Euro 16

Alex MacLeod

Almost in total agreement with the above (Alex MacLeod) with possibly Northern Ireland, Lithuania or Moldova instead of Iceland.

The draw next month is crucial. This is a realistic chance to qualify for a Finals again.

Nightmare scenario could be a group like: Scotland, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Azerbajan, Turkey, Gemany.

Not writing the pots but from what I've seen I'd like Bosnia, Republic of Ireland, Norway, Iceland and Andorra.

Or for nice places to visit and a glamour match England, Czech Republic, Poland, Cyprus and Gibraltar.

Whatever the draw it'll be tough going in at pot 4.

Been to Gibraltar Alex. Wouldnae recommend it, UKIP could win there  :lol:

Disappointed with Andorra too after waiting to visit it since I were a lad. Going to Iceland in September for a 9 day 'Photographic Adventure'!

Edited by TheMantis
Spelled Alex as Alax!

• 5 weeks later...

A chance for Scotland to qualify for their first major since 1998, which was also in France. Good omen?! The qualifying draw is today.

The pots are based on recent previous performances rather than current form so sides like Belgium are in the same pot as Ireland (pot 2), while dangerous teams like Iceland lurk in pot 5. Gibraltar enter for the first time. Top 2 plus best 3rd placed team qualify, with the 8 other 3rd placed teams entering the play-offs. Definite opportunity, but the group draw is key.

several potential 'groups of death' in there, and possible much easier groups. We just want a decent chance, Greece, Hungary, Norway/Israel, Scotland and Andorra/San Marino/Gibralter would be as good as we could get in suppose. What would the chances be. One things for sure, Scotlands named ball will not be heated like some compititions.Saying that getting Germany or Spain wouldnt be a bad thing as it would remove all 6 potential points from the others, whereas England seem liable to drop points all over the place

Saying that we could get Holland, Belgium, Turkey, Iceland and Kazakstan. 

Germany has to be favourites to win the group. Of the rest I think results against Gibraltar aren't going to count. The hope is that the Poland, Scotland, Ireland and Georgia will take points of each other and may even take a point of Germany. For us I think we need to win our home games against Poland Ireland and Georgia and hope to pick up something away against one of them. A point from Germany over the two games would also  help. Going to be very hard but we do have a squad of players coming through that are better than what we've had for quite a while.

• Agree 1

The other groups are similarly even in toughness. I'd say the playoffs are a real target and 2nd is not unimaginable. Will be better prepared this time around. Also, no tough journeys, Bosnia, Ukraine, Israel, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan would have been a heck of a group!

Germany has to be favourites to win the group. Of the rest I think results against Gibraltar aren't going to count. The hope is that the Poland, Scotland, Ireland and Georgia will take points of each other and may even take a point of Germany. For us I think we need to win our home games against Poland Ireland and Georgia and hope to pick up something away against one of them. A point from Germany over the two games would also  help. Going to be very hard but we do have a squad of players coming through that are better than what we've had for quite a while.

This.

Remove Germany and Gibraltar.

It's actually a 4 team league. Playing for top and second.

I think it's a good draw...could have been much worse. Getting Ireland as opposed to Belgium, from Pot 2, is a bonus.

I wonder if the SFA will play the Gibraltar game at Pittodrie?

The current FIFA World Rankings (for what they're worth) make for good reading!

Germany (2)

Scotland (34)

Rep. of Ireland (67)

Poland (70)

Georgia (103)

Gibraltar (-)

Meanwhile, back in the real world, early bookies prices suggest Poland will join Germany as automatic qualifiers with the Irish getting the play-off spot and Scotland missing out altogether!

There are some mindboggling fixture days and times, like home to Germany on Monday after being away to Georgia on the Friday.  Why has 3pm on Saturday been consiogned to the history books?

Sunday 7 September: Germany v Scotland (19.45)

Saturday 11 October: Scotland v Georgia (17:00)

Tuesday 14 October: Poland v Scotland (19:45)

Friday 14 November: Scotland v Republic of Ireland (19.45)

Sunday 29 March 2015: Scotland v Gibraltar (17:00)

Saturday 13 June 2015: Republic of Ireland v Scotland (17:00)

Friday 4 September 2015: Georgia v Scotland (17:00)

Monday 7 September 2015: Scotland v Germany (19:45)

Thursday 8 October 2015: Scotland v Poland (19:45)

Sunday 11 October 2015: Gibraltar v Scotland (19:45)

• Agree 2

If you give any credence to the FIFA rankings, Scotland are in one of the easier groups.  The republic, ranked at 67 are the third ranked team in that group and no other group has a 3rd ranked team ranked so low. 

Toughest group would seem to be the small Group I with 4 teams in the top 30 with the 5th and final team, Albania being ranked 12 places above the 3rd ranked team in Scotland's group.  Poland and the Republic sound like tough oponents but neither are anything like as good as they used to be.  To be honest, I think Scotland haven't had as a good a chance to qualify for a major finals for a long time.

England are in one of only 2 groups with 3 teams ranked in the top 30 but then there is a big gap to the 4th place team which is ranked well below the 4th ranked team in Scotland's group.  The high ranking of Switzerland and Slovenia probably flatters them and I would expect England to qualify easily -  although they will probably leave it to the last game.

Mind you, I see the Cape Verde Islands are ranked 27th in the world.   :amazed:

I think perhaps the bookies odds might be a more accurate guide than the FIFA rankings.

There are some mindboggling fixture days and times, like home to Germany on Monday after being away to Georgia on the Friday.  Why has 3pm on Saturday been consiogned to the history books?

Sunday 7 September: Germany v Scotland (19.45)

Saturday 11 October: Scotland v Georgia (17:00)

Tuesday 14 October: Poland v Scotland (19:45)

Friday 14 November: Scotland v Republic of Ireland (19.45)

Sunday 29 March 2015: Scotland v Gibraltar (17:00)

Saturday 13 June 2015: Republic of Ireland v Scotland (17:00)

Friday 4 September 2015: Georgia v Scotland (17:00)

Monday 7 September 2015: Scotland v Germany (19:45)

Thursday 8 October 2015: Scotland v Poland (19:45)

Sunday 11 October 2015: Gibraltar v Scotland (19:45)

TV dictates...