John Hughes

Azgaz

I am sure Man Utd fans are happy you were not rustling up this sort of rubbish about Alex Ferguson 25 years ago.

His attempt to stamp his management ideas took longer than you are offering John Hughes.

lol

If hughes had recently won the second tier european trophy with Aberdeen, I think we'd be prepared to give him a decade to get it right.

Man United were not Second when Ferguson took over.

What exactly is this John Hughes stamp youre waiting for?

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes.

Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that.  Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour.

Cheaper option with Cameron telling yogi to appoint an assistant from within the club . Now that he's bombed they might let him bring in an experienced number 2 to try and keep the fans happy .

I am sure Man Utd fans are happy you were not rustling up this sort of rubbish about Alex Ferguson 25 years ago.

His attempt to stamp his management ideas took longer than you are offering John Hughes.

lol

If hughes had recently won the second tier european trophy with Aberdeen, I think we'd be prepared to give him a decade to get it right.

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes. Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that. Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour. Cheaper option with Cameron telling yogi to appoint an assistant from within the club . Now that he's bombed they might let him bring in an experienced number 2 to try and keep the fans happy .

How has he "bombed"?

• Agree 1

As was pointed out by somebody else on the new manager thread, Hartley has in recent years played in Bristol and Aberdeen, all while having a daughter living in the central belt, so domestic issues were not a problem until 2 months ago apparently.

Supposedly he split with his wife but I don't know when that happened but you're right. His family were still in Scotland when Paul was at Bristol City.

Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

You've mentioned the compensation issue before Eagle.

I've been away on holiday so not up to speed with current events but even if there's only a hint of truth in your statement, and I have no reason to doubt you, its a shockingly short-sighted route for KC to go down.

I of course wish Yogi all the best and hope he proves us doubters wrong but he was at best 3rd choice for the role, behind MM & JR Hartley, is this why Grassa Bennett called it a day?

I cant help but wonder how many more fans will stay away as we slide further and further down the league.

lol

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes.Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that. Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour.Cheaper option with Cameron telling yogi to appoint an assistant from within the club . Now that he's bombed they might let him bring in an experienced number 2 to try and keep the fans happy .

How has he "bombed"?

I will let you work that one out mate :-)

Edited by Guest

lol

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes.Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that. Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour.Cheaper option with Cameron telling yogi to appoint an assistant from within the club . Now that he's bombed they might let him bring in an experienced number 2 to try and keep the fans happy .

How has he "bombed"?

So after 6 games, you've decided that he's failed - ridiculous thinking.

lol

Stop trotting utter garbbage, the people will soon be voting with thier feet and Cameron is the one who should pay the price, not Hughes. Cameron has to take full responsibility for this .He had the chance to take on Telfor or Hartley but both carried baggage ie assistants that would need paid and compo . Unfortunately Cameron's decision in appointing John Hughes has been an absolute car crash : you can take cally out of inverness but you can't take inverness out of cally !!! IMHO

IIRC one of the newspapers during the managerial saga said essentially that. Hartley was all ready to go, but Cameron changed his mind and switched to Hughes at the eleventh hour. Cheaper option with Cameron telling yogi to appoint an assistant from within the club . Now that he's bombed they might let him bring in an experienced number 2 to try and keep the fans happy .

How has he "bombed"?

What crystal ball do you use eagle...I would like one. 

It's been a poor start in terms of results and performances under Yogi but no need to panic.  RIG, making comparisons to other managers starts is all very well but there are different circumstances every time.  Perhaps we should have re-signed Baltacha due to his 13 points from 6 games!?

Many folk were unhappy with the appointment.  Fair enough.  Most folk that were unhappy decided to set aside their disagreement with the appointment to give him the benefit of the doubt.  However some of the doubters seem to be taking great satisfaction in the poor start as if to say 'we told you so'.  It's 6 games in FFS. Hard fought draws at Midden, and Partick as well as a very good performance at Hearts.  Three defeats at home, one of them narrowly defeated by Celtic when I think we deserved something and a narrow defeat to Aberdeen.  The only match I was entirely dissatisfied with was the County match.  Of course, i'm looking at it from a happy clappy style perspective.  The pessismist would point out the disastrous start against Aberdeen and say we should have beaten Midden and Partick.  However, we have drawn many times at the Midden.  Last January we lost 2-1 (or maybe 2-0) in a midweek game.  One of the worst performances of the season.  Partick beat us at home this season and should have got something from the Celtic game.  Speaking of the Midden game, Yogi had been in the door only a few days.  He did not take the team that day.  He let Shearer pick the team and Yogi sat in the stand to observe.  It wasn't a great performance but it can't be attributed to Yogi. 

