had inverness lost that game , serious questions would be getting asked of those 2 red cards . in the end the 9 of inverness were creating more chances than the 12 men of hearts .

incredible stuff , the best team won and i hope they can go all the way and dump aberdeen in the final

• Agree 2

Just got back home after watching the game with friends in Oxfordshire.  I missed almost half an hour at the start because of flooding near the Thames.

It would have been a travesty if we had lost that.  Warren's second yellow was hardly even a foul.  Meekings was just stupid, showing a bit of immaturity.

But against all odds we triumphed.  That goal by Nick Ross may prove to be the most valuable in our 20 year history, and Tansey's strike was worthy of winning any match.  What an inspired decision getting him back to ICT.

And what about the penalties! All except Shinnie's were great. I guess we must have been practising. And Dean's two saves made all previous talk on here about replacing him with Esson for the shoot out look like so much nonsense.

I can't tell you how proud I was of our extra time effort in denying Hearts.  We even created the better chances in the second period.

Heroes all, and very difficult to pick a MOM.  I'd give it equally to the nine who finished the game.

• Agree 5

I thought we picked the right XI when I saw it - Ross has been inconsistent and Vincent, Tansey and Draper are all solid, expierenced players.  I think Yogi thought we could impose ourselves on Hearts and run over the top of them.  We started very well, dominating the midfield and pushing Hearts back - Draper had what looked like a great opportunity but he was stretching with his wrong foot and put it over.  Hearts were trying to play on the counter and managed to mount some attacks but didn't really threaten us, at least in the initial stages.

As the half got towards 20 minutes or so we stopped being effective and the game became scrappy in the middle.  Our midfield three weren't on top of enough and Hearts kind of hustled and pushed their way into the game.  They didn't really create any clear cut chances but had a couple of shots from distance, a header about two feet wide and got into some good positions.  It was pretty frustrating for us not to be able to press home our early superiority but we managed to create a good opening for McKay, who tested McDonald from an angle towards the end of the half.

We started the second half the way we did the first, on top and focusing most of our play down our right, where Watkins was very impressive.  We were crossing the ball into the box but McKay couldn't buzz onto the end of much and it looked as though we weren't going to take advantage.  That changed when Vincent tangled for the ball on the edge of the box and it rolled back to Tansey, who arrowed in a drive from 20 yards, a tremendous hit.  It was the sort of the goal that Steven Gerrard scores, a peach.  At that point we were in control and I would have backed us to go on and win.

Hearts came back, which was inevitable, and pressured us.  A clumsy collision between Shinnie and Warren (I think) put Hearts right midfielder clean in on goal but Brill made a great stop and the header was cleared off the line.  However,  shortly after that we were dealt a double blow when Warren was sent off for a second booking and after he trudged off the free kick was worked for Jamie Hamill to rattle it into the net.  Yogi did the obvious and took off a winger for a centre half (Doran for Devine) but a minute or so later Hamill curled in a second free kick, a beauty into the top corner. 

It was absolutely gutting at this point for Caley fans.  We hadn't played well but I think we had been the better side and to lose two goals and a man to set pieces was a massive blow.  Personally, I was pretty despondant and didn't think we'd manage anything back.  Meekings forced Hamill into a cracking save when he powered a header in from Tansey's corner and McKay also threatened with a header.  We hadn't won a match from a losing position all season, I think, and I was basically resigned to defeat.  The horrible feeling was compounded by shocking time wasting, diving and feigning by Hearts players. extremely frustrating to see.  We pushed forward but weren't able to do anything and when we went down to nine men, when Meekings was red-carded for a trip to stop Hearts getting a breakaway I was certain we were for it.  It wasn't a red card if you ask me, he tripped his opponent inside the Hearts half with players covering so it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity and it wasn't violent conduct, ie a kick.  Our players were seething at it but it looked like we'd end the match howling at the injustice of it all and doing little else.

