fully composed and did nothing to cause the players to lose confidence in him.

A few of the guys looked like they were trying a bit too hard and looking for the perfect shooting opportunity...but que sera.  They'll settle under Hughes now and get back to their usual selves.

Marley Watkins gets more and more exciting every time I see him play and despite initially giving Dean Brill my MotM, I've changed my mind.  The lad is an absolute joy to watch with the ball at his feet and his strength on the ball and ability/determination to win it back on the odd occasion he does lose it is second to none within the squad.  I'm not normally an advocate of extra long term deals, but we should be offering Marley at least 5 years.

St Mirren have improved greatly from our game against them in August and it was clear that the plan in the first half was to throw everything at us on the break to try and get an early/first half goal.  We defended well without the need or desire to throw everyone behind the ball and were still creating opportunities for ourself at the other end.

As St Mirren decided to lose their legs a bit towards the end of the first half we enjoyed the best of the last 10 to 15 minutes...and that continued in the second half where St Mirrens fast forays forward were much reduced in number.

Ryan Esson's heart must sink every time Brill plays as he was outstanding yesterday and, despite the pressure at times, remained fully composed and did nothing to cause the players to lose confidence in him.

A few of the guys looked like they were trying a bit too hard and looking for the perfect shooting opportunity...but que sera.  They'll settle under Hughes now and get back to their usual selves.

Marley Watkins gets more and more exciting every time I see him play and despite initially giving Dean Brill my MotM, I've changed my mind.  The lad is an absolute joy to watch with the ball at his feet and his strength on the ball and ability/determination to win it back on the odd occasion he does lose it is second to none within the squad.  I'm not normally an advocate of extra long term deals, but we should be offering Marley at least 5 years.

I'm glad to hear continuing good reports about Marley....when I saw him when he came on at home to Partick, I instinctively felt he was a good prospect, sometimes though a player can peak with their first game! In Marley's case I think he could become a very important player for us.

I really rated Marley Watkins the first times I saw him against Keith and Forres.  He's been pretty good since he's come in, but here's the thing - I don't think he's really fit his top form yet.  When he finally comes good, he'll be superb.  An even better prospect than Doran IMO, hard to believe he's only about 23 as well!

Agree with that - Marley is a great prospect even though he is still finding his feet in the SPL.  To my mind, we have the best wing pairing in the SPL, and we need to be careful of the transfer window

Going to go against the grain here but I think Williams is a better winger than Watkins. He has a much better final ball than Watkins who seems to be copying Aaron Doran in that he slows the play right down at the crucial moment.

This was Carl Tremarco's 6th appearance for us, and the first time we didn't win. Still unbeaten though.

On that subject, ICT are unbeaten in 6, whilst Hughes as manager is actually unbeaten in his last 5, despite 4 of those being at the worst team in League 1. And as I mentioned elsewhere, we have achieved 4 consecutive clean sheets.

Lots of impressive stats, all just waiting to come crashing down at some point!

• Agree 1

When is it being published IHE ?.................I'm placing my order now !

I wouldn't bother IHE, absolute shocking game of football, worst I've been to in yrs

And some folk are actually happy to have Hughes 

And some folk are willing to give him more than 2 days to make a difference!.

• Agree 1

So what was the story with Warren stopping Thomson getting a card? Saw a St Mirren fan tweeting a well done to him.

SCOTLAND ON SUNDAY

"Compliments of the day were earned by Gary Warren, however, after he saved Steven Thompson from a booking late on. The defender lost his footing as the St Mirren striker slid in to him, and referee Callum Murray reached for his pocket in believing contact had been made.

“I don’t usually do that, to be honest with you. But he is a nice guy, I like him, and I didn’t want to see him booked.

“He didn’t touch me so I wasn’t going to roll around in agony, like quite a lot of people do nowadays. The ref was going to book him but, at the end of the day, he is an honest guy and so am I. To be fair to the ref he said to me afterwards he was going to book him and thanked me for saying there was nothing in it. In football these days a lot of players fake things and dive around. But this game was played in the right spirit. I like to be aggressive and tough but also be fair as well.”

It will never catch on."

Well done Gary! Is this the start of the return of sportsmanship on the football grounds all over Europe? In the German 2nd Bundesliga Florian Trinks of Greuther Furth went to the ref and told him he scored with his hand on Saturday. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: