Attendance reality check.

Westhill1

Just come back to the forum after a wee break,(about two years) just thought it was time to provide some perspective on the attendance situation at the home matches. Inverness according to the 2011 census has a population of some 61,000 perhaps now in 2014 this has grown to around 63,000 probably just in the Top 10 of largest towns / cities in Scotland (albeit one of the fastest growing). Stats lesson over!  It has to be said that ICT pull in fans from beyond the hinterland but this is counter balanced by the fact that many folk in Inverness support one of four clubs ICT, Celtic, Rangers and Ross County, add Clach and its a five way split this I believe is fairly unique in Scotland and supports my theory that ICT are still doing well to have a hard core of around 3000+ home attending supporters.  

Maybe just maybe this 3000 average figure could rise to 4000ish but that's up to the club to make the match day experience just that bit more attractive for the punters (answers in a postcard?). Basically what I'm trying to say is that we will never compete with the City Teams in terms of attendance's so let's not get too hung up about the current  crowds we have a lot of competition out their and if say all the county supporters living in Inverness saw the light then we would attract another 1000+but that's never going to happen is it? I guess we might just have to wait another 30 odd years for Inverness to have a 100,000+ population to attract 7000+ attendance's.

• Agree 1

While there is a hatred of ICT regarding how it was formed we will always experience **** poor crowds in Inverness

Stadium relocation might help in the short term but if the attitude of let's get on with what we've got continues that sadly won't change either

Dougal

Stadium relocation would be huge bucks for perhaps not that much difference, but some small things within the stadium would help. In a premier league ground you really shouldn't require welly boots to go to the toilet or queue for a pie - the state of the area behind the West Terrace is an embarrassment and it's getting steadily worse. Surely it's not beyond the means of the club to at least put some chips down on the non-concrete bits to improve the surface at least somewhat as a short term fix. 

While there is a hatred of ICT regarding how it was formed we will always experience **** poor crowds in Inverness

Stadium relocation might help in the short term but if the attitude of let's get on with what we've got continues that sadly won't change either

Dougal

:laugh:

The state of the stadium isn't great and I can't see how anyone can argue otherwise. If there is any rain it becomes a mess, especially at the Main stand corners and the West stand, which with it's collection of portacabins acting as kiosks and toilets just looks and feels messy. That said, until a sugar daddy or euromillions winner wants to develop the ground properly or build something new, what's the alernative? I seem to remember the North and South stands having a 10 year life (correct me if I'm wrong) when they were put up in the winter of 2004, which would indicate something may need to happen pretty soon with them!

As far as attendances go, they are what they are and we're pretty average and in line with the whole population % thing and I can't see that improving much without Inverness doubling in population again.

I'm not sure why thousands of fans from two old rubbish clubs are still bitter they became a good team. Maybe all these fans could get together and create two new clubs, call them the same as old and stick them in the juniors for them to support, they definitely have the fan base for it.

From the outside looking in ------- You may metaphorically have 5 teams for football fans of Inverness to follow but what you don't have is a mass exodus  - tens of buses - leaving the city every Saturday, so you still have 60 odd thousand potential customers out there. So, what if anything, are the Club doing to attract them ? 

Our hardcore support isn't much more than your own. However, there's probably more folk leave Motherwell to watch the Ugly sisters than go to FP, and that from a town of less than 30,000 souls is a very bad statistic. 

You may be interested to know that Inverness is the most unpopular away game --- according to a recent survey of Motherwell fans, and it's not the long journey that accounts for this. The location of the stadium in relation to bars, the Away stand, the toilets/pie stalls provision, getting to the ground, the muck in and around, and top of the Dislike List ....... heavy handed OB/Stewards. 

I see as the major elements for you to address:- (1.) Out of town Stadiums. May work in the States, but in this case you've disenfranchised your core and potential support, and made attendance an unattractive proposition for away fans. I live apprx 40miles away and I hate going to Longman. If I drive, i cannae get parked. If I take the train its a whoor of a walk out and back. There is effall to do in and around the stadium unless you are a Suit.

(2.) Your identity. Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC. Ditch the drivvel and call yourselves Inverness United, and change your Caley dominated with a hint of Thistle appearance. Way too many possible/potential fans alienated by this. You're neither, time to move on and ditch the bitterness. 

