Coverage of County game

Joe DiMaggio

That was really disappointing to watch, add to the fact that was Ross County's first win in 11 games FFS.

John Hughes needs to start getting the finger out and sort this pish out. First half vs Aberdeen and now today have been totally unacceptable performances.

The team today looked like they had been up partying all night and dragged onto the pitch. There was no fight in them and gave up on balls that were winnable very poor show! County were fighting for everything and deserved their win.

• Agree 1

Really disappointed that Hughes has not moved to change things once Foran was injured. The only format that has worked since the start of Dec was Shinnie in midfield and Raven back in. Williams is a passenger every game: we lost the midfield battle today and played too narrow. Then it was long ball stuff, which is just p!sh. So, we HAVE TO change it before Mothersmell, otherwise we're in for a real thrashing. Was willing to give Hughes a chance, but he's failed at the first challenge: effectively replacing Foran. Williams has nothing to offer and Raven does; Shinnie has to play on left: get it sorted!

What was that?! We were dire in the Partick game and just as bad if not worse today. There appeared to be no fighting spirit in the team. Lethargic, they could barely string a pass together. Sub number 2 should have been made far sooner as it was clear shortly into the second half that we were not improving.

Who was actually meant to be on the right wing?! Nobody was getting wide. It‘s been said by many on here but Raven needs to start again. He brings plenty in his attack from defence that was missing today. He MUST start against Motherwell. If Hibs win tomorrow then suddenly we are looking over our shoulder at bottom 6.

Christie impressed during his short spell on the pitch against Celtic. I would have put him on today, although Polwarth played well when he came on. I‘d like to see both of them feature more very soon.

Edited by CapitalCaley

We are missing Richie Foran :sad:  ...

It is a bit more than just missing Richie's presence though I suspect that this would paper over some of the obvious problems (as may Billy have had he taken his chances in the past two games!).

Hughes is unfortunately (and as predicted by many) leading us back to the bottom six.

His tactical flaws as know are massive and unless he appoints an assistant who can sort this out and more importantly stand up to him I think the Board will see the costly error in their judgement (to the tune of £70k per league place).

Again he seems to not be able to see the basics and we were crying out for a right footed player at right back.

When we switch to a 4-4-2 (and setting aside the fact that Tobi is not good enough), you cannot have both your central midfielders unable to pass. With Ross removed from the advanced midfield we were left huffing and puffing and it was easy for County to defend as they could keep players back and hit on the break whilst knowing we did not have the means to move the  ball quickly into spaces or pass through them.

An odd situation comes about with the red card in the we take Polworth on whi can pass and suddenly we are stretching County width wise and dropping a pin point pass for the goal.

I'm sure Yogi will tell us that the second was not his fault in encouraging players to pass sideways (and he does love his sideways passing) when our central defense were forward expecting a ball to be played into the box!

Oh well, at least at this rate I'll save money on a Season Ticket next year. But 10 days ago I was saying to a half dozen who have already decided that they will give ICT under Hughes a miss next year that they need to give him a chance, My bad!

Totally flat performance yet again. Hughes standing on the sides hand in pockets waiting and hoping for a spark but yet again nothing.

This is unacceptable he needs to change things ,plainly obvious one up front is not working and hasnt for a while.

Fffs please change it now before the season becomes a complete disaster

One of the most lifeless and unspirited performances.  I left the stadium disgusted and embarrassed.  What they heck was Hughes thinking?!  Shinnie on the right ran it's course ages ago.  Still no Raven.  Danny Williams has done nothing since he came into the team and was utter trash yet again.  Toby is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.  Doran has never been good on the left ever FACT.  Is it just a coincide that his slump in form coincides with Butcher leaving?  He doesn't look like a man who wants to be here anymore.

No fight, no passion, no spirit, no hope.  Hughes tactically makes Terry Butcher look like Jose Mourinho.  Wrong team selection, wrong tactics, and the wrong choice as manager, on the recent showings.  

Things need to change and change soon.  Hughes's job is not untouchable.

• Agree 3

3 narrow defeats in a row where we deserved to take something out of the game. What a bummer. We dominated County for 90 minutes, even with 10 men, and they got lucky enough to score 2 goals with their only 2 shots on target.

