Greg Tansey

fraser

Absolutely dreadful signing. Seriously worried if this is the direction hughes is going. What did he do in the season he was here? What exactly does he offer us? He is a player that thinks he is something he is not. Considers himself to be some sort of beckham character with his terrible free kicks. Then finally after a whole season trying(and after basically deciding to leave us) scores a free kick on the last day of the season. The whole deal stinks of no getting a regular game down in england, we know he will come and play up north, lets just get him in to boost the squad. Shocking decision.I hope he proves me wrong bt i doubt it.

Must have liked Inverness for some good reason. Maybe the grass is greener over the fence for him south of the border. And that is a big incentive to put some real effort into his play and stay here for  the longer term.

Frankly I don't remember too much about him but I remember having the overriding feeling that it was a loss to the team.

Let's see what develops.

Another big day for Scarlet Pimpernel tomorrow....another Setanta viewing of the game in full. Not live, but available later in the day.Wow!

I feel as if I have been given a late Christmas gift for being good ,like. :crazy:

Just had a look at the (Stevenage) Borochat forum.  There is a mixture of views on his departure, as there was when he left us, but most seem glad to see the back of him. Some are abosultely delighted in fact. Their main critcism of him is lack of workrate.

Was that no the free kick i was on about? It only took him all season!!

Apologises, I didn't read your post fully and when you mentioned about the free kicks my initial reaction was to post that goal!

I think Tansey scored a few free kicks with Stevenage but I can't find them on YouTube.

Did you no see him the first time round?!

Yes. He was clearly a talented young player with potential. He was maybe a bit over confident and perhaps not as good as he thought he was. He could maybe have worked a bit harder for the team but that was then and this is now.

He is back because he chose to come back. He could have sat out his more lucrative contract with Stevenage where he was playing regularly. Young players mature and learn from past mistakes.

He's only just back in the door. Give him a chance.

• Agree 3

By leaving Stevenage he's missing out the chance to play against Everton in the cup next week - the team he supports, and his grandfather played for.

Although he maybe wasn't expecting to be picked anyway.

He played vs Everton this season in the capital one cup

Who was the poster on here who said he could pick a pass just as good as Xavi?  I mean WHAT?!  :laugh:

Also, par a couple of good performances (one of which was away to Dunfermline IIRC), he did essentially nothing for whole stretches of the season he was with us.  He was billed as this great playmaker and free kick taker, but he really wasn't.  Going by the Stevenage fans comments sounds like very little has changed, one of which describes him leaving as a dream come true!  I hope he's improved and I wish him well, but the way some people are going on about him, you'd think it was Messi we'd signed!

Edited by Renegade

Tansey did underachieve but the majority of players did and we were only saved by the fact Dunfermiline couldn't win many games including hardly any at home and Hibs were drastic. But i agree with the post that suggests his style didn't fit in with our style for the time. Fast forward 12 months and we finished top 6 just missed out on europe and getting recognised slightly more by the media for our style of play. Had Tansey stayed then im sure he would have been far better suited which is why i think he will be shrewd piece of business . I think he will give us that extra bit composure and link up from midfield that has been lacking since foran got injured. Doran, Ross and whoever plays in behind Billy have had to drop deeper to get hold of the ball leaving billy more isolated. I just think Tansey can add that link up from deeper in midfield allowing our more creative forward thinking players to push up and support billy better. He may also play in behind billy but i think he is in to add more depth to the two deeper midfield positions.

• Agree 1

I am really glad to see him back. With the injuries and suspensions we have at the moment he will surely go straight into the 1st team. I think when Foran, Vincent, Draper etc are all back then Tansey will drop to the bench but it is good to have some better cover for when we have players out. For to many years now the quality of the cover has just not been up to sratch

Not so sure he will drop back to the bench.  Might mean Foran on the left or centre, with Tansey and Draper in the deeper role.  But then, there isn't really a first team, just a first team squad.  You need a bunch of players all competing for a slot.

• Agree 1

Who was the poster on here who said he could pick a pass just as good as Xavi?  I mean WHAT?!  :laugh:

We couldve signed Xavi just now but cos he'd be a Yogi purchase it would be seen as a player thats either too old, past his best, or seen as an excuse to overlook the youth  :happy:

I actually think its a really smart move, he may not have been so consistent when he was first here but lets be serious...who really was during that season? It was the most disrupted, disjointed season that we've ever had in terms of trying to put a team together, so many players fell foul of it...he was one of them. Once we have Foran, Draper and Vincent back in the fold we will be well covered in terms of quantity and quality in midfield. Been a while since we had that.

We saw flashes of brilliance from him and we are a different team from the one he left. With the likes of Draper or Foran playing the more defensive role Tansey will have more freedom to do what he does in midfield, he's a good ball player, hes got a set piece in his locker and an eye for goal.

I see no point in reading what the Stevenage fans have to say. If we paid attention to what fans of previous clubs said then the likes of Foran, Hayes, Esson or even Raven would never have been signed

Welcome back Greg...lets all do the Tansey!  :boxing:

Edited by AJS

Let's not forget that his first time round in 11/12, He was far from the only poor player. Several folk I can mind being below par back then ;)

Give the lad a chance. If his work rate is the problem, fhen maybe a second bite will prove more fruitful.

Greg had a hernia op. about a year ago and according to a physio who knows him has struggled since. Hopefully a new start with us is what he needs.

I have heard competition was from Motherwell, Port Vale and Newport.

Edited by Big G