Inverness CT -V- Aberdeen

Scotty

The game was there for the taking, Aberdeen were clueless. Unfortunately, Billy was too isolated up front and we didn't get any support up with him. First half we stood off them to much, but second half was much better but we didn't create anything. To many misplaced passes, poor crosses...And when was the last time we took a decent free kick??

I thought Devine and Meekings were outstanding, and having seen the replay of the foul on Foran in the box we were cheated out of a penalty!!

The more the game went on the better we got, pity we didn't score during play.

A nil-nil draw was a fair result and pretty good against a team who didn't concede a single goal during the competition and had recently beaten Celtic twice.

The team did us proud.

• Agree 1

In the 2nd half ICT gave the impression that they were just realising that they could beat  the Dons handily and the silky soccer and control was back and much more obvious.

Alas, it seemd to fade --tiredness? And allowing Billy to take  a penalty maybe was a poor idea. I think that the team were tired at the very end and this could perhaps have been the reason for the erratic nature of the penalties. Well over the bar is not the sign of a top professional player on top of his game. Even Tansey did not hit his with venom although he scored as I recall.

Also, naturally, I do think the occasion in front of such a huge crowd did have an effect on them --a bit slow and hesitant at times.?

Aberdeen seemed to have a a lot of the ball but their actual chances were few and far between. The lack of Pawlett and Haynes must have been a real blow to them. Caley bottled up the midfield  bigtime and the dOns werte far from invulnerable today.

Oh well. :ohmy::clapoverhead:

If Caley thistle had scored I think they could have ran rampant. It just was not our day.

A dreadful game of football. The standard of freekicks was unbelievably bad from both sides.

The first half we looked a side short of confidence but grew into the game in the second half.

Christie was excellent when he came on an time for him to get a start.

Billys lack of goals is a real worry but no faulting his work ethic.

Horrible way to loose a horrible match.

Looked to me that Yogi set out for penalties from the off. Dropping Doran clearly said to me that he wasn't going to have a go anyway. Unbelievably negative tactics for a cup final.

Other that Dorans effort we never troubled Langfield the whole game which is very disappointing.

As for our so called fans I thought it was disgusting how many left as soon as the penalties finished. Hundreds if not thousands streamed out before our players went up to get their medals a total disgrace in my eyes and they should be ashamed of themselves

Dougal

Edited by dougal

Was Doran on the bench because of the injury he sustained on Wednesday so could noy be risked for the full 90 minutes. No manager sets out to play for penalties, well not in Scotland, because it is too much of a risk.

Poor game overall but, as folks have sais, Aberdeen were there for the taking but we just lacked that bit of sharpness. Whether that was down to the number of games recently, don't know. Christie didokay when he came on but, in my opinion, was lucky to get on the bench ahead of Williams.

For the last 3 games involving ICT, we have witnessed very poor refereeing. The Willie Collum debacle against Dundee Utd, the ref at the Hibs game was poor, didn't let the game flow and was very inconsistent and we were denied a stonewall penalty with Foran yesterday. The referee had a good view of it but why he didn't give it is beyond me. As for our 3 bookings, only Foran's could be said to be justified as Aberdeen seemed to get away with similar fouls and not get booked. How Robson and Flood didn't get booked is again, beyond me.

Anyway, the ref did not cost us this game but now the guys have got a taste of the high liefe, here's to the next cup final next season. Well done ICT.

• Agree 1

Looked to me that Yogi set out for penalties from the off. Dropping Doran clearly said to me that he wasn't going to have a go anyway. Unbelievably negative tactics for a cup final.

Other that Dorans effort we never troubled Langfield the whole game which is very disappointing.

As for our so called fans I thought it was disgusting how many left as soon as the penalties finished. Hundreds if not thousands streamed out before our players went up to get their medals a total disgrace in my eyes and they should be ashamed of themselves

Dougal

Have to agree with some not staying to see our guys get their medals. I could hardly see then for people barging past me in a hurry to leave.

We left as soon as they got the medals but I was utterly amazing Ti find thousands of Dons fans outside too wtf. Got to Belgrove for train lots of Dons fans just sitting like a morgue. Was bizarre. I'd have Bern swinging from the train roof if wed won.

• Agree 1

Missus M tell me there was a guy sat next to her and her boy decked out in Thistle colours. Anyone care to admit to who it was?

Alex there was a few people with Caley and Thistle stuff on. Was lovely to see. Also saw Gavin Gunning with his missus (?) and I assume his son in an ICT strip. Not sure what the connection is?

I went to the game expecting a drubbing to be honest after our performances in the previous couple of weeks.  So I can understand Yogi setting the side up so negatively to some extent.  But it wasn't pretty to watch. I think Aberdeen were there for the taking if we'd been a bit more creative. Doran had some good runs down the left when he came on spoiled only by his final cross.  Unsurprisingly our best players were at the back with Meekings and Devine superb.

