Media Coverage

ff
AUDIO

TEXT
VIDEO
TEAM LINEUPS
post-2-0-62312500-1388069708_thumb.png

post-2-0-62312500-1388069708_thumb.png

A reasonable result, especially given some of the other scores. It does seem as if we may have come off the boil a bit recently, but should possibly be expected.

I had hoped that the fight & battling qualities from the 2nd half vs Aberdeen may have inspired the players for today's game, but perhaps it didn't quite happen for us.

A difficult game coming up on Sunday, with another tasty game a few days later!

C'mon the Caley Jags!!

Clean sheet and a point on the road - decent result. 

Sounds like Brill had another great game, getting him tied down to a long term deal was a great move. Results went our way so we are back in contention for Europe. Looking forward to the Celtic game, you never know what kind of result you will get. 

• Agree 1

We should win our game in hand (never guaranteed of course), so 2nd is still a realistic possibility all being equal.

Losing both Draper and Foran, along with Vincent was always going to be tough.  We could really do with one for the Celtic game.  Hope Yogi's got some tactics up his sleeve.  Don't think Celtic are particularly strong in any areas, nor especially weak.  Tough one to decide upon, although I suspect Hughes will not change anything.

Terrible game of football.

Created absolutely nothing lucky to come away with a point which looked very much the game plan.

We really need a plan b if we are to keep progressing we are so predictable at times , the diagonal ball out of defence did not work at all with the only spark being when Greenhalgh came on for the last 20 mins.

Billy Mackay looked a forlorn figure at times with absolutely no support wtf.

Draper & Meekings not bad , Doran really needs to up his game, looks really low in confidence at the moment.

A bit more positivity please.

Thought we were very poor today, thought P*r*ick were more up for it and worked very hard. The lad Doolan missed a sitter of a header before ht although it would have been harsh on us.

Second half they must have missed at least 3 more sitters and we were lucky to get a point. Archibald seems to encourage them to shoot on sight with the result that they kept having to fetch new balls every time somebody blootered it out of the park.

We only showed quality in flashes, you could see the difference in the sides there, but it only lasted about 2 mins at a time.

First look at Williams and not very impressed, centre mid along with Draper who wasn't at his best either today but probably because he was doing 2 jobs.

Seen Marley a few times now and though he's got the skill and pace, not sure he's got the temperament or the heart.

Not sure about Tremarco either, fairly solid but doesn't have any idea what to do with the ball.

Would like to see Dave the Rave back with Shinzaa, Josh and Warren who as usual were superb. Doran not bad but lacks that extra spark. Wee Billy battled away as always for little reward, too many long punts for him to fish out of the sky. Keep it on the deck and we're a good side.

Felt sorry for Nicky Ross who was hooked for Greenhalgh, who in turn looked like he could have changed the game if he'd got half an hour.

Partick fans bad as ever, howling at the ref for booking Elliot for pulling back Nicky breaking away in space, while not realising Draper is allowed to use his strength to win the ball.

Only the second time ever I've been in the main stand. Great bogs (sarcasm smiley).

Edited by TheMantis
Add more havers

We didn't get started at all yesterday, which was particularly frustrating as Partick looked like they might have wilted if we'd put any sustained pressure on them - they didn't have a great deal of presence and conceded possession in midfield relatively easily. The problem was, so did we, and in the end Partick created the far better chances and were unlucky not to win. 

There's no question that we missed Foran's influence, and the decision to play Williams in his place was somewhat surprising - he's eased off the ball far too easily, isn't strong enough in the tackle and seemed to be chasing the game most of yesterday. I'd hope to see Ross in there for the Celtic game, but the fact that Ross has been the first player substituted in each of the last two games (wrongly, in my opinion, in each case) makes me wonder how important to the team Hughes believes he is. Greenhalgh did pretty well when he came on and has maybe staked a claim for a place, but I'd like to have seen him replacing either Williams, with Ross dropping back, or Doran, whose performance levels are currently way below the level they were at in the early games of the season. There's perhaps an argument for resting him for a couple of games and making him fight for his place ahead of the semi-final. I think that Doran at the top of his form is unquestionably part of our strongest team, but at the moment he's a long way short of that form.