What frustrates me is our tendency to make hard work for ourselves. We're in the habit of starting sluggishly, conceding soft early goals, chasing for the rest of the game - and just falling short. If we were to START the games with the same speed, urgency, impetus and attacking drive that we finished today with (and the second half of the Aberdeen game) we would be winning these games comfortably. 

We've lost our sharpness. The warning signs started during the Morton game and the rot has set in. Our passing is slack, our marking is slack, our decision making is poor, we don't press opponents when we lose possession anymore, and we don't win so many second balls. Perhaps all the praise and adulation has gone to the players heads, or maybe they've taken the foot off the gas without the Butcher and Malpas fear factor.

County are dire and the only thing that can save them from relegation this year is Uncle Roy's chequebook.

For our next fixture, Raven needs to come back in. Shinnie needs to switch to left back. Doran needs to switch to the right wing.

Edited by AlexJones

I have to post a bit of sympathy fer Yogi as this still feels and looks like a team in the Butcher mould and probably selected mainly by the old school. We have been hitting above our weight fer a few games which was probably noted by the Narcissist. To be fair to Yogi he is only getting to know the players.

Having said that there must be a few things that are feckin obvious - and all started by Butcher. Shinnie is either a left back or a midfielder. Tremarco is a great squad player but he has not much of a clue going forward. County were in a line of teams this season who made no attempt to cover him and let him play free cos they knew he would not cause any damage. Shinnie is prone to making mistakes on his right foot or unable to deliver offensively. Raven and Shinnie is a no brainer and our central defenders would probably feckin agree.

Williams is a feckin wide player not a midfielder - Draper is a fine holding midfielder but not a feckin playmaker - Toby is not up to the SPL - McKay must be so feckin fed up - Where the feck is Doran supposed to be playing and the same fer Nick Ross.

Let's forget about Europe and blood Christie and Polworth. Pepper is another to give an opportunity to. The negativity on here is as bad as it ever been. We have a great chance of a cup final appearance this year.

My criticism of Hughes is that he has not been more of a figure on the touch line giving peeple feckin laldy - I worry that he is being shackled - I would be shaking things up and aiming fer the cups.

I actually felt that we were unlucky not to get four points over New Year. Sorry but Butcher has fecked us up by his favouritism and the only way forward is a cull !,

• Agree 4

Ok guys. I'm fed up with the megalomania and negativity of some posters here. I suggest they return to the Old Filth or try to get a season ticket at Barcelona or Bayern Munich. Or donate their millions of pounds to lure Mourinho or Guardiola to Inverness.

That said, you won't read a lot from me for some time. I will still support and follow the team, but not on this forum. Hugh.

Very disappointed with today's performance as a few have mentioned, lethargy seems to have crept in these last few weeks.

So unreal how we are missing Richie Foran also bring Raven back to RB Shinnie to LB. I think we need some creativity so give Polworth & Christie a go. Williams & Toby just don't have it im afraid.

What a joke today was. Williams has to be dropped from the centre mid he cant play there to save himself maybe try him out on the wing. Yogi standing at the side watching and doing nothing to help. He needs to get his finger out and make changes quick. We should always have a plan B if plan A fails and not just watch players being played out of there positions. Why he put toby on i dont know he is not suited for the SPL i'm afriad. When you have players like ben and christie on the bench game changers they should be the first players you look at on the bench.

I'm fearing Motherwell on saturday

Was Draper MOTM or was it meant to be Warren? Since they said Inverness number 5 Ross Draper

Think I agree with posters above as Raven back in at right back, Shinnie back over to left

Midfield too lightweight as Doran, Ross, Williams nor Watkins can tackle and win the ball back

Now with Draper out, likely Warren to be out, we will be very lightweight against a fast moving Motherwell

Need Foran and Vincent back in the team so decision is whether to bring in someone for short term cover or run with what we have

Do we need another centre as Tobi does not look to have it, even although his playing time has been limited, think todays run showed his lack of ability to hold up the ball

Passing today was lacking as in previous games too

Is Hughes the right manager, time will tell but on these performances doesnt' look like it

Need an assistant in too, Shearer standing on touchline does not give me any hope, cardboard cutout I think as shows he doesn't want to be there or is this another cost cutting exercise by the board?

