Celtics fans reputation in tatters

bauhaus

It seems to me the constant mentioning of Celtics self titled best fans in the world is exploding in their faces at the moment. Its been mentioned continually over the last few years about the amount of trouble they are causing away from home, at friendlies. Can not really suprise any one, apart from Celtic fans themselvses. Rangers have quite rightly been tarnished in the media over the last few years but I've always thought they are as bad as each other, Seem to remember numbers of seats getting damaged at TCS by them both in the past.

Celtic fans even carrying knives into games, and stabbings amongst themselves ( did that also happen up here?)

Thing is, this current troubles, is it down to the Green Brigade solely, or are other fans getting involved. Celtic sell their away tickets, not the home teams, so it should be very easy for them to identify the culprits, and ban them from all football grounds. We do not need this scum in the scottish game, as it gets labeled as Scottish hooligans everywhere else.

I've always thought that Celtic fans were 50% better than Rangers fans in their behaviour.

By that I mean that I would give Rangers 1/10 and Celtic 1.5/10 :lol:

Having said that the only times I've ever been spat on at the football in nearly 50 years were after the two cup wins over Celtic.

Had to laugh at the Green Brigade describing themselves as 'non-sectarian' as they hold aloft a Bobby Sands/IRA tribute.

Having grown up thataway, I see no difference between Celtic and Rangers fans.  The club may have been more open, religion-wise (if religion is the word) but the supporters were still violent thugs, supporting paramilitaries.  Celtic were far behind Rangers in distancing themselves from that bigotry too.  Not saying the Gers stamped it out - quite obviously not.  But the calls against were much greater, mostly due to the Champions League and Murray having no truck with that background.

Every football clubs support base contains anti-social scum. The OF seem worse because their bigger crowds afford these types the critical mass to blend into a mob. Our own gobby neds stand in a small group at the back of the stand and are pretty much harmless. But if you had a few hundred such types bunched together they would be far more belligerent. People behave worse in large groups. I'm sure the resident psychologist can explain.

I'm sick of hearing Celtic's claim as having 'the best support in the world'!

What does it actually mean?

A club has its support and that's that. No one support is 'better' than another. Having more supporters doesn't naturally make that club's support better than any another!

Perceived 'atmosphere' at grounds is also a poor gauge as again, that's usually down to the number of fans in attendance.

How about arrests made at grounds? Don't think Celtic would fare so well on that count! But again, they've so many fans that there's obviously going to be more fans 'lifted'.

A Man Utd supporter from Belfast who travels to Old Trafford once a season for his routine visit to 'keep-up' the pretence of being a fan is surely not a better supporter than an Aberdeen based Inverness CT fan who makes the trip home very second week to follow his team!

There's simply no such thing as 'the best supporters'. Indeed, I've more time for guy who supports only one team, whether it be Wick, Montrose or Dunfermline than a bloke who has sympathies for Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona and the obligatory 'wee' team, like Watford! These folk, for me aren't real football fans!

• Agree 4

I've never understood this whole "Who's your English team attitude?".  It's always teams that win as well I've noticed - Manchester City "fans" have skyrocketed in the last few years, the same as Chelsea "fans" did before them - it was only about 10 years ago, Chelsea were on the same level as say, Everton or Swansea and certainly didn't have this huge, and predominantly younger, fanbase.  You never meet someone who supports Dagenham and Redbridge out of the blue!

If people move abroad and start watching their local team over there or something of that nature, then that's fair enough, but I can't understand people with a Spanish, Italian, German, Ugandan, Papua New Guinean etc. team as well at all.  Seems so false.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

I lived in Newcastle for a couple of years and went regularly to St James's Park to watch the local team.

I still like to follow their fortunes as I have such good memories of my time there.

Newcastle United is my English team!!

Totally agree! How is it possible to 'support' more than one team at a time? It's illogical! The most anyone can support a team is 100%. That's a fact.

If you have 'an English team' that's fine. But then you can't claim to be 100% behind ICT.

There was a great 'catch-line' SKY Sports ran a few years ago aimed at youngsters regarding supporting a team - along the lines of, 'think carefully before you choose' because you'll never change when you become ingrained with your club! well, proper football fans don't never change allegiance!

You're with a team for life. It's in your blood. Usually ingrained through family or upbringing. Changing colours is a crime! Particularly as it's usually always to teams currently doing well. Glory hunting, is the term!

A team is more sacred than MARRIAGE! Hardcore fans stick with their team, regardless of their personal life. Marriages may come and go, but their team stays the same! Blokes will go through more marriages than teams! And folk laughed when Shankly said Football was more important than life or death!

Anybody raving going on about their English team.....aaaagh!!!

How? They are a football club who will be rivals to us if we meet. They'll have their own supporters. Why would you support the opposition?

You can't be 100% for one team and a supporter of another. The arithmetic and logic dictates it's impossible.

• Agree 1

I cant see how having a preferred team in a league that your own team will never compete in can be deemed 'changing colours'. In English leagues I would favour Liverpool and in Spanish its Athletico Madrid simply because I've had opportunity to watch those two teams. Following the attitude of some I should, perhaps, never watch a match on tv that doesn't involve Inverness.