Last January and February was a horrible period for ICT. The performances in most games were similar to the performance against County the other day.  Our players seem to take these bizarre dips in confidence / form.  I genuinly believe that it is not the fault of Yogi, however it is now his priority to sort it out - asap. 

I noticed that before Yogi was appointed, although we were still getting results, we were starting to play more sluggish football and not on top form.  We were excellent against Hibs in Mo's last game in the dug out. However there were games where we were poor.  The 4-0 defeat in Perth, the 2-1 defeat at home to Partick, the half of football against County that was abandoned - wasn't great to watch and was generally poor.  First half against Morton was awful for example.  The victory against St Johnstone in Inverness - great result but overall not a great performance.  Can't complain at the time but you can compare it to recent performances.  I don't think it was any worse than say the performance against Celtic or the second half against Aberdeen and Hearts.  Also, despite the horrific conditions I thought in the 2nd half the lads showed great confidence and skill when defeating Hearts.  Could have and should have been more. 

Yogi said he was hoping his appointment would be a smooth transition and he would hope that everyone would feel like it was business as usual.  If you look at the team line ups, he has kept the same team, only changing the starting XI when injuries dictate.  Raven was out injured for quite a while before coming back onto the bench against Hibs.  He has continued to be on the bench.  The back four has remained unchanged.  This was the same back 4 that beat Hibs, St Johnstone, Morton, Killie etc and got us quite a few clean sheets.  The team are set up in the same way as Butcher would have set them up.  I'm told that training is very similar to the way it was under Mo and Terry.  I'm also reliably informed that the players like him and look up to him so it's not like he has lost the dressing room. 

So what has gone wrong!?  Training is similar, the line ups are similar, and he has the dressing room.  I would have thought that business as usual would have then reflected on to the park.  I do believe cracks were showing before he arrived.  We have a small squad and some of the performances of late have looked like some of them are tired.  He's kept faith with the same back 4 that had won us many clean sheets.  Business as usual for sure, but I do believe this was a mistake.  The coaching staff know the team better than he does.  He's still learning their strengths and weakness.  I really hope that the coaching staff have convinced him / can convince him that we need Raven back at right back.  I did hope that after Ravens substitute performance against the Dons he would have seen this as well.  Butcher made mistakes.  Every manager does and I do believe that Yogi has made a mistake in not starting Raven.  Plenty of attack comes from him at RB and Shinnie is better at LB.  After the Aberdeen game I believe Raven should have found his place back into the team for the Partick / Celtic / County games.  Perhaps with his drive and build up play from the right hand side we would have scored against Partick and Celtic.  Perhaps we wouldn't have conceded against County.   All speculation on my part of course and Raven is just one player. 

Some of the players look tired (yet i'm led to believe they are not being overtrained).  Therefore, it's time for Yogi to make changes.  Starting with Motherwell on Saturday.  Raven MUST come in.  I hope the coaching staff can see that as well, as they have seen Raven play that position more than Yogi has.  Yogi is a big fan of the youth so hopefully we see Polwarth and Christie feature more regularly soon.  I stand by my very positive comments at his appointment.  I understand why certain folk have reservations, but I do believe it's too early to write him off.  Motherwell is one of the toughest places to go to, and we have a poor record there.  Not the best game for a manager that is getting flack from fans.  However I think some of the flack and comments are far too harsh. 

Yogis priority now is to stop the rot.  I don't believe he is at fault for the rot, but he will need to stop the rot as soon as possible.  This is his short term mission.  I'm sure we all hope he succeeds. 

• Agree 11

I fear Hughes is going to become the scapegoat for our demise that in truth was going to happen at some point.  We weren't going to keep our great run of form up for an entire season, especially when key players are being missed from the starting 11due to suspensions and injuries.  Even if Butcher stayed i still think we'd have ended up slipping behind Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United.  If we finish 5th this season i'd be happy.

Do you consider regressing 18months + in 5 games a success then?

