ie

Media Coverage

ff

AUDIO

TEXT

VIDEO

TEAM LINEUPS
post-2-0-23107700-1392474793.png

This result feels like a defeat 58% possession 23 attempts only 6 on target 14 corners and we still can't win - why only 1 substitute it seemed from the stats something needed to be changed

The only thing that really neede to change was a wee lucky break. We pretty much dominated but Hearts seemed to have the luck in front if their own goal - blocks, saves & woodwork.

Disappointed with the result as we really deserved much much more. Still, on another day we'd have won be 3 or 4 comfortably - maybe next week!!

It's a long time since I've been so frustrated after a match.  Two points dropped without question.  Incredibly Gary Locke told the BBC afterwards that "a draw was a fair result", even though we led 23-12 on shots, 14-3 on corners and 58-42 on possession.

It's also a long time since I felt the need to give a referee a piece of my mind at the final whistle.  If nothing else, Craig Thomson's decision to add on only a minute at the end was so dodgy that, to be honest, my first thought was "this is crooked".  Hearts' time wasting in the second period was the worst I have seen since we had the misfortune to see Hamilton Accies up here.  Jamie MacDonald took about a minute over every single goal kick.  And as for that moment when Jamie Hamill picked up the ball and threw it away when Brill was about to take a free kick in the second half, well, it is impossible not to book a player for that..  Meanwhile, he let Paul McCallum commit five fouls before bothering to book him, allowed him to delay a free kick by booting the ball 20 yards away, and let him off with about half a dozen other pushes and shoves.

That said, despite the referee, and the incredible negativity of a Hearts side who parked the bus even though a point is no good to them, we created so many good chances I lost count.  We hit the woodwork four times in the first half.  MacDonald made some excellent saves.  Warren and Draper both should have done better with headers from corners.  By the last 20 minutes you could see the players were getting afraid to shoot, given they'd spurned so many opportunities between them.

That's only 9 points from 9 league games under Yogi, and only 2 points from 5 home matches.  That said, it's hard to know what else he could have done - the team could hardly have created more today.  My only beef was his decision to throw on Foran, change to 4-4-2, and go more direct.  We were far more effective with the extra midfielder and I'd have preferred to see Danny Williams or Nick Ross on as the game got stretched.

Given there's 10 points between us and Aberdeen, I reckon second place has gone, even with our games in hand.  I'm increasingly concerned by how Hibs are steadily closing the gap on us in the top six race.

I'm going to break my own rule and comment straight after I have returned from the match but not about the game but about some of our so called "supporters". I sit in the main stand and have, for the first time ever, turned on a man and woman who were supposed to be ICT fans. My wife was applauding the team off the pitch and these people asked "How can she clap that p!sh and the team are a disgrace." He got it with both barrels and was told in no uncertain terms that I'd rather see us in an empty stadium than have his so called support. People have the right to be disappointed but should not have a go at fans supporting the team. We have driven about a thousand miles in the last fortnight supporting the team ( my wife was the lady on Sportscene before the Stranraer game) and if this is the kind of idiot who are coming to games I for one don't want them. Rant over.

• Agree 15

A good performance just needed a wee break early in the game. Would like to see Hughes change things earlier in games like this instead of having endless tactical discussions with Latapy.

Liked the 'get your cup final scarves' stand outside the ground before kick off.

• Agree 2

I was in a great position to see the penalty shout early in the second half.  It was a stonewaller.

The most disappointing thing is that we didn't win despite playing quite well.

Edited by Renegade

I was in a great position to see the penalty shout early in the second half.  It was a stonewaller.

Was that when Warren went down?

No, it was a handball a few minutes before that one.

No, it was a handball a few minutes before that one.

When the hearts player kicked the ball onto his own hand? (thats the only handball i can recall)

wasn't at the game but it sounds like it was a bit of a one sided game. Unfortunately you do get games like these but I would rather hear about the game going the way it did than hearts sitting in and we failed to do anything in a bit of bore draw. Yes we do have a lot of ground now to make up but if we continue to play in the same vein then results will get better. I feel sorry for Hughes slightly in the fact that he is trying to stamp his mark on a team that was going great under Butcher. He likes possession football where as Butcher was more direct but still tried to play on the ground. It is 2 points dropped we are still a better team than anyone below us and if we can get these performances on a regular basis then who knows. Aberdeen are the strongest side in the league behind Celtic but they won by a penalty today so they still have potential to lose games or drop points. We are in Cup final, potential last 8 of the Scottish Cup and still looking good for a top 6 finish and maybe better I don't think that is bad going.