Queen down to her last million quid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25922896

It would appear that the poor soul's domestic reserves are down to their last million because she has overspent over the last year on her residences.

This prompted me to check up on the rules for the Bedroom Tax. They say that you get your benefits cut by 25% if you have two or more spare bedrooms.

Now I'm sure the Queen, who apparently receives £31 million of public money in benefits - which might even be more than the whole of Benefits Street put together - has a lot more than two spare bedrooms.

So presumably she should lose 25% of her benefits.

For each of Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Balmoral and Sandringham :smile:

Charles, I take it you will be voting "Yes" later in the year so that an Independent Scotland can become a republic and get rid of this drain on the public purse?  :whistle:

Unfortunately the yes campaign couldn't even see their way to trying to woo my vote with the proposal that we ditch the royals. They say they want to keep them.

I would also point out that having an overwhelmingly British identity doesn't necessarily require an affinity with the queen. On the other hand in the other direction, I could imagine that there won't be too many ardent royalists who want Britain to be broken up.

In the event of a yes vote, would the queen be obliged to limit her stay at Balmoral to only 8.3% of the year? :smile:

The queen's ethnic roots actually raise an interesting point because on the "royal" side, although she is basically German with a little bit of Danish three generations ago, you have to go back to James 1 (OK... I'm only winding certain people up - James VI and 1!) in the early 17th century to find any Scottish blood. On the other hand to find English blood you have to go back three more generations and a further 100 years to the Marriage of the Thistle and the Rose and Margaret Tudor (who even then was part Welsh). However on the "non Royal side the queen is half Scottish.

But in the event of a yes vote I suppose she could continue to be officially an English resident whilst claiming her benefits through entitlement as a foreign national of another EU country (assuming Scotland gets in.)

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Who gives a toss?

I just find the whole thing rather bizarre. In the event of a yes vote, the largest recipient of benefits within these islands will live in London as a foreign national of Scottish extraction and with no English connection for over 500 years. Here this semi-Scotswoman will lord it over foreigners - the English, Welsh and Northern Irish - as well as being monarch-in-exile of the Scots.

Charles, I take it you will be voting "Yes" later in the year so that an Independent Scotland can become a republic and get rid of this drain on the public purse?  :whistle:

Unfortunately the yes campaign couldn't even see their way to trying to woo my vote with the proposal that we ditch the royals. They say they want to keep them.

Alex is nae daft.  Campaigning for independence with the promise of a campaign for a republic to follow would be political suicide.  However, once you have independence then I am sure that would open the door to the next stage.  I doubt there is a majority in Scotland in favour of doing away with the monarchy but I suspect the proportion who are is far higher amongst supporters of independence.

In an independent Scotland it would be interesting to know just how much of the public purse would go to supporting the Royal family and how much benefit we would see from it.  My feeling is that the Scots would increasingly feel that the contribution was not worth it.  If you favour a republic over a monarchy then you are far more likely to get it in an independent Scotland than remaining in the Union.

Of course, the prospect of seeing a once again rotund President Salmond entertaining foreign leaders at the Presidential Palace of Balmoral may, perhaps, persuade you that keeping the monarchy is not so bad after all.

Of course, the prospect of seeing a once again rotund President Salmond entertaining foreign leaders at the Presidential Palace of Balmoral may, perhaps, persuade you that keeping the monarchy is not so bad after all.

Is it this sort of thing that you have in mind?

post-50-0-87637500-1391175996.pngpost-50-0-80446100-1391175948.jpgpost-50-0-48676800-1391175958.jpgpost-50-0-89827800-1391175957.jpg