We are regressing? - I despair. I don't know if you're being short sighted but last season we went on a 'slump' where we got one win in eight games.

The Ross County game was disappointing but we are certainly not regressing!

Edited by ICTRoughi

I fear Hughes is going to become the scapegoat for our demise that in truth was going to happen at some point.  We weren't going to keep our great run of form up for an entire season, especially when key players are being missed from the starting 11due to suspensions and injuries.  Even if Butcher stayed i still think we'd have ended up slipping behind Aberdeen, Motherwell and Dundee United.  If we finish 5th this season i'd be happy.

5 th would still be good for Inverness, but I think 3rd or 4th still very achievable & hoped for.

5 th would still be good for Inverness, but I think 3rd or 4th still very achievable & hoped for.

The way it's going 5th is realistic in my view.

I held back from posting after the county match.

Whether I like it or not Butcher is long gone, we have a new manager and its going to take a wee bit of time to settle.

However this great team of ours is going to have to take a wee bit of responsibility, I've seen it all before, vimcent plays and all of a sudden the team steps up a gear, talk counting sheep I struggled to count all 11 of our players on and off the ball. He gets injured and the panic sets in. I thought shinnie showed the greatest desire to get the ball in the back of the net in the last game. We don't have good players we have great players. Look amongst yourselves talk about what you like about yur team mates. Respect the ball, try and impress the ball, show it how good you can be with it. Love the ball. Be responsible for the ball and if you haven't got it shout for it.

Like it or lump it foran signing a new deal at 34 whist there was no manager in place stinks. Surely the new manager should have given it his blessing ! I've seen this before in football when a c,man interferes in team matters and it all goes pear shape .

Like it or lump it foran signing a new deal at 34 whist there was no manager in place stinks. Surely the new manager should have given it his blessing ! I've seen this before in football when a c,man interferes in team matters and it all goes pear shape .

Don't think you'll find many who agree with you on this. Foran signing a new deal has been welcomed by everyone except you as far as I can see. He's also 33 not 34!

• Agree 1

Eagle. Are you Dougal in disguize?

• Agree 1

Our previous manager abandoned us and our most influential player decides to give the fans stability and signs a three year deal to commit to the club - yeah totally stinks.

Here is an updated psychological perspective - many evidently did not take the time to read or consider my previously posted Aftermath of a Narcissist post. ICT had become Terry Butcher - he was in control of EVERYTHING. He had his co-dependents entrenched and wholly loyal to his cause. He manipulated others and bullied if necessitated. To be fair he was and is an impressive and characteristic individual and has learned a lot from the psychology that he has trained and invested in. I suspect that many of the players - especially many who feel indebted to TB - are still grieving. This was never going to be the case of a new manager coming in all around the club trying to impress and results being positive. Irrespective of who got the job they were in fer a very, very difficult initiation. I am informed that one of TB's main "beefs" was that he recognised that the squad was threadbare and wanted more funds which were never going to be available. He is adept enuff at seeing that the writing was on the wall and fecked off to Embra before he was the one that looked like a failure. The promises of Leith added to the lure.

And from my perspective - what has Hughes changed since he arrived - the answer is feckin nothing - becos that would have totally upset the remaining co-dependents and many of the blinded fans on this forum. He is still playing the Butcher system and the TB selection, even down to the subs. He has really kept a back seat as he does not want to make waves. We had INCREDIBLE L.U.C.K in avoiding injuries and suspensions and we were always going to struggle when we did. Well that may well be Yogi's saving grace. I reckon that if we make the league Cup final and a top six finish that will be a success. Lets blood some of the youngsters instead of playing the TB/Vaseline selections from Down Saff.

Hughes would not have been my first choice but I can see the logic and this forum is not helping in feeding the negativity and the anger - which again psychologically - is more about the loss of a Judas and a false hope that he had cleverly instilled rather than the arrival of a journeyman, an honest man and somebody who would die for a cause. This is ICfeckinT not Real Madrid.

• Agree 9

Far too early to make judgements on Hughes' performance although perfectly reasonable to comment on specifics such as Raven's omission from the starting XI.  All teams have good and bad spells.  Dundee United looked invincible recently with a run of 6 wins on the trot, scoring 4 or more in 5 of those games.  They have now lost 3 in a row including losses by 3 clear goals to St J and St M.  It happens.