When are we going to get the message that Mckay is not a penalty taker?

But a good day out all the same.  Lost a lot of drinking time queueing to get into the London Road Tavern!  Oh, by the way, I thought our flag was ok, but completely outshone by Aberdeen's magnificent display at the start. That must have taken some organising!

• Agree 5

Oh, by the way, I thought our flag was ok, but completely outshone by Aberdeen's magnificent display at the start. That must have taken some organising!

Totally agree a superb display well organised and really looked the part

A nil-nil draw was a fair result and pretty good against a team who didn't concede a single goal during the competition and had recently beaten Celtic twice.

Just to elaborate on that, in Aberdeen's great run of form over the last 13 matches, the only team they failed to score against is ICT (twice). We are certainly doing something right, and our tactics were spot on.

• Agree 2

All Caley Thistle fans should be proud of what these players have achieved. OK we didn't win the trophy but defensively we were fantastic. Yogi must now concentrate on developing our attacking system and personally I would use Christie in and around Billy. Having watched him in U20 and the limited first team minutes, he is certainly good enough - he only needs the chance to prove it. 

Devine and shinnie were superb, we battled well but didn't really have many chances. Question... Why did some of our fans leave before the players got their medals????

I had family to see while I was in glasgow so I stayed and clapped for a few minutes but I had to go!

I didnt even get back in inverness until 12:30 am :/

Plus I really needed a smoke and there was no were to go at half time for one!

I don't see a problem with people leaving prior to the trophy presentation.  The ovation had been given and losing like that is heartbreaking and most would want to get out and get it over with as quickly as possible.  

Post-ovation what would people have gained by staying?  Or was it a 'lack of respect' to Aberdeen that was the problem?

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Out of interest, who is to be considered the poorer ICT fan from these two scenarios:

1. An ICT fan who attends their teams match but leaves before the end of the game / sees the players pick up their medals; or
  2. An ICT fan who doesn't attend their teams games but instead goes and watches their local rivals instead?
  • Agree 1

Out of interest, who is to be considered the poorer ICT fan from these two scenarios:

1. An ICT fan who attends their teams match but leaves before the end of the game / sees the players pick up their medals; or
  2. An ICT fan who doesn't attend their teams games but instead goes and watches their local rivals instead?

Scenario 2 cannot be considered an ICT fan

so many things you can tell from the game yesterday

1. Aberdeen ain't world beaters we matched them those players put all in

2. Hughes got the tactics wrong we never looked in the game until ross, doran and Christie came on

3. penalties need a real focus 40,000 Aberdeen fans booing putting them off never helped however they should of coped under pressure they are professional footballers billy's penalty was poor and tansey was just shocking

4. Some fans were actually booked on the final service train back up the road at 18:10 so if they didn't leave they would have been stranded in Glasgow

also something extra Scotrail very poor at enforcing there no drink policy on the last service train north plenty of rowdy Aberdeen fans drinking and singing when you just want a quiet trip up sorry but it bloody got past a joke. Either way Im proud I was there when history was made well done boys :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: :clapoverhead: 

Like everyone else, I'm pretty gutted in the manner we lost - losing on penalties isn't the best. But I'm immensely proud that we got to our first major cup final - getting through ET against Dundee Utd then the semi against Hearts was incredible. We were so close yesterday!

I thought in the first half, Aberdeen were by far the better team. We gave them too much time on the ball and they looked very comfortable in posession with Flood and Robson running their midfield. In the second half, there was more urgency, we gave them less space and were passing much better. However, Aberdeen did always look dangerous.

I thought we defended very well though and despite a few close calls, limiting Aberdeen's chances. Apart from the 20 minute period in the second half I thought we were not great. It seemed like we were playing the long ball up to McKay who was trying his best to pick up the scraps. Lots of effort but we needed a bit of quality. Watkin's effort in the second half was unfortunately quite comedy. I don't remember a real clear cut chance we created - will need to see the highlights.

I thought the referee had an average game. Another referee could have easily sent Foran off with his committed tackles but he did the sensible thing in keeping him on the field. There were two incidents I thought were incorrect - Aberdeen's freekick just outside the box in the first half where we actually got the ball and Shinnie's yellow card.

Overall, it's disappointing to lose on penalties, but so proud to get to the final. They have lots to be proud of - onwards and upwards!

I hope the dons fans that threw stuff at shinnie when he was trying to take a corner got thrown out!

Was it just me or did half of the aberdeen support and willo flood all look like they just came to glasgow to visit a methadone clinic?

Edited by Ayeseetee