John Hughes

Azgaz

Here is an updated psychological perspective - many evidently did not take the time to read or consider my previously posted Aftermath of a Narcissist post. ICT had become Terry Butcher - he was in control of EVERYTHING. He had his co-dependents entrenched and wholly loyal to his cause. He manipulated others and bullied if necessitated. To be fair he was and is an impressive and characteristic individual and has learned a lot from the psychology that he has trained and invested in. I suspect that many of the players - especially many who feel indebted to TB - are still grieving. This was never going to be the case of a new manager coming in all around the club trying to impress and results being positive. Irrespective of who got the job they were in fer a very, very difficult initiation. I am informed that one of TB's main "beefs" was that he recognised that the squad was threadbare and wanted more funds which were never going to be available. He is adept enuff at seeing that the writing was on the wall and fecked off to Embra before he was the one that looked like a failure. The promises of Leith added to the lure.

And from my perspective - what has Hughes changed since he arrived - the answer is feckin nothing - becos that would have totally upset the remaining co-dependents and many of the blinded fans on this forum. He is still playing the Butcher system and the TB selection, even down to the subs. He has really kept a back seat as he does not want to make waves. We had INCREDIBLE L.U.C.K in avoiding injuries and suspensions and we were always going to struggle when we did. Well that may well be Yogi's saving grace. I reckon that if we make the league Cup final and a top six finish that will be a success. Lets blood some of the youngsters instead of playing the TB/Vaseline selections from Down Saff.

Hughes would not have been my first choice but I can see the logic and this forum is not helping in feeding the negativity and the anger - which again psychologically - is more about the loss of a Judas and a false hope that he had cleverly instilled rather than the arrival of a journeyman, an honest man and somebody who would die for a cause. This is ICfeckinT not Real Madrid.

Your like an Italian tank !! 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears :-)

This guy 'Immortal' dude. I think you see yourself as ICT's Sigmund Freud. However, your bizarre posts (i've been reading them) whereby you appear as some kind of self proclaimed authoritative on psychology make for embarrassing reading.

First of, even if Butcher is a Narcissist, he doesn't appear to suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder. So, if he is just afflicted by an extra dose of narcism , this is hardly a crime, if anything it has allowed him to progress both as a manager and a footballer. If you want to consider the danger of a deluded twatbag completely convinced of his own ability to the detriment of others , then you should pay closer attention to the utter *** you lot have just employed!

Butcher won 1 game in 9 last year as CapitalCaley pointed out. The previous year he won 1 game in 10 at one point.

He was by no means a saviour and Hibs will find that out too. Hughes won't be as bad as people think, despite our run of bad results.

We are 7 points from second with a game in hand and still in all the cups. If we get knocked out of those and drop to the bottom six then bring on the negativity, but truth is we are still in a rosy position and unless it's scuppered folk need to calm the FECK down.

Hughes promoted Falkirk and kept them there for four years and got to the Scottish Cup final. He guided Hibs to Europe and fourth in the SPL, it was a hostile fan reaction that finally axed him there following bad results. We tolerated horrendous form under Butcher and look what we got as a reward in the end!

I for one would be delighted if he could replicate the results he achieved at either Falkirk or Hibs.

BELIEVE!!!

• Agree 4

Ahoy there Invershneckles! Die hard Hibby here.

Just came to let you know that Hughes is a absolute ***** appointment for you. He was a brilliant committed player for Hibs but i never wanted him as a manager and like most hibby's was glad to see him gone.

As far as i am concerned he is nothing more than a bully. He is illiterate and arrogant. Good luck heelanders! you are going to need it.

I thought Foran might have been able to steer your ship alone but whoever thought Hughes was worth a punt after Butcher & Malpass needs their head checked.

Enjoy a future full of bizarre post match statements and incoherent drivel.

Get him tae f*$^ pronto!

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Was gobsmacked at this appointment. He's failed everywhere he's been and by the sounds of things gets elocution lessons from Charlie Nicolas.

Elocution lessons required, in Inverness?

