Cup Final Venue

ForzaCaley

So where do you want our 'big day oot' to be?

I reckon dons could muster 25,000 and we'll be between 8-15,000. However county did take 19,000 to Hampden four years ago so you never know.

Also county v dundee utd had attendance of 47,000. Hertz and midden 44,000 last year. I think its fair to say this game will be around the 40k mark also. Therefore i would choose Ibrox as it has capacity of 50,000 and a potential 45,000 crowd will make it full. Celtic park is to big for this fixture imo!

Then again we could always just have it at Mosset park Forres ;)

Parkhead too big, Easter Rd too small. Has to be Ibrox.

Suggestions that we'll take 8-15,000 though? 5,000 tops, I would reckon. This isn't THE cup final, attracting thousands of neutrals, nor does it have the lure of Hampden.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

monthlyrefer a full Easter Road, probable about 5K of us and 15k of them.

Wherever it is I hope they decide soon so that I can get my flights booked.

Me too! I need a return flight as booked expecting a home game months ago ... I currently have 3 hotels booked at different venues as well!

Well, it's a northern derby, so how about the most northern stadium - Elgin City?  Or if they need an SPL venue - Ross County.

Or maybe somewhere inbetween.  Just over the Kessock Bridge, say?

How about a poll for this topic?

I know it was on their doorstep but St Mirren took 17,000 to this final last year. I think we will take at least 8,000. The success starved Dons will take over 25,000 and possibly more.

There may even be the odd neutral if it's sensibly priced so I reckon a crowd of circa 40,000 so Easter Road will be far to small.

Celtic Park is probably too big so that leaves Ibrox. Will make a pleasant change to go there without the cretinous normal occupants singing their 'folk songs'.

I know it was on their doorstep but St Mirren took 17,000 to this final last year. I think we will take at least 8,000. The success starved Dons will take over 25,000 and possibly more.

There may even be the odd neutral if it's sensibly priced so I reckon a crowd of circa 40,000 so Easter Road will be far to small.

Celtic Park is probably too big so that leaves Ibrox. Will make a pleasant change to go there without the cretinous normal occupants singing their 'folk songs'.

^ This, absolutely. Aberdeen used to take 25,000 to Hampden for cup finals when they were in them every year. They're absolutely desperate to wun atrophy, and they'll believe they've never had a better chance.

Not so sure about us. Having taken maybe 8,000 to the Dundee semi - think it was a bit less re Dunfermline iirc - and even 4,500 to Celtic park on a Tuesday night, you'd think we could manage 8,000-10,000, but I think the sort of curiosity element that attracted people to those games has waned. Hopefully the club, the hardcore local support and the local media can build up a bit of momentum. i imagine the back pages of the P&J will be full of little else for the next few weeks. :smile: 

For various reasons, primarily selfish, I hope it's at Ibrox. Barring Firhill, it's the most convenient for me to get to, but it's also a tighter ground than Celtic Park, with the crowd right on top of the pitch. As for the crowd numbers, even if the attendance is no more than 30,000, it will still be a far better atmosphere than there has been for a domestic game in either Glasgow ground for a few years - two sets of supporters for whom a win really, really matters, instead of the usually sense-of-entitlement arrogance you get from the old firm. Bring it on.    

• Agree 1

I have been reliably assured by Neil Doncaster in person that the venue will be entirely neutral to both teams. He was pleased that Pittodrie would be available due to the home team not playing a league game that weekend.

How strange, Neil Doncaster told me he was negotiating for the Bught park as the venue !

Cup finals should always be played in the best stadiums to give the players & fans the best possible cup final day experience so ibrox or parkhead are a must.Edinburgh for a cup final just doesn't seem right

Great shame it won't be at Hampden due to the commonwealth games

It doesn't matter if it's castle greyskull or the piggery the waft of bigotry and sectarianism will be in the air regardless.

Not sure what the stewards will say but I'm going to take a cushion or a protective cover with me to put on the seat

Dougal

Great shame it won't be at Hampden due to the commonwealth games

It doesn't matter if it's castle greyskull or the piggery the waft of bigotry and sectarianism will be in the air regardless.

Not sure what the stewards will say but I'm going to take a cushion or a protective cover with me to put on the seat

Dougal

I imagine they'll be grateful. :lol:

• Agree 3

Cup finals should always be played in the best stadiums to give the players & fans the best possible cup final day experience so ibrox or parkhead are a must.Edinburgh for a cup final just doesn't seem right

I actually think an Edinburgh final could be a great occasion.  Not a particular fan of Ibrox and Parkhead...or Glasgow in general for that matter, but I don't know if Murrayfield would be a bit too big.

So long as they get it announced quickly that's the main thing. We need to capitalise on yesterday and start pushing the sale of tickets for the final (and other games) ASAP now.

An ancmnt on the venue for next month's League Cup final is expected to be made by the middle of this week

Edited by RiG