(3.) Is one all Scottish Clubs should do something about. In October, I followed Edinburgh to Perpignan for their Heineken Cup tie. The Stade Amei Gerale wasn't overly big or palatial - 10,000 covered plastic bucket seats - but we arrived over 2hrs before kick-off, to enjoy a meal in one of the many stadium restaurants located under the main stand. I reckon there were at least 4,000 fans milling in and around the stadium 2hrs before kick-off. There were a selection of indoor/outdoor bars, eateries, barbeques to choose from. There were kids, and family entertainment zones, all doing a roaring trade. There was a pipe band, a brass band, and a ska band entertaining people on the concrete concourses. All these revenue streams bringing profit to the Club ...... and attracting fans with a sense of belonging.

All in all, it was a far better day out than going to any Scottish football match. 

Shoot away  :cheer01:

Edited by GaidhealtachdDosser
  • Agree 1

From the outside looking in ------- You may metaphorically have 5 teams for football fans of Inverness to follow but what you don't have is a mass exodus - tens of buses - leaving the city every Saturday, so you still have 60 odd thousand potential customers out there. So, what if anything, are the Club doing to attract them ?

Our hardcore support isn't much more than your own. However, there's probably more folk leave Motherwell to watch the Ugly sisters than go to FP, and that from a town of less than 30,000 souls is a very bad statistic.

You may be interested to know that Inverness is the most unpopular away game --- according to a recent survey of Motherwell fans, and it's not the long journey that accounts for this. The location of the stadium in relation to bars, the Away stand, the toilets/pie stalls provision, getting to the ground, the muck in and around, and top of the Dislike List ....... heavy handed OB/Stewards.

I see as the major elements for you to address:- (1.) Out of town Stadiums. May work in the States, but in this case you've disenfranchised your core and potential support, and made attendance an unattractive proposition for away fans. I live apprx 40miles away and I hate going to Longman. If I drive, i cannae get parked. If I take the train its a whoor of a walk out and back. There is effall to do in and around the stadium unless you are a Suit.

(2.) Your identity. Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC. Ditch the drivvel and call yourselves Inverness United, and change your Caley dominated with a hint of Thistle appearance. Way too many possible/potential fans alienated by this. You're neither, time to move on and ditch the bitterness.

(3.) Is one all Scottish Clubs should do something about. In October, I followed Edinburgh to Perpignan for their Heineken Cup tie. The Stade Amei Gerale wasn't overly big or palatial - 10,000 covered plastic bucket seats - but we arrived over 2hrs before kick-off, to enjoy a meal in one of the many stadium restaurants located under the main stand. I reckon there were at least 4,000 fans milling in and around the stadium 2hrs before kick-off. There were a selection of indoor/outdoor bars, eateries, barbeques to choose from. There were kids, and family entertainment zones, all doing a roaring trade. There was a pipe band, a brass band, and a ska band entertaining people on the concrete concourses. All these revenue streams bringing profit to the Club ...... and attracting fans with a sense of belonging.

All in all, it was a far better day out than going to any Scottish football match.

Shoot away :cheer01:

From the inside looking out, I agree that Inverness United would serve us better moving forward. History is great, but the future is more important.

No. 2. I think if Clach had been involved in the creation of the club, it's likely that 'Inverness City' or 'Inverness United' would have been the chosen moniker.

Inverness City now exist as a Junior outfit. Inverness United is often used for youth teams from the city when involved in youth tournaments like the Aberdeen football festival or indeed abroad. I think Charlie Christie's been involved with the latter.

I can't remember, now, how the name was chosen. I think it was likely a compromise between the two clubs involved in the merger.

Inverness was still officially (and considered by outsiders) a town back in 1994.

I don't think a name-change is ever likely. We've established ourselves on the ICT name and changing it would make us look very unsure of our identity and fuel the fire of the

central belters who see us as some sort of artificial franchise.

Although this should be confined to the hackneyed 'merge' thread, I can't help but feel vexed that the Highlands were ignored so long. It resulted in us 'having' to merge to have any recognition in Scottish football.

The recent (20 years) change in attitude has resulted in North clubs finally being accepted into Scottish football's National leagues. The impetus has continued with the introduction of a pyramid system that allows teams like Clach, for example, or Huntly, Cove, Brora et al. into the formerly exclusive system.

It's a shame that the previously closed-minds of the blazers running the Scottish League didn't sooner  implement the fairer system of cream-rising-to-the-top on merit.

Who knows, all 3 Inverness clubs could have been in the now SPFL eventually! I would have loved to witness Inverness Thistle, (yes, my former club of choice) competing in the SPFL, even against 'the likes' of Montrose.