Yur choking min, ya no yercell, we are sooper speekers!

Maybe we should get the great Sir Alex or maybe Mr Lambert to use their elocution skills to help Mr Hughes as he is somewhat lacking in this department and this therefore impacts on his managerial ability, by your inference.

Edited by absent friend

Where is Trollin Nolln when you need him?

As for Brian Rice --he went to the Arabian Peninsula due to  sinusitis expecting the heat to help him with his  throat. So now pay attention, coughs.

As the member  said,  he is still in a sticky patch deeply committed to catarrh.......

Here in North America  I also suffered from this dreaded  disease and quickly went from catarrh to guitar, winning a Nosecar for me efforts.

For a start, NaughtyBob - Being from Edinburgh but having the sense and intelligence to not support either of their teams or the OF, I know plenty of Hibs fans who loved the appointment of Hughes at the time and were quite happy when things were going well. Though as soon as they hit a bad patch he became useless. This is nothing new for Hibs fans.

Collins was the messiah when they had an 11 (I think) game undefeated run at the start of the season and were touting them, genuinely, as league challengers. Eventually the bubble burst and Collins somehow turned into a useless arrogant bully who belittled his players and fell out with the board etc. The only manager that Hibs fans think was any good is Mowbray. Not even McCleish who signed legends like Sauzee and Latapy as well as bringing in stars like Zitelli who was formerly part of a very good Auxerre team. He finished 3rd but apparently he was a manager who was just a Judas who overspent and nearly bankrupt the club (note this is not the managers fault. He works to a budget set by his superiors.) Hibs fans as a whole tend to be a little over ambitious as to their clubs potential and sadly some ICT fans have left their head in the same cloud and expect resounding success now we've had a good run.

As for those who big up Butcher at Motherwell. Yes he turned it round there but people conveniently forget the only reason Motherwell weren't relegated, which would probably have killed them at the time, was because Falkirk who won the 1st division did not have a compliant stadium due to the crazy self preservation criteria of the premier league.

Before Butcher left the teams performances were starting to wane. Many agree on this. However confidence was high and there was a winning habit. However we've faced a few teams in a very short space of time and a fair whack of them (St Mirren, Aberdeen and Celtic) were either on a good run or going to be very hard to beat anyway. The short spaces between games and the difficulty of them has brought the team to a halt abruptly. Confidence was already hit when the team lost their manager as they were all working together. Hughes is very much an outside man and is not yet part of the gang. Add to the tiredness, most of this team hasn't changed all season and it's not surprising there has been a recent dip in results. Though in periods the team has played quite well. They outplayed Celtic. Did well in the 2nd half against Aberdeen and Hearts.

Also it seems expected that the team would just keep scoring and keep not conceding. It's like no one expected a dry patch, or the fact that our defence are not world class and may leak a few goals at some periods.

I'm still fairly optimistic we can have a successful season with a potential final appearance (We've had enough semi finals now, lets get over the hurdle this time) and top 6 finish. That for me would represent success. I'd prefer a European spot, just for a chance to have a go at it. However optimism now for Hughes to do anything, even if he wasn't 1st choice is being looked at with smug dismissive "rose tinted spectacle" type remarks and pessimism is therefore the only course of realism. Great drinking company you lot must be.

Or maybe we got really lucky with butcher and no matter who we chose they wouldn't live up to his recent success. He had been manager for near 5 years which in football is a very long time at 1 club. 

And as for Hartley.... look at him. he's a bloody hobo. I'm not too upset he didn't get the job. At least Hughes is more likely to stick around nowadays if approached. Young managers are 1st choice for English lower league teams. McInnes, Coyle, Davies, etc. Maybe Hughes has had his fingers burnt and would only leave for a very good offer. Or Hibs again. Hibs daft so he is.

