Inverness C.T. -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

Would have taken a draw before the game, much better performance than in recent weeks.  Thought Raven had a good game coming back in at right back and Shinnie had a decent game in midfield.  Williams was much better on the wing and Greenhalgh did well when he came on.

Edited by KennySim93
  • Agree 1

agree with that but i just wonder why graeme shinnie didnt step up. I know he doesnt take that many but he confidently tucked one away in the semi final last year and well it couldnt have been worse than ross's effort. Bit disappointed that we didnt win and we especially given a penalty and i didnt think united created all that much apart from the two efforts off the post. In the end we have dropped 2 points from some sloppy marking at a corner straight after we took the lead.

just think at times we lack conviction out wide. Doran took on the full back put in a great cross and Billy was denied by a brilliant save. Watkins to be fair does but williams and greenhalgh i just think need to take on full backs more and put them in. To many times we knock it back or play back into middle, just get the ball run and commit some dfenders  

SMILEYMOMETER :smile:

BRILL :smile::blush: I am mot sure who to give the Valium to - Deano or me - that was very, very shaky.

RAVEN :smile::smile::smile::clapoverhead: Welcome back Dave. Looked a bit off the pace early doors but showed us what we have been missing.

WARREN :smile::smile::smile:  Solid enuff as usual but he will be the first to admit that he had the clearest scoring chance of the day but blew it.

MEEKINGS :smile::smile::ohmy: Not his best day at the office. Lost his marking 3-4 times that led to goal scoring chances. Distribution also poorer than usual.

TREMARCO :smile::smile::ohmy: Looked very shaky in the first but fortunately not put under pressure in the second. I honestly think that other teams let him have space as he does not carry a threat going forward.

POLWORTH :smile::smile::smile: I thought that he put in a generally good display. He tired near the end but had also clearly been told to sit in the hole in front of Warren and Meekings.

SHINNIE :smile::smile::smile: Did OK but still is a left wing back to me. Needs to be stuck back there as soon as possible.

DORAN :smile::smile::smile::smile: I will give him MOM, just in front of Raven. He worked his socks off today and was a real playmaker.

WILLIAMS :smile::smile::happy: Some great dead ball deliveries but did little else. May have suffered as everyone was looking for Doran all the time.

ROSS :smile::smile::sad:  Was doing OK up until penalty miss and his head went down a bit. Really needs to get more aggressive.

Mckay :smile::smile::smile:  Fell so, so sorry fer the wee man. Gets a goal, works his socks off but gets isolated with no support. It would have been interesting if Christie had more time on the park so we could evaluate the difference.

Mr BEATON - Poor but thankfully boobed at their undoubted penalty which would also have resulted in a :redcard: for Warren. And why was it not a :redcard:at our penalty ??

YOGI - Liked his selection, liked his system - only real criticism is that we lost shape after the penalty miss. His substitutions were correct but both were too late.

Thought we just tired in midfield.  No surprise really, with Polworth barely playing before and Williams being fairly average.  A Foran or Draper would have made a difference.  Can't complain too much.  Exciting match that needed a bit more in midfield towards the last third.

• Agree 1

Actually thought we played better today created a few chances and on another day they go in. As for the penalty I think people are being pretty harsh on Nick yes it was a poor pen but those with a memory will remember that the reason Billy no longer takes them is because he missed on more than one occasion surely the player who has scored the last 2 deserves the chance at another go? Plenty positives from this game particularly Raven being back in the side.

• Agree 1

A point stops the rot and I think the system worked better than of late. Still think a 4-4-2 would work better in the absence of any recognised holding midfielders. Subs seemed to work quite well, though. I'd settle for the same result next week too!

• Agree 1

Much better but still room for improvement. Thought the team selection was spot on. Shinnie plugged the gap in midfield and finally Raven was selected and justified it with a solid performance.

Williams faired better out wide but needs to be more confident when running with the ball, Greenhalgh seemed to show a bit more flair when he came on, would like to see more of him.

Both teams had chances, United hitting the woodwork and Ross with the penalty so ultimately a point was probably a fair result. As IHE said we have stopped the rot so we have to build on this asap.  Also nice to see Polworth and Christie get some more time on the pitch...long may the blooding of youngsters continue. 

Deano had a bit of a mare today, kicking and handling at times as well as being a few inches off achieving a Peter Enckelman but still produced some good moments, Doran as well, nothing he did seemed to come off, he will see better days without question. 

• Agree 1

I think it is to early to write off our European chances just yet but we need to start winning and quickly. Today was positive and maybe we can start to move forward again as i think Yogi has found a formula that will work while we miss draper and foran. Vincent is starting training again so it wont be long before we see him again and of course if we get Russell Latapy as an assistant it may just help the players add an extra bit of craft and creativity. Net week is big but we shouldn't fear Aberdeen as we showed in our dominant 2nd half display against them before Christmas. Motherwell and Aberdeen are moving ahead a little bit but they haven't been setting the world alight so if we can regain some form it can very quickly change but we must take it one game at a time.

• Agree 3

I think that Yogi put out the best team possible (given injuries & suspensions) and played players in most suitable positions.

Hopefully he'll now grasp the nettle & make this his team - as opposed to trying to continue "as you were" with the team inherited from TB.

A decent enough performance and result - and nearly a bit better. Onwards to the next game now.

• Agree 3

This was my first chance to go to a game since Yogi took over and I fellt it was a pretty good game on the whole.  For a while after they equalised I feared we could get over-run but we tightened up and gave their more creative players very little space when on the ball.  As the game wore on we got better and created some decent chances.  With Foran, Draper and Vincent all out this was the sort of match which could have been difficult and I think credit must go to Shinnie in particular for us managing to have the majority of the possession.  Shinnie was my MOTM but apart from that I think IHE has it about right.