But, I doubt either Thistle or Caley, on their own,  would have achieved the level we currently enjoy!

• Agree 2

I fail to see what good changing our name would do? Can't see how this would have ant effect on attendances other than alienating loyal fans who do turn up?

Would you stop going because of a name change ?  I doubt it. Plenty did stop going because of the MERGER, and the identity crisis many - like yourself - hold onto keeps those wounds well and truly open.  I had a colleague, a Thistle fan of over 30yrs, "I aint supporting a team with the word Caledonian in it", he said, and who to this day watches Clach instead.

Want more people thru the gates imho you're going to have to eliminate the barriers that restrict that desire, and your identity is one big barrier.

Many years ago, John Boyle proposed a merger between Motherwell, Accies and Airdrie. Had he called it MotherwellOniansAcademical and played in claret/amber/red/white no one would have entertained it. Had he called it Buckfast Utd and played in Blue n Yellow for example ...... it just may have stood a chance. 

• Agree 1

Inverness United, along with Inverness FC, City etc. have all been explored (and in one case voted on 'City' in 2000, as was a suggestion in 1993/94 of 'Inverness Caledonian FC') at different times, but have always either been already in use/used, or voted down.  The City name has also since been taken.  To be honest, I'd be horrified if the name was to be changed.  I think our name's great and unique and I certainly wouldn't want to go to some generic City, United, Rovers type of thing.  Anyone petty enough not to come because they don't like the fact that former team X is involved, are not worthy of a huge re-branding, particularly as these people may well longer be with us in the next decade or so.

One thing I would like to see more of though, is a more equal representation of Caley and Thistle, instead of this Caley and a little bit of Thistle thing that we seem to have now.  This is also one of the reasons I've always supported a change to a constant red and blue striped jersey (and also because I think it looks cool!).  I would also like to see some nod to the two 'forgotten teams' in ICT's DNA, Crown FC and Inverness Union FC, who I'm sure some people on here won't even know existed, as well as possibly a nod to Inverness Citadel, who's part of town we play in.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

I fail to see what good changing our name would do? Can't see how this would have ant effect on attendances other than alienating loyal fans who do turn up?

Would you stop going because of a name change ?  I doubt it. Plenty did stop going because of the MERGER, and the identity crisis many - like yourself - hold onto keeps those wounds well and truly open.  I had a colleague, a Thistle fan of over 30yrs, "I aint supporting a team with the word Caledonian in it", he said, and who to this day watches Clach instead.

Want more people thru the gates imho you're going to have to eliminate the barriers that restrict that desire, and your identity is one big barrier.

Many years ago, John Boyle proposed a merger between Motherwell, Accies and Airdrie. Had he called it MotherwellOniansAcademical and played in claret/amber/red/white no one would have entertained it. Had he called it Buckfast Utd and played in Blue n Yellow for example ...... it just may have stood a chance. 

How do you know 'plenty did stop going because of the merger' ?  By the end of our Highland League days the combined hard core of Thistle and Caley fans was circa 500 and while a number of those shunned the merged club, the vast majority followed ICT.

Whatever the reason for our somewhat disappointing crowds it's not the name which has a unique stamp compared to the ubiquitous City or United and reflects over 250 years of combined heritage nor is it the fact that a handful of bitter and vocal anti merger brigade stay away and shout loudly about doing so.

For goodness sake that was two decades ago and the initial 150 or so refuseniks are outnumbered ten to one by fans who if the think of Kingsmills or Telford Street at all, think of houses or a retail park,

• Agree 7

Inverness Citadel still exist in the amateur leagues. Although not a continuation of the original club. Think, a bit like Rangers now. Same name, completely and utterly different identity!

As you say, it's just the name they've taken.  For one, they play in light blue I believe, while the real Citadel played in maroon.

• Agree 1

It's not the name that's the issue: only a handful really still point to this as the core reason for not going. I think it is more deep-rooted in our population dynamics. Yes, Inverness is growing rapidly, but those coming into the city (and I am one) will no doubt already "support" another club (whether the ugly sisters or any other club from their place of origin. Yes, a few might simply want to watch live football and will go to the big games, but it takes a lot to actually transfer allegiance, particularly within the same country. Would an Aberdeen or Motherwell fan who settled in Inverness really buy a season ticket for ICT? I was fortunate not to have a previous allegiance to another Scottish team and therefore have adopted ICT as my club....and my family have followed suit, but not one of my work colleagues recruited from all over the place) have done the same. Why? Because they already support Liverpool, Man U,Cardiff, Aberdeen, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, Queen of the South, Dross County etc. Growth of the city is not the answer - get at the children! More of the community stuff in schools might help convince Ma & Pa to get wee Jimmy a season ticket (which means an adult one too). This would cost nothing. I agree that upgrading the stadium and the match experience with restaurants etc would be fantastic (and groundbreaking) but the cash is not there.