Somehow we managed to get one last ball into the box and in the scramble Nick Ross, who'd actually done well when introduced I thought, squirmed the ball home past McDonald.  It was a surreal moment, where I was sitting it looked like the ball was in the side netting and I thougth it was until Ross ran to our fans and someone launched a smoke bomb onto the pitch laugh.png  That was it for 90 minutes and we had the bizarre prospect of playing 30 minutes with nine men.

We did this very well.  Draper and Devine are about as makeshift a centre-back pairing as you could ask for but defended brilliantly, Draper was unorthodox but unpassable.  We brought on Tremarco, who was solid and dangerous going forward, and then had Tansey, Ross, and Watkins sitting in the middle with McKay up front.  We sat behind the ball and invited Hearts to test us, there isn't really much else to be done in this sort of situation.  It was a strange spectacle, like a defence v attack training match.  Hearts seemed burst from the equaliser and didn't offer much.  Nick Ross and Billy McKay even managed to eke out a few half chances for us but we were going for penalties.

It was noticeable that when the final whistle blew, Hearts players sank down but our players celebrated, we were the positive side mentally at this point.  Shinnie hit a poor penalty but that was followed up by an equally pish one from the on-loan striker.  Our following penalties from Tansey, Ross, McKay and Draper were perfect and it was Jamie Hammil, man of the match, two goal hero and 'streetwise professional', who had his saved bh Brill, a fantastic diving stretch.

It was absolutely remarkable, an insane game.  I wasn't drinking before it, or last night, and I just feel a buzz, I'm shaking even now.  The only big, do-or-die game we've ever won was the Clyde match to secure promotion in 2004, we're the sort of side who ploughs thought rather than wins crunchers.  It's just a remarkable achievement.  I'm normally not someone to give this sort of thing too much credence but I thought our spirit carried us on today.  To play with the discipline and control we did for thirty minutes and then to hold our nerve in the shoot-out was really driven by the togetherness of the group.  We maybe should have beaten Hearts anyway, given our sides but we managed it because of how the team worked for each other and themselves I think.

• Agree 18

Spent today at the foot of Nelson's Column...hoping for victory. Naelifts texting the action (for which, thanks!)...but I just knew when we grabbed the lead....

Here we are exactly half way through the season, and it is remarkable how the first goal in a game has been decisive.  Of our 19 league games:

10 wins – we scored first every time

6 defeats – we conceded first every time

2 no score draws

1 score draw (2-2 at Celtic) – the only game in which the team scoring first didn’t go on to win.

Some people mentioned elsewhere that the players heads seemed to drop the other day after going behind – maybe it’s because they know that they haven't so much as salvaged a draw when that has happened!

The positive thing is that ICT have been incredibly good at holding onto leads.

The message for Hughes is that the only tactic we need is to score the 1st goal, the rest will take care of itself. I don’t know why he didn’t think of this before. :blink: 

What was everyone nervous about?

A great result and well done to everyone associated with ICT!

• Agree 1

Attendance was 12,600 i see. So much for Tannadice(14,000) not being big enough. Doncaster is a fecking clown n needs to be shot of!

And given that a proportion of the Hearts fans only went cos it was being played in their own back yard, even McDiarmid would have been adequate!

• Agree 1

Well we beat all the Odds location KO Time and the Referee what a joke he was Warren 1st booking fair enough second never a booking and Meekings no more than a yellow especially when you think  that Hearts player only got a yellow when he felled McKay.

I really thought we had lost the game after going 2-1 down  but you have to hand it to the lads for digging and getting the equaliser in the dying minutes and then to hold out and actually create the better chances in extra time with 9 men was incredible. I thought that our boys would probably knackered that they would not be able to take Penalties but once again they rose to the occasion.

This has to be probably our greatest victory.