Totally agree! How is it possible to 'support' more than one team at a time? It's illogical! The most anyone can support a team is 100%. That's a fact.

If you have 'an English team' that's fine. But then you can't claim to be 100% behind ICT.

There was a great 'catch-line' SKY Sports ran a few years ago aimed at youngsters regarding supporting a team - along the lines of, 'think carefully before you choose' because you'll never change when you become ingrained with your club! well, proper football fans don't never change allegiance!

You're with a team for life. It's in your blood. Usually ingrained through family or upbringing. Changing colours is a crime! Particularly as it's usually always to teams currently doing well. Glory hunting, is the term!

A team is more sacred than MARRIAGE! Hardcore fans stick with their team, regardless of their personal life. Marriages may come and go, but their team stays the same! Blokes will go through more marriages than teams! And folk laughed when Shankly said Football was more important than life or death!

How? They are a football club who will be rivals to us if we meet. They'll have their own supporters. Why would you support the opposition?

You can't be 100% for one team and a supporter of another. The arithmetic and logic dictates it's impossible.

You need to make an appointment IMO

I don't really understand how anyone can watch a game without having a preferred team. For English games I have a kind of Scottish factor points system amongst other reasons for supporting one team over another. Favouring teams in other SPL games usually hinges on benefit to ICT but I must admit the recent County Hibs game was a challenge-wasn't sure who I liked best.

On the matter of changing teams I would hope that anyone relocating to the Highlands would want to bring their kids along to TCS rather than encourage them to support old firm etc. If you're raising your kids to support the local team its hard not to do so yourself. I guess the same applies elsewhere.

• Agree 1

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There is so much that is wrong about that post!

Disagre totally Sneckboy

I've been a Chelsea fan since the early 80's, ICT fan since merger, pre-merger Caledonian.

I would rather watch ICT week in week out but "make do" with Chels as I live in West London.

It costs me a wedge to fly "home or away" to watch ICT so I head to the Bridge, but if / when we play Chelsea in Champions League I'll be in the Caley end.

I also support any Scottish team that plays Chelsea in Europe so I beleive I can still support ICT 100% but be a bit of a slut and watch Chels.....

• Agree 1

What would the score be if Hearts or Motherwell or ourselves for that matter were to play a team like that? At least we can stop kidding ourselves that Scottish league football can hold its head up in Europe again. Celtic have not just embarrassed themselves. Didn't watch this pointless game. Did the fans at least behave themselves? Did any of them stay to the end?

:ictscarf:post-2-0-14295500-1386817568.gif

I call bullshit on the idea you cannot support two teams ... I am 100% ICT for every game no matter the opposition and have been since the day we were formed, but i am also 100% Toronto FC given that i live here and have been to virtually every home game since 2007.  if people in the old cliche can give 110% then i can support 200% !!!

incidentally, if ICT & TFC were ever to meet, in the club world cup final, or perhaps more likely a friendly, then it would be ICT for me.

• Agree 1

When I stayed in London I used to go and watch Leyton Orient play and went to see Wimbledon a couple of times with a Wimbledon supporting colleague.  I also went to watch Leicester City play several times when I was at Uni there but overall I couldn't really give a toss about any of them (maybe the O's if pushed).  ICT is the only football team I have passion for and means anything to me.  That's assuming we are talking domestic football only.  I'm very passionate about supporting Scotland too.

I have no beef with people having an English team.  Although Capital Caley gets right on everyone's t1ts constantly banging on about gateshead!  :happy:

Going back to the Celtic thing - I do think the club have handled things very well and have done the right thing.

Disagre totally Sneckboy

I've been a Chelsea fan since the early 80's, ICT fan since merger, pre-merger Caledonian.

I would rather watch ICT week in week out but "make do" with Chels as I live in West London.

It costs me a wedge to fly "home or away" to watch ICT so I head to the Bridge, but if / when we play Chelsea in Champions League I'll be in the Caley end.

I also support any Scottish team that plays Chelsea in Europe so I beleive I can still support ICT 100% but be a bit of a slut and watch Chels.....

"Chels" FFS.

• Agree 1

I've always thought that Celtic fans were 50% better than Rangers fans in their behaviour.

By that I mean that I would give Rangers 1/10 and Celtic 1.5/10 :lol:

Having said that the only times I've ever been spat on at the football in nearly 50 years were after the two cup wins over Celtic.

Funnily enough, the only time I have been spat on was by Celtic supporters although that was quite a few years ago now.

Then again, I was in uniform at the time along with another RAMC medic. Explained it but didn't excuse it.

I've always thought that Celtic fans were 50% better than Rangers fans in their behaviour.By that I mean that I would give Rangers 1/10 and Celtic 1.5/10 :lol:Having said that the only times I've ever been spat on at the football in nearly 50 years were after the two cup wins over Celtic.

Funnily enough, the only time I have been spat on was by Celtic supporters although that was quite a few years ago now.Then again, I was in uniform at the time along with another RAMC medic. Explained it but didn't excuse it.

Pinch of salt springs to mind !!!!!!