Greg Tansey

fraser

If its true...got no reason to doubt you then Ive got mixed feelings.

He never amounted to much after all the hype about him and he couldnt wait to clear off but he did really well to begin with at Stevenage and could offer us something a bit different in the middle of the park...not fan of going back though.

He seems to be a regular starter at Stevenage and got some goals for them but would he be a regular starter here? I don't think so.

I would welcome this move if it is was a months loan due to suspension of Ross Draper and injury till the semi final for Richie Foran but when they are both back Greg would be sitting on the bench most of the time and that's just wasting money that we don't need to. I think we need to focus on back up for Billy Mckay more than anything.

If this is true he is clearly coming in as cover for Foran and Draper. I suspect that Hughes wants better options to cover any future absence in the centre of midfield given what he has had to try and work with to date. Tansey will at least offer a relatively experienced option if Draper or Foran are out and is more naturalised in that position than say Danny Williams.

Edited by RiG

If true then I'm nonplussed. He'll just be cover for Draper and Foran and do an reasonable job in there. Won't be a stand out I suspect but effective enough.

If true then I'm plussed. He'll be cover for Draper and Foran and do a reasonable job in there.

No source supplied, so it can be treated as hearsay at the moment. He's a regular starter in the Stevenage side so I would find it very strange if this were true. Besides, Stevenage have an FA Cup tie against high-flying Everton coming-up in a fortnight. As an Everton fan, he surely wouldn't swap that opportunity to instead come up here again when he was so keen to leave before?

He wasn't rubbish when he played for us before.  He was clearly talented but didn't produce on a regular enough basis.  He was excellent from dead balls as well.  I think he's a bit better on the ball than Draper and Foran and would possibly offer us something different in there.  He's also more experienced than when he came, has played at a higher level and will know what to expect from the SPL.

One interesting aside about this is Yogi signing someone who was brought in by the Butcher-Marsala dream team scouting ticket.  I was told before the Hearts game that the tips for most of the guys we have brought in from England actually came from an agent and that Marsala's role was to scout them.  You have to assume that this is the route that Tansey came from first time round and if we bring him in it suggests that we are still using that avenue for recruitment, which is a positive.

• Agree 1

You never know what might develop. A player swans off in a dreamlike state to wonderland down south and it doesn't work out.

He returns somewhat chastened realising that all that glitters is not gold and decides to work harder back up here. Things go well and he turns into another successful import.? 

I for one would be pleased if he returned.  I felt he was under-rated when he was here because he started slowly and I think had already been written off by many as just an average player at best before he began to develop some decent form.  He has good vision and IMHO is a better player than Nick Ross and would provide more incisive linkage with Doran and Mckay.  He also scores more than Nick and is probably better at free kicks than anybody we have at the moment.

• Agree 1

Worth getting him back for free kicks alone! I've never known any team to be so weak at direct free kicks from around the box: I don't even get excited when we get an award in that position at the moment....all reverse psychology, of course: Shinnie will smash one in today now!

Tansey could be good cover for our absent holding midfielders, though

Seems odd that Tansey, after 22 starts this season, would be put out on loan but I suppose thats football. Maybe a better option could be the lad James Dunne who's fallen out of favour and has been transfer listed. Apparantly he's an excellent playmaker as an attacking mid.