Edited by iamthecaptain1
  • Agree 2

Dear NoughtyBob,

Initially your speeling and grammer are atrocious. Despite your embarrassment thank you for reading through my 1596 posts but you clearly do not have the required intelligent to either understand  or appreciate their content. I have made the point that Mr Butcher has strong narcissistic personality traits and have provided explanations and rationales which have clearly gone beyond your capacity to grasp. I have also applauded his positive aspects of his character and personality. On this occasion I will refrain from returning any personal abuse. I don't have to embarrass you or yer gudgie ally as you are both clearly adept at doing that on yer own.

Cant wait fer the inane response.

John MacKenzie (DClinPsy - University College, London)

I agree with virtually everything iamthecaptain says...except the idea that a slump was inevitable and the manager shouldn't be blamed.  Of course he should.  It's his job to select the tactics and personnel, along with team talks etc to make sure that doesn't happen.  Otherwise, why employ a manager.  Maybe Hughes will turn it around - we're still in a good position with a decent squad - but the buck stops with the manager.  He has to get us winning again to prove his worth, otherwise what's his salary for?

I don't think he is saying that the manager shouldn't be blamed but a slump at some point was inevitable in my opinion. All teams have them but the good teams get over them and go on a run again. That will be the real test for Hughes.

I agree Huisdean.  And if Hughes does, he should be praised.  Meanwhile, with results going against him, he has to be subject to criticism, rather than assuming he can do nothing about it.  Of course he can. That's exactly his job.

Hughes doesn't deserve to be pilloried but nor do the results deserve overlooking.  There's plenty of time to be either hero or villain come the end of the year.  But we shouldn't be blind to bad results.

• Agree 1

I predict we will be in the play off spot this year. The only way is down under Hughes. He does not have a clue - never had and never will.

It was a cheap option by the board. He has completely changed our style of football. Tippy tappy nonsense and no pressing the opponent. Ross County game was an embarrassment. Wrong appointment.

Edited by scm1976

United game next weekend crucial so Hughes may come under more pressure if we lose.

Possibly, but I think it'll come down to the manner should we lose.  If we lose 3-2 and go down fighting, I think most people would be more understanding.  If it's a 7-0 humping though, this place'll go into meltdown!

Dear NoughtyBob,

Initially your speeling and grammer are atrocious. Despite your embarrassment thank you for reading through my 1596 posts but you clearly do not have the required intelligent to either understand  or appreciate their content. I have made the point that Mr Butcher has strong narcissistic personality traits and have provided explanations and rationales which have clearly gone beyond your capacity to grasp. I have also applauded his positive aspects of his character and personality. On this occasion I will refrain from returning any personal abuse. I don't have to embarrass you or yer gudgie ally as you are both clearly adept at doing that on yer own.

Cant wait fer the inane response.

John MacKenzie (DClinPsy - University College, London)

Cringeworthy IMO - do you get on with anybody !!

Guest Mahonio

I reckon Hughes is getting slated because he wasn't fans choice which may end up with him walking away from club within a year, the same as what happened with Fenlon after league cup loss to Hearts.

Now, would Paul Hartley have come under as much pressure had he taken job and had same record as Hughes bear in mind that he would have been a popular choice amongst fans?

There's no doubt at all that the vast majority of fans would have been more patient with Hartley but simply because he would have been a much more popular appointment in the first place.

Like it or not, fair or not, JH is battling a wave of initial cynicism and there is only one way to win over these cynics. Sadly, so far, things are not moving in that direction.

Where is Trollin Nolln when you need him?

As for Brian Rice --he went to the Arabian Peninsula due to  sinusitis expecting the heat to help him with his  throat. So now pay attention, coughs.

As the member  said,  he is still in a sticky patch deeply committed to catarrh.......

Here in North America  I also suffered from this dreaded  disease and quickly went from catarrh to guitar, winning a Nosecar for me efforts.

don't mistake opinion for trolling pimple, I attended almost all of the home games last season and a fair few this - at TCS before you start. My posts are never to provoke a reaction, g back and check them. Just can't stand trolls that's all, it's very school playground and boringly obvious. Real fans end up debating with people whose only role is to provoke a reaction so they can boast to their friends about how smart they are and how dumb we are.