I pointed out the dynamics on population on another thread and divided it all up and I think quite well pointed out that the reason we only get 3000 hardcore is that is all that's currently available. Even if every single person in Inverness went to watch football games (which they don't) After taking Rangers, Celtic, County and even Aberdeen into the equation as well as adding all the small clubs from surrounding areas we'd probably have a maximum potential of around 10000 fans. MAX.

As for name changes, nah, not entertaining that at all Inverness Caledonian Thistle is one of the most unique names in football and one of the most patriotic in some respects. (along with Albion Rovers). It is who we are.

As for the stadium facilities and condition in and around the ground. Yes this is a major issue and surely there are some things that could be fixed at relatively affordable cost.

It's not the name that's the issue: only a handful really still point to this as the core reason for not going. I think it is more deep-rooted in our population dynamics. Yes, Inverness is growing rapidly, but those coming into the city (and I am one) will no doubt already "support" another club (whether the ugly sisters or any other club from their place of origin. Yes, a few might simply want to watch live football and will go to the big games, but it takes a lot to actually transfer allegiance, particularly within the same country. Would an Aberdeen or Motherwell fan who settled in Inverness really buy a season ticket for ICT? I was fortunate not to have a previous allegiance to another Scottish team and therefore have adopted ICT as my club....and my family have followed suit, but not one of my work colleagues recruited from all over the place) have done the same. Why? Because they already support Liverpool, Man U,Cardiff, Aberdeen, Raith Rovers, St Mirren, Queen of the South, Dross County etc. Growth of the city is not the answer - get at the children! More of the community stuff in schools might help convince Ma & Pa to get wee Jimmy a season ticket (which means an adult one too). This would cost nothing. I agree that upgrading the stadium and the match experience with restaurants etc would be fantastic (and groundbreaking) but the cash is not there.

I agree partially with you about people who already have allegiances with other clubs when moving to Inverness. People who have supported Scottish clubs i can understand but maybe people with English teams may be able to embrace Scottish football and more importantly Caley Thistle. I am testament to that. I was born in England and was brought up supporting Man Utd like my dad did. When we moved to Caithness me and my Dad went to watch Inverness play ayr united at TCS when we were still a first division team in front of just over a 1,000 fans. We ended going to a few random games which included a great day out at Hampden for the Scottish cup semi with Dunfermline before watching from the Bridge the most momentous day in the clubs history. I missed the first season in the SPL due to being at pittordrie but i got my season ticket and never looked back for the next six years. My sister joined me we travelled every second saturday from Caithness to see a team we had fallen in love with lose the majority at home but we still kept going back. I even continued when i was based in stirling during my University days. I am not Ivernesian or even scottish but i will aways remain a Caley Jag even if i cant get to games regular atm. We can still progress, we havent even had our 20th anniversary yet while most clubs are over 100 years old. But it can happen people from outside can come inside and fall in love with everything the highlands have to offer including the top Highland football side. It wont go up by huge amounts in the short term but we may see things improve as time passes. It is up to us supporters now to get behind the team and cheer on a team that is unique but magical aswell MON THE CALEY JAGS

• Agree 4

From the outside looking in ------- You may metaphorically have 5 teams for football fans of Inverness to follow but what you don't have is a mass exodus  - tens of buses - leaving the city every Saturday, so you still have 60 odd thousand potential customers out there. So, what if anything, are the Club doing to attract them ? 

Shoot away  :cheer01:

Superb IMO

How do you know 'plenty did stop going because of the merger' ?  By the end of our Highland League days the combined hard core of Thistle and Caley fans was circa 500 and while a number of those shunned the merged club, the vast majority followed ICT.

Whatever the reason for our somewhat disappointing crowds it's not the name which has a unique stamp compared to the ubiquitous City or United and reflects over 250 years of combined heritage nor is it the fact that a handful of bitter and vocal anti merger brigade stay away and shout loudly about doing so.

