put up or shut up for Billy Mackay

ferben1994

I see in the courier and the current bun yogis is telling interested parties to put up their bids in next 7 days or forget it.

Bit of a gamble in my opinion

If someone comes and meets our valuation who we gonna realistically get to replace him.

my cynical side was considering this as actually a bit of a sales push along the lines of  " look folks he is still here, so come on be good to us and give us a chance to replace him...you know we will sell"

hope not though

• Agree 1

Agreed, tout him around in the press and sell our best asset, we lack a back up and the ability to score goals from other players. The optomism of the league and cup runs is already starting to evaporate..............I don't mind Billy or any player leaving to play at a better standard for more money, but please wait til the summer and deliver us at least a national final, think about how they got into the position to be made a better offer to start with!!!

• Agree 2

Two options. 

1.  Don't sell Billy

2.  Sell Billy and get someone else in with part of the profit.

Perhaps there is someone lined up should Billy leave who would like to come here but has other options.  Hence a time frame in which the club would do business on Billy. 

My view is we shouldn't sell.  No reason why he shouldn't keep scoring.  Keeping him would increase our chance of success at the end of the season and would allow time to negotiate a bigger fee with someone in the summer.

Isn't t he trying to get any offer which we ultimately couldn't refuse out of the way earlier, so we have time to bring in a replacement - and also so the matter can be taken as resolved before deadline day, reducing any period of uncertainty?

If it works.

The question of whether we should or shouldn't sell is immaterial.  The club is run as a business, and while no-one at the club will want to sell, of course there is a price at which they'll feel they must.

Good move, lets the player focus on his club and gets rid of any ifs buts and maybes. If he is reluctantly sold we have time to replace and saves weeks of mind games then the window shuts.

I doubt he will be going anywhere, so lets him concentrate on his football.

i feel we will just get another striker done it before we can do it again just cause billy goes doesn't mean anything we are not a one man team, im sure with the money we could get and yogi's past in finding and producing great strikers we will be fine without him. It is only the short term we would struggle 

If we get offered a million/above I wouldn't begrudge the club if we cashed in Billy Mckay. With signing Greg Tansey today I think Richie Foran would be a good choice up front with Draper and Tansey in the holding midfielders role.

Edited by ICTRoughi

We shouldn't be in a rush to sell unless we've got someone lined up to come in and replace him and it makes the club more stable in the long term from any money brought in.

Everyone knows that January is an inflated window making it harder and more expensive to replace him although you could also say that this might work to the good for the club by using it to their advantage to get more money for him. I agree nothing less than £500K would be acceptable , goalscorers like McKay are few and far between and for that reason come at a premium.