Europe or League cup?

Iain

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which one

• Europe
    • League Cup

There is only 1 answer. Winning a cup is what football is all about. Just wish it was the Scottish Cup.

Europe will come one day but many teams histories are defined by cup wins. St. Mirren 87, Motherwell '91, Hearts '98 '06, Killie '97 '12, Partick Thistle '71. These dates roll off the top of my head but who remembers when they finished third in the league and got one or two rounds in Europe?

A cup win will be somthing that is remembered and celebrated for decades to come. Many of these teams have special celebrations for the annaversary of their wins. We can join that. Some teams like St. Johnstone have never won a major trophy and other established clubs haven't won one in 30-40 years +

• Agree 2

I'd take a cup win even if it meant relegation.  My pre-ICT team was St Mirren.  They won the cup in 1987 and the team was:

Money; Wilson Cooper Winnie Hamilton; Lambert Abercromby Ferguson Hamilton; McDowall McGarvey, and managed by Alex Smith with Jimmy Bone.

Ian Cameron had a delayed arrival as he was sitting his finals for his degree, whilst Tony Fitzpatrick got on late - a true Buddies legend.  Big Peter Godfrey was our Bobby Mann but injury earlier on stopped him getting into the final team but he deserved it.

St Mirren then got relegated.  Can't exactly remember the year.  Can't remember the manager (might have been Fitz).  Can't pick out the team.

This will be the same for ICT.  A cup win for ICT will live in legend.  Way more bigger than either Europe or a league position.

Europe will be a fun novelty for the club but it is unlikely to yield anything in terms of a return. It is very expensive will mean we will lose money as the preliminaries don't give much in prize money  and we are unlikely to get very far anyway. That said it would be wonderful for the club to represent Scotland on a European front but to before that we need build towards. Sunday is a massive day for the club and most people have eluded that it could be the makings of the next chapter for the club to go forward. Being a Man Utd fan i understand when people say the Scottish is more important and i would agree to wanting to win the FA Cup more than the league cup. But i don't understand this apathy towards the league cup in Scotland as it is a trophy and lets be honest there are only two trophies a club outside the old firm will ever win as the league will always be one of them two. If we win on Sunday it will be one of the greatest days i will ever have being at a sporting event and i am sure a lot of others feel the same. The league cup should be given the same amount of respect as the Scottish cup for a club our size as a trophy is a trophy and we have earned being in the final just to take the last hurdle.  

• Agree 2

Teams only really make a loss in terms of travel when it's to some far off corner off Europe with no planes that go there unless they're chartered. Avoid that and it's not so bad.

I'd still take the cup every time though. Europe would be nice but it's realistically not going to last long.

League Cup is the first available option - so take it if it comes.

Europe might still be available for fourth place if Aberdeen finished second but won the Scottish Cup.  It could still be fourth if Motherwell dropped away and Dundee United overtook ICT and won the Scottish Cup.

Only Sunday matters - we cannot get relegated this season so let's just do it!

• Agree 2

Yeah, I've been thinking about this.  The cup is just a one-off.  Europe shows far more consistency.  Definitely the more prized*.

*I reserve my right to change that to 'top six is the most important', 'finishing above Butcher is the most important', 'beating Ross County is the most important' or 'avoiding relegation is the most important' according to seasonal factors, such as being rubbish.

• Agree 1