For goodness sake that was two decades ago and the initial 150 or so refuseniks are outnumbered ten to one by fans who if the think of Kingsmills or Telford Street at all, think of houses or a retail park,

The issue is perhaps not so much the comparative numbers, but the types of fans who supported the old clubs and those who follow the new club. 

I come from a family with strong footballing links, both in playing and supporting, and for all three clubs, but mostly Caley. Of all the males in that family, only one has continued to support the new club, and many are hostile to it. 

Organizing a reunion with old friends in the summer, it also strikes me that all of them followed Caley as teenagers, but none now goes to watch the new club.

People talk about the 150 'refuseniks,' but there were many hundreds more who went along to the odd game but who now do not follow the new club at all.

The club has done relatively well to attract new fans, those who did not go to games before or who are new to the town, but it has lost whole generations of hardcore Invernessian football people.

• Agree 1

Ginger Jaggy --outstanding post. Totally positive and FORWARD THINKING. You are my kind of fan. I admire your dedication the lovely game of footie.

If you like watching a game of football then you will enjoy watching womens' teams or kids playing their little hearts oit.

When I was transferred to Leven (Fife) by my employer after I had returned from my 2 years  in the RAF, I wanted to see a game of football and then starting walking up a hill for 20 minutes at least every other week from Leven to Methil to watch East Fife. Then I continued to watch them although perhaps the games were not quite of the  fantastic standard we expect from a more senior level. After that I was transferred to Edinburgh and followed the Hibs for 6 years religiously for all that time. Why the Hibs? Because it was only a 15-18 minute walk from where I stayed in East Restalrig Terrace and the Hearts were situated at the other end of the city.

It was just to ensure that I maintained my interest in football and saw live games......because..........

It's all about whether you love the game or not and whether you area a fanatical supporter of just one club  or whether you are a true fan of football or just want to be attached to the glory of some teams.  

After that you become attached to the club, which, after all, is merely an extension emotionally of the experiences that you will naturally encounter in your  life's progress anyway. For me, the game embraces all kinds of emotions  and you can learn from the reactions of the individual players and fans as to how they handle the adversity and challenges involved and weigh them in the balance in comparison to your own reactions  to your life's situations.

I agree partially with you about people who already have allegiances with other clubs when moving to Inverness. People who have supported Scottish clubs i can understand but maybe people with English teams may be able to embrace Scottish football and more importantly Caley Thistle. I am testament to that. I was born in England and was brought up supporting Man Utd like my dad did. When we moved to Caithness me and my Dad went to watch Inverness play ayr united at TCS when we were still a first division team in front of just over a 1,000 fans. We ended going to a few random games which included a great day out at Hampden for the Scottish cup semi with Dunfermline before watching from the Bridge the most momentous day in the clubs history. I missed the first season in the SPL due to being at pittordrie but i got my season ticket and never looked back for the next six years. My sister joined me we travelled every second saturday from Caithness to see a team we had fallen in love with lose the majority at home but we still kept going back. I even continued when i was based in stirling during my University days. I am not Ivernesian or even scottish but i will aways remain a Caley Jag even if i cant get to games regular atm. We can still progress, we havent even had our 20th anniversary yet while most clubs are over 100 years old. But it can happen people from outside can come inside and fall in love with everything the highlands have to offer including the top Highland football side. It wont go up by huge amounts in the short term but we may see things improve as time passes. It is up to us supporters now to get behind the team and cheer on a team that is unique but magical aswell MON THE CALEY JAGS

As a United fan I guess you'll be getting used to your team losing at home then  :wink: 

Sorry low blow.

You're dead right though. People are quick to forget that ICT aren't even 20 years a team and how far we've come in such a short space of time.

As a United fan I guess you'll be getting used to your team losing at home then  :wink: 

Sorry low blow.

You're dead right though. People are quick to forget that ICT aren't even 20 years a team and how far we've come in such a short space of time.

Haha your right i am atm.I have been to 4 games at Old Trafford this season seen 2 wins and 2 defeats but the common denominator is awful football. The two games i did see us win we were awful. But it is transition and hope Moyes does find a way to improve the situation as it was never going to be easy to take off straight after the most successful manager in English football history i will give him time.

It is interesting though that in all my years being a season ticket holder the atmosphere at homes games were awful with different factors contributing. But it is no different at the biggest club stadium in the UK. Old Trafford's atmosphere for some time has been awful with now the club piloting a singing section to improve things. Bigger stadium and club but same issues as us when trying to generate an atmosphere.