Attendance today very poor, no gumption shown by board to try and get fans to the game

I have said before get a stand at Tesco in retail park and get kids in for a pound with dad paying proper price and get the seats filled.

• Agree 1

We were sh1t. We were really really sh1t today end of. But what hurts is county were horrific! They truly are the worst side i've seen in a long time. They won with one shot on target. Boyd was drilling it back into the box, hit off Tremarco, went in, fluke. Sure they won today, good for them but they are pesh and will go down if they carry on playing like that.

However as much as I really want to give Yogi time and support, he is making it difficult for me. Why is shinnie at right back when Raven is fit? Why the feck is Williams in the team full stop. Losing Marley after losing two goals was crap, hope its not serious but in all honesty he doesnt seem very strong. There was no fight today. Did they know we were playing our rivals?

Adams truly is a horrible kant though. trying to say Williams two footed someone and get red carded was pathetic. And the usual lot celebrating infront of us, why? No class or sportmanship what so ever. Horrible club

Totally flat performance yet again. Hughes standing on the sides hand in pockets waiting and hoping for a spark but yet again nothing.

This is unacceptable he needs to change things ,plainly obvious one up front is not working and hasnt for a while.

Fffs please change it now before the season becomes a complete disaster

Sounds like a terrible day at the office, but have to agree that to attempt to go a whole season with just the 'wee' man upfront, is not going to work every match (the opposition seems to have largely sussed us out), and with Foran out, there doesn't seem any other threat...last year we had Andrew Shinnie, who could open up quite a few chances on his own and set Billy up, he's gone and now  Mckay really does need a decent target man to play off. However a few injuries are also now showing what a thin squad we have. I suspect with average crowds of less than 4000, the board maybe tempted to cash in on Mckay, in order to strengthen the squad, but then we'd need to find two strikers in the 'window'. I guess alot depends on how long Watkins, Foran and Vincent are out for.

• Agree 1

The time to bring on polworth and christie is now.

Doran and Ross have not perfomed for weeks now , but to be fair to Nick playing in the supporting role to Mckay has not been successfull move for him.

We are so one dimensional it is painful,

I eluded to this on the Celtic thread including Draper in my comments.

Changes now obviously needed now anyway. Our defence should be okay with Raven-Meekings- Shinnie-Tremarco for Motherwell.

4 or 5 places in midfield tho - these places up for grabs

3 narrow defeats in a row where we deserved to take something out of the game. What a bummer. We dominated County for 90 minutes, even with 10 men, and they got lucky enough to score 2 goals with their only 2 shots on target.

What frustrates me is our tendency to make hard work for ourselves. We're in the habit of starting sluggishly, conceding soft early goals, chasing for the rest of the game - and just falling short. If we were to START the games with the same speed, urgency, impetus and attacking drive that we finished today with (and the second half of the Aberdeen game) we would be winning these games comfortably. 

We've lost our sharpness. The warning signs started during the Morton game and the rot has set in. Our passing is slack, our marking is slack, our decision making is poor, we don't press opponents when we lose possession anymore, and we don't win so many second balls. Perhaps all the praise and adulation has gone to the players heads, or maybe they've taken the foot off the gas without the Butcher and Malpas fear factor.

County are dire and the only thing that can save them from relegation this year is Uncle Roy's chequebook.

For our next fixture, Raven needs to come back in. Shinnie needs to switch to left back. Doran needs to switch to the right wing.

Did you apply for the job :-)

Figured it out - business reasons. Cownty are so dire that even 11th place will not save them so we helped out uncle Roy's boys to ensure more derbies.

The rest of my thoughts on the game disappeared and I'm fecked if I'm typing it all again on an iPhone.

You can't blame Butcher for the slump, we were doing ok without a manager… it takes someone 'special' to destroy a team in under 2 weeks. Taxi for Yogi! How did the board get sucked in by this clown?

Keep telling you yogi was Cameron's cheap option -no compo to pay plus Paul Hartley wanted to bring in an experienced number 2 -well andy Cameron ! Sorry ! Kenny Cameron you are reaping what you've sown IMO Edited by Guest