Team for Hearts Semi

Guest Mahonio

Mahonio--gotta relax old chap. Turn the tables and crack wise against him. But don't allow him to get it that he is rattling your cage.....eh?

It's only a footie website after all. And we only live once in this lifetime.

Here's one that brought a twinkle into my periwinkle:

Did you hear the one about the wee boy who was drawing on a piece of paper.

His dad went up to him and said.." what are you drawing son?"

The lad looks up and says. " I'm drawing God.

"But how do you know what he looks like son, Nobody knows that?"  says Dad

"They will when I am finished !" replies the little guy.

:lol:

• Agree 1

How many tickets have we sold? Doesn't look like sections 16, 17, 18 and 19 in the lower tier are available to buy online so I'm assuming they're sold out, which would mean roughly 1200 sold so far. But maybe those sections are being sold in the shop...

Edited by Guest

Brill

Raven Meekings* Warren Shinnie

Draper Foran**

Doran Vincent Watkins

Mckay

Subs: Esson, Devine, Tremarco, Tansey, Williams

*Devine in for Meekings if not fit (Polworth on the bench)

**Tansey in for Foran if not fit (Ross on the bench)

Time to get back to our solid, best starting 11. 

Do you go with a team that has more experience and been their and done that or the team that should be our strongest?

Brill

Raven Meekings Warren Shinnie

Draper Vincent

Watkins Tansey. Williams

McKay

Devine for Meekings and Foran for Vincent if required.

Brill

Raven        Warren    Meekings    Tremarco

Tansey     Vincent

Doran         Draper           Shinnie

McKay

Strongest team possible IMHO

One of the problems we have currently is 'not scoring goals'. We have become too predictable expecting Billy to  score regularly. He is currently missing quite a few opportunities. Other players are not filling in for Richie in terms of goal contributions. It is unlikely to happen but there has to be something to be said for resting Billy and then bringing him on possibly after 35 minutes so that he concentrates his efforts and achieves success. This is a massive game for him personally because he has last year's semi final miss permanently in the background. 

With Andrew Shinnie doing a Rooney down south perhaps he could sign a one month loan deal and provide the change that we need.

What I want to know, is if Laurence a la last season, believes this game is the biggest in the club's history! 1eye.gif

I was pondering this a few days ago....What would constitute our biggest game ever? Although a massive game for us, the League Cup semi isn't as big as a Scottish Cup semi. A league Cup Final, however, now that would arguably be our biggest ever!

Tough choices.  Had the players who played so well against Aberdeen also played well against Kilmarnock, then the team would probably have picked itself - but they didn't.  That's maybe a blessing in disguise because I think that would not be our best team for this game.  In making his selection there are a few factors Yogi needs to consider:-

• Cup success is all Hearts have to play for this season - they will be 100% up for this.  They will be in our faces trying to stop us playing pretty football.
  • The game will go to extra time if all square after 90 minutes.
  • We have a number of players returning from injury who may struggle over 90 minutes and would certainly struggle over 120. 

We need to prepare for a hard combative match and whilst we should look to win in normal time we need to prepare for 120.

I would play Tremarco at left back and keep Shinnie in midfield.  The solidity of Vincent and Draper in midfiled will allow Raven and Shinnie to drive forward allowing Doran and Watkins more options.  Vincent perhaps is the most likely not to last the pace but draper can drop back and Tansey come into the attacking midfield role.  Either Greenhalgh or Williams could come on for Watkins and would provide effective fresh legs if needed.

I think this would be a hard team for Hearts to break down but one that will be dangerous on the break.  We need to get at them early and get our noses in front.

I think Tansey will prove a great signing and whilst I would personally like to see him start, I can't see that happening if he didn't get on at all yesterday.

Brill

Raven   Warren   Meekings  Tremarco

Vincent         Shinnie

Doran            Draper        Watkins

Mckay

Subs.  Esson, Devine, Tansey, Williams, Greenhalgh

• Agree 2

Here's my thoughts, for what they're worth.

At the back, we need to go with the strongest defence we have - which is, unquestionably, Raven, Warren, Meekings and Shinnie.  Warren and Meekings are better players than Devine, and an established partnership too.  Frankly, Shinnie is better than Tremarco at everything.

Draper must play in centre mid.  We badly miss his physical presence, all the more so when Foran is out.  I'd much rather have Tansey than Polworth, again because he is a better player.  Polworth might yet come good, but when he plays poorly (such as in Perth or in Kilmarnock), we are drastically weakened in an important area of the pitch.  If Vincent is fit, then slot him back into his role between midfield and attack, where his workrate and engine have proven to be far more effective for us this season than Nick Ross' attempts to impersonate Andrew Shinnie.

On the right, I tend towards Doran rather than Watkins, simply because the Doran-Raven partnership works so well and Doran is never as good when on the left.  The downside is, as RiG pointed out, Watkins offers us an effective diagonal because he's good in the air.  Maybe we could use Marley on the left, but I don't recall him playing there before and a cup semi final doesn't seem like the best place to experiment.  So maybe Ross on the left, where he will cut inside and open up space for Shinnie to attack?  But if we went with Williams' pace, then I wouldn't be particularly upset.

And up front, Mckay, of course.  Who else?

So, in conclusion, it should be: Brill, Raven, Warren, Meekings, Shinnie, Draper, Tansey, Doran, Vincent, Ross, Mckay.  Subs: Esson, Devine, Tremarco, Watkins, Williams

• Agree 7

Here's my thoughts, for what they're worth.

At the back, we need to go with the strongest defence we have - which is, unquestionably, Raven, Warren, Meekings and Shinnie.  Warren and Meekings are better players than Devine, and an established partnership too.  Frankly, Shinnie is better than Tremarco at everything.

Draper must play in centre mid.  We badly miss his physical presence, all the more so when Foran is out.  I'd much rather have Tansey than Polworth, again because he is a better player.  Polworth might yet come good, but when he plays poorly (such as in Perth or in Kilmarnock), we are drastically weakened in an important area of the pitch.  If Vincent is fit, then slot him back into his role between midfield and attack, where his workrate and engine have proven to be far more effective for us this season than Nick Ross' attempts to impersonate Andrew Shinnie.

On the right, I tend towards Doran rather than Watkins, simply because the Doran-Raven partnership works so well and Doran is never as good when on the left.  The downside is, as RiG pointed out, Watkins offers us an effective diagonal because he's good in the air.  Maybe we could use Marley on the left, but I don't recall him playing there before and a cup semi final doesn't seem like the best place to experiment.  So maybe Ross on the left, where he will cut inside and open up space for Shinnie to attack?  But if we went with Williams' pace, then I wouldn't be particularly upset.

And up front, Mckay, of course.  Who else?

So, in conclusion, it should be: Brill, Raven, Warren, Meekings, Shinnie, Draper, Tansey, Doran, Vincent, Ross, Mckay.  Subs: Esson, Devine, Tremarco, Watkins, Williams

Think this post will save a lot of people posting their opinions. Absolutely spot on

Obviously changes need to be made after the Killie showing. We need our strongest side out.  I like the look of hislopsoffsideagain's  suggestion.  I definitely think Tansey deserves a start after his showing v Dons.  Devine for Meekings if the latter's injury prevents him playing.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks