Houses nr Culloden

Kirishima

So, the protests are beginning over Inverness Properties building houses 400m from the battlefield, after taking legal action when Highland Council said no.

Personally, I could understand, say, a Chinese company doing this, but Sutherland, Fraser and co. have obviously no qualms about the city and its heritage when it comes to the spondoolachs.

The new properties sit within the existing foot print of the dilapidated farm buildings and will be smaller than the structures they are replacing.

I appreciate the sensitivities of proposing developments so close to Culloden Battlefield but what's proposed is no closer to the historic site than what is already there.

Protesting about the reporters decision isn't going to do much now. 

I agree RiG, although I think they are worried that there may be more built in the future.  I have noticed that there were plots for sale at Leanich Farm which is about the same distance away or closer to the battlefield and there seems to be no problems!

Does it really matter if home are built close to the battlefield? The battlefield area itself is protected under National Trust rules is it not. The city of Inverness is expanding. The population is rising. A balance has to be made on areas for building and areas of arable ground, natural woodland etc. I'm not exactly sure where these homes are being built but I'd think that the persons who overruled the council would have done a good deal of research before making the ruling. We all bemoan the fact that everything is in the central belt but if we want to encourage investment and infrastructure away from that area of Scotland then we must allow expansion of the city. Sadly too many Highland Councillors still live in the dark ages and make decisions based on how things were back then.

• 4 months later...

Bored crackpots? :lol:

My concern is that a young couple will buy one of these new homes and will one night wake up in the early hours and see a disembodied spirit bearing down on them.

That happened to me a couple of months ago in the corridor outside the master bedroom.

I woke at precisely 2.41 a.m for no obvious reason (go figure!!) and at 2.45 a.m a middle-aged lady appeared seemingly out of nowhere and started to move slowly with her arms crossed over her chest along this corridor approaching the bedroom door. She was highlighted dimly behind her by a small night light attached to the corridor wall some 5 feet behind her and she wore a shawl over dark clothing with her arms crossed over her chest as if she was slightly cold or very thoughtful.

Since I thought it was my wife I remained calm and not alarmed, just looking on. As she reached the exterior of the bedroom door, which was cracked open about 6 inches, about 15 feet away from where I was lying calmly viewing all this, she lifted her right  hand to push open the door but stopped as if instructed not to continue. At this point I began to realise that  something was happening  and my gaze became riveted on the door in the very dim light.

She then  turned to her right and very slowly moved along the door but stopped to allow me to view a small portion of her back against the leading edge for about a minute then very slowly moved completely out of sight.

Later my wife denied completely that she had been up and about at that time. Her figure and clothing was also not the same so...that's the first time I have seen a  ghost in the flesh. My son also saw one in his house years ago but when he went after what he thought was an intruder and turned the corner into the corridor up which this ghost had gone he found no one, despite the end of that corridor being a dead end.

Well, Bughtmaster, if you are referring to the ectoplasmic variety of spirits and and not the liquid type then you and I are on the same page. If liquid, then I think you may be just havering because I am deadly serious and not prone to panic or hallucinations. So real in fact that had I known she was not my wife I would have spoken to her...now, there's a thought. Oops excuse me, I need a tissue to wipe thesweat off my brow.

This vision through my eyes was more solid than ephemeral or ectoplasmic, with the latter usually beingthe white substance that flows from the mouth or eyes of the type of medium who can effuse this substance--which are few and far between I can assure you.