The disappointment for me was again Nick Ross.  He can be a neat and tidy player and it was he who put Shinnie through for the penalty incident, but apart from that he huffed and puffed to little effect.  We suddenly looked far more threatening when he came off and surely his days in the starting line up must be numbered.  Williams was OK, but having moved wide I was hoping for a bit more from him and Greenhalgh offered more guile and threat we he came on near the end.  Good calls from Yogi to substitute the 2 of them although doing so earlier might have reaped rewards.

Brill rode his luck and hopefully he'll learn from today.  However, just one observation about his distribution.  Sometimes it is very poor and I wonder why he doesn't quickly throw or bowl the ball out more.  It was an open game and often he had Doran, Williams or Tremarco in clear space but just hoofed the ball up the park.  In contrast, Cierzniak threw the ball out on two or three occasions and set up promising moves.

More positives than negatives today though.  It looks to me that we could consolidate our position as a mid table / top six side under Hughes - and do that by playing good attacking football.  We just need that little bit more confidence in front of goal and we could go on a run again.

• Agree 1

Remember that after next week's game will will have Warren and Draper back and on zero bookings. Against Aberdeen we will have Devine in the Centre. We play Killie away which will be a challenge. Watkins should be fit with Richie possibly ready for the Semi. Vincent may be back early February. We may sign someone soon. Circumstances have contributed to the dip.

• Agree 1

I had to watch this on telly, which didn't make it any less stressful!  It could have gone either way, and we must be grateful that Graham and Erskine both hit the post when they should have scored, while Warren got away with that last man tackle on GMS that would have given them a penalty.

We'll be so much stronger when we have the midfield trio of Draper, Foran and Vincent back.  I shouted "f****** hell, Polworth!" at the TV so often that I lost count - I wonder if I should put the slogan on a t-shirt.  His positioning and defensive work were actually far better than I expected...but he gave the ball away so many times that it nearly made me cry.  Shinnie alongside him did an excellent job filling in, but I'd rather have him at left back where Tremarco doesn't fill me with confidence at all.  In my opinion, he dived for the penalty, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised to see him get a ban as a result. 

As stated by some already, Nick Ross is out of form just now.  Neither of the penalties he had scored recently had gone in without the keeper getting at least a hand on it, so I wasn't in the least bit surprised that Ciernziak denied him.  Ross would probably have offered more on the wing, where Williams had a very quiet game again. 

I did think our central defenders did well and the back four looked better as a unit with Raven in the side.  McKay was terrific - again - I fear someone will take a punt on him during the transfer window.  Doran was busy as ever, but the lack of movement off the ball from anyone other than McKay means that he seldom has the chance to play a killer pass.

This result stops the rot, I guess.  But I can't see us going to Pittodrie and getting a result, given our weakness in midfield at the moment.

Thought that was an even contest between two sides that naturally attack. Matched up, there was very little between any player on the pitch and that is testimony to the guys who have come in to do a shift when the first choice midfield is missing. Shinnie did well for what was effectively the first game in that position, and Ross had some really good touches in midfield. He created more space than anyone else on the pitch but defensively we looked a bit tired at times. Billy was really sharp and might have punished some slack play at the back. The penalty was a good height for the keeper but they should have had one as well, so even stevens was just about right. Dean Brill reckoned that the pitch was really slick because it was frosting up on top, I just reckoned he was wearing someone elses legs today. That wasn'y a bad point - onwards and upwards.

• Agree 2

Dean Brill had a nightmare, 2 stars is generous at best Johndo, the whole of the North Stand creaked every time the ball came into the box. Nick Ross, as Doofers Dad said, neat and tidy on the ball but no cutting edge and the penalty was a joke, more like a pass back, get him to Elgin for a season.

A draw was fair enough as both sides went for the winner. Our lack of penetration showed up in the first half but we got better as the game wore on. Warren should have scored late on and the ever infuriating Doran hit the side netting.

United had their chances but giving them a free header to equalise was criminal.

Overall, time for Esson to come back as Brill could have cost us a handful of goals today and as soon as we get a more robust midfielder, punt Nick Ross.

I find it hilarious that a player who has played reasonably well all season, misses a penalty and has a couple of average games and someone is calling for them to be punted...great support well done!

Edited by GavICT
  • Agree 2

I find it hilarious that we are still sticking with a player that offers very little, great support or not, the guy needs to man up or get out.

Neat and tidy granted, match winner not. Doing my head in. Let's all be loyal to home bred players, whether they are good enough or not, makes no sense.

• Agree 1

Dean Brill had a nightmare, 2 stars is generous at best Johndo, the whole of the North Stand creaked every time the ball came into the box. Nick Ross, as Doofers Dad said, neat and tidy on the ball but no cutting edge and the penalty was a joke, more like a pass back, get him to Elgin for a season.

A draw was fair enough as both sides went for the winner. Our lack of penetration showed up in the first half but we got better as the game wore on. Warren should have scored late on and the ever infuriating Doran hit the side netting.

United had their chances but giving them a free header to equalise was criminal.

Overall, time for Esson to come back as Brill could have cost us a handful of goals today and as soon as we get a more robust midfielder, punt Nick Ross.[/quot

So Nick misses a penalty and you think he should be sent to Elgin ....How harsh is that ,he isn't the first to miss one

and certainly won't be the last !! Get off his back and give him some encouragement for the good hard work

he does on the pitch.

• Agree 1