The defence was pretty sound throughout, with with Meekings and Brill the standouts, but they were culpable in the hugely ineffective long ball strategy that we employed for most of the game - my one gripe with both Brill and Gary Warren is that they don't seem to look for a good out-ball properly but instead just hammer it up towards McKay or Doran. If we do that against Celtic then we'll just be inviting pressure onto us and we'll take a hammering. I am, I must confess, a bit worried about the Celtic game now - if we struggled to create anything against a hardworking but limited Partick side, then I can't see how we can hope to take anything against a side that is, it is now becoming clear, streets ahead of the rest of the league. Hopefully Hughes can look at yesterday's performance and set us up in a way that actually plays to our strengths on Sunday.           

• Agree 4

Can't believe Williams got a game yesterday - he was mince against Aberdeen! We need ball winners at the heart of midfield: in Foran's absence, I'd have Pepper in there (playing well for U20s in that role). Ross couldn't play in there because he's no ball winner. Got to get this sorted for next 3 games!!!

if we are looking for simply an "enforcer" type player in there what about putting Devine into the middle of the pitch to replace Foran and allow Draper to move forward a bit more?

I'm not sure that all we need is an enforcer, though. Foran at his best retains possession and opens up play pretty well, as well as providing strength. There was a noticeable lack of creativity or meaningful possession in the middle of the park yesterday and it meant that we built very few decent moves and more often than not the midfield was bypassed altogether. Williams offered neither strength nor creativity in that position, which meant that Draper, as Mantis pointed , was doing two jobs.  I'd hope that Ross, while lacking Foran's dig, would at least give us some vision in there. I'm not sure if Devine would do that.

Of course, Ross might just find himself completely outmuscled and outpassed by the Celtic midfield; there are no easy solutions for Hughes here.     

if we are looking for simply an "enforcer" type player in there what about putting Devine into the middle of the pitch to replace Foran and allow Draper to move forward a bit more?

Devine played midfield vs cownty last game last season and was totally out of his depth, Williams is a wide player and should not be played centre mid.

Trouble is we have no other decent midfielders who can get stuck in and win the ball.

I'm not sure that all we need is an enforcer, though. Foran at his best retains possession and opens up play pretty well, as well as providing strength. There was a noticeable lack of creativity or meaningful possession in the middle of the park yesterday and it meant that we built very few decent moves and more often than not the midfield was bypassed altogether. Williams offered neither strength nor creativity in that position, which meant that Draper, as Mantis pointed , was doing two jobs.  I'd hope that Ross, while lacking Foran's dig, would at least give us some vision in there. I'm not sure if Devine would do that.

Of course, Ross might just find himself completely outmuscled and outpassed by the Celtic midfield; there are no easy solutions for Hughes here.     

I think that some of the roles might need to be simplified against Celtic as we will not be able to dominate the middle of the park as much as we might normally expect to do at home AND drive forward. Foran and Draper might have found themselves on the back foot more often than usual. Having Devine in there to add a bit of steel might help break up the Celtic attacks and we have some excellent roaming full backs in Shinnie and Tremarco who can carry the ball forward to the front four instead of channelling it through the middle all the time.

One option that could give us some defensive stability in the middle and also an option to carry the ball forward could be Shinnie? He played in the middle a couple of times last season I seem to recall and he might not be a perfect fit but if we're still looking for someone who can take the ball forward after winning it then he could be a shout.

Devine played midfield vs cownty last game last season and was totally out of his depth, Williams is a wide player and should not be played centre mid.

Trouble is we have no other decent midfielders who can get stuck in and win the ball.

I'm trying to forget that game. The majority of the team was set up incorrectly that day and I wouldn't put it all down to Devine who wasn't any more out of sorts than some others that day. Trouble is I think for the Celtic match we are going to have to rely on fitting square pegs into round holes.

• Agree 1