Celtic -V- Inverness C.T.

Scotty

Like others, I also made a last minute decision to go the game and had to endure sitting amongst the Celtic support (luckily there was nothing to cheer about anyway!) Yogi got it wrong yesterday, the players got it wrong yesterday and we were lucky not to concede more. Just a few observations:

The tactics yesterday were wrong. Giving it a "right good go" at Celtic Park is just asking for Celtic to over run us. We started the game playing a straight 4-4-2 as follows:

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Vincent Draper Tansey Ross

McKay Foran

Neither Vincent or Ross are natural wingers that will run at the fullback and take them on. This lead to both of them tucking inside on numerous occasions which allowed Shinnie and Raven to press forward into the space. This tactic is all well and good when we can keep the ball and feed it out wide but Draper and Tansey (in particular) were too often caught on the ball or tried the impossible pass through the crowded middle of the park to Foran (more on him later!) and McKay. This left us short at the back and with the pace from Forrest, Stokes and Griffiths, Celtic were often through three on two with little protection for Warren and Meekings.

I haven't had the chance to see us under Hughes that often but the thing that really struck me yesterday (and on other occasions) was the difference in style between Butcher and Hughes. Butcher was all about getting the ball forward quickly, getting crosses into the box and seeing that happens. Hughes has certainly got the team passing from the back with the fullbacks pushing onto the halfway line for goal kicks looking to receive the ball. I'm not slating Hughes and I am far from an being against Hughes but I would question the ball retention strategy. I understand the logic of it but for years, we have been a team that have been built upon graft, soaking up pressure and hitting on the counter attack quickly. The way the team set up yesterday was to slow play down which allowed Celtic to get back into shape and gave them the chance to steal back possession quickly. In short, i'm yet to be convinced.

I would much preferred to see a formation as follows yesterday:

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Foran Draper

Watkins Vincent/Tansey Ross

McKay

My last observation (I could make many more but won't!) is centred on Richie Foran. Let me get this in straight away, I am a big Foran fan and I fully agree that we play better when he plays, he has bucket loads of passion for the club and will hopefully become manager at some stage. However, yesterday I was very disappointed in him. Hopefully I am being over critical but I thought his work rate was poor, he was looking to make everything about him and he just didn't look very up for it. I personally prefer him playing the deeper lying midfield role now but yesterday I thought he looked really very poor upfront. He wasn't the only player and it's perhaps harsh to single him out but I think as club captain he needs to take a little bit more responsibility for the teams performance and attitude.

I full agree with Yogi when he said the result isn't going to define our season and I think as fans, we need to move on from yesterday now and focus on next weeks cup tie. We've had a fantastic season so far and the players deserve all the praise that they'll get. We really can go far this year so lets get behind the team and cheer them on to a cup double.

• Agree 1

seen the highlights and it doesnt matter what formation you put out if you defend like that then you are bound to be punished. I don't think 4-4-2 at parkhead is very clever but tbf to yogi we may have had a chance to attack them if we hand not conceded to poor goals at the front post. Also the only way you are going to trouble a team like Celtic is if you have some pace in your team. Now playing Vincent and Ross on the wings is not going to do that, Watkins should have played and then at least we have someone with genuine pace who can get the Celtic back 4 going towards there own goal. Anyway it has happened we can't do much so lets move on to a bigger game for us next week 

Wow - what happened to our defence?! At fault for almost all of the goals on Sat, which is so unusual. The lack of pressing in midfield also made it far, far too easy for Celtic to play killer balls into Griffiths - anybody can look world-class when given that much time. Bad day at the office for everybody. Regroup and respond against United.