Pity Warren will miss the Final and we surely must protest Meekings Red Card

• Agree 2

What a game that even with 9 men and the officials against us we deservedly won,  Great effort from all the players and a great day out for the fans, it really was Sunshine on Leith today!  Looking forward to the final! :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead:

• Agree 1

On my way bk south after the best game ever. First half was awful enough said besides the odd one or two chances. Second half what a game! Tansey great strike 1-0 and i thought this the chance to go on and put there young side to bed. Instead we hoofed it instead of playing on the ground and allowed them to come at us. Warren not sure but he had committed a few fouls and was walking a tightrope. The goal poor marking fouled us and it was back against the wall time. Hamill fk very good nothing Deano could do. But we had the best chance with 10 men but wonderful save McDonald. Meekings was frustration, harsh for red but poor tackle. With 9 men i thought it was over but Nick Ross thank you for giving the best high that could beat any drug. I was on the front row but wow what a rush cannot describe the euphoria. Extra time was our defence vs there attack but ironically it was us with the best chances and they seemed terrified of Billy and Nick as the only two to attack. Pens ended great after Graeme missed the first but plaudits to Deano after standing up to be counted. 12 months ago hearts looked unstoppable from the spot but Deano was huge. To win on pens is great after last season but that goal by nick will live long in the memory. Winning was great but the wild celebrations to take it into extra time was special. Great crowd, great result in very happly pissed on my train journey south roll on the final. Yessssssssssss

• Agree 3

Outstanding back to the wall performance by the 9 men all hero's. Many thanks to CJT for bus organisation etc and to all the boys & girls in attendance for making it a top day.

Unfortunately only down side, our bus toilet required gas masks every time someone opened the door, but hey we survived.

• Agree 3

I watched on tv as I said I would. Firstly well done guys for a fantastic never say die performance. You made me feel so proud.

Justice was done for the red cards. Firstly it wasn't Warren who committed the foul for his second yellow. It was Watkins. No wonder Gary was raging for being no where near the incident. Then Josh's red card was no worse than a yellow and certainly not as bad as Robinson's near leg breaker on Billy in 6 minutes.

• Agree 2

Is it just me, but I thought Josh kicked the guy out of frustration and deserved to go, rather cynical side from Josh that I've never seen before. Warren's sending off was dubious though.

What a result and I thought Nick Ross was fantastic when he came on, linking well with Billy and his goal was just reward for him, Yogi and Inverness.

Thank you Inverness.

Has anyone been over to see how the Hearts fans are feeling?

I'm guessing that winning v 10 men on 90 minutes, and then having another 30 minutes to brush aside 9 men, they might be somewhat disappointed.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Agree 2

Is it just me, but I thought Josh kicked the guy out of frustration and deserved to go, rather cynical side from Josh that I've never seen before.

Ironically, we would almost certainly have lost had Meekings not been so rash. Nothing that happened after that point would have happened otherwise.

what an amazing game! literally had everything, best part of the match is when Jamie Hamill is walking up to take his penalty, taunting to the caley fans and then Brill saves it. Fantastic performance by the 9 players that played through the extra time - bring on Aberdeen

• Agree 2

That was magnificent. To come from a goal and two men down to victory was titanic. It was effectively 9 men against 13 when you factor in the referee and Hearts 'home' advantage.

I have had the misfortune to witness far too many poor refereeing performances in well over four decades of watching football but today's was quite the worst yet still we prevailed.

Extra time was surreal. We were two men light yet were never seriously threatened. Testament to the energy and commitment of the players and the organisation of the coaching staff.

Whilst Billy McKay may not have been at his clinically finishing best, I thought he was tireless today running for 120 minutes ploughing a lone furrow up front in extra time and still having the energy to blast an unstoppable penalty.

An emotionally drained but immensely proud Caley Jaggy....

Hometown boy Nick Ross, whatever else you go on to do in your career you are now forever part of ICT folklore.

A bold statement but given where we were after 94 minutes,this, in my view, is an even greater feat than Parkhead February 2000.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 6