What now?

jagster

Well yesterday is truly over and we now have to pick ourselves up for the rest of the season. With only one home win since Hughes took over in December Stranraer 2-0 do people realistically think we can still get in the top 3 and qualify for Europe. We haven't scored in four games and with the home games against partick and st mirren coming up could we be in for record low league attendances as I don't think we will gain any patg customers though I would love to be proved wrong. Hopefully now Christie Evans pepper etc will start getting more of a chance as I think we look tired at the moment and don't seem to have the same zip we had before the managerial change. Top 6 secure which is where I would rather be for sure but IMHO I think 5th is most likely scenario now. Interesting times ahead Ps what's the story with Ross drapers contract is he more likely to go or stay after yesterday his agent will be waving a mom at the cup final award at clubs to eke out a few more pennies on his contract options

You are correct about the team not having the same "zip" with the new management team. Also McKay doesn't run around so much as Butcher had him doing. He used to harass defenders more , but now holds back a lot, and doesn't chase the ball. I do believe in good defending as first option, that is the difference between the managers, but of course would like to see even one goal !!! 

• Agree 2

We have gone from a 'top six' team which scored regularly with a system which allowed us to have one of the most regularly scoring strikers in the league to one which creates few chances, scores very few goals, has bottom six form (or worse!) form and a striker who looks less than average in a system not designed for a player such as him!

We had in season blips under Butcher however we normally still created chances even during these periods.

If we are to continue to move away from the old system we will need to find a different striker from Billy. The support is so far away on occasions that we need a player who can hold a ball up and bring others into play. For all of Billy's strength this is definately his weakness. Four months ago he was a Million Pound player. In this system.................?

It has taken Yogi a while to put his 'stamp' on the team but that was definitely his side out there yesterday. Look on the positives - he has a good track record of reaching cup finals.

And losing them.  :sad:

We have gone from a 'top six' team which scored regularly with a system which allowed us to have one of the most regularly scoring strikers in the league to one which creates few chances, scores very few goals, has bottom six form (or worse!) form and a striker who looks less than average in a system not designed for a player such as him!

We had in season blips under Butcher however we normally still created chances even during these periods.

If we are to continue to move away from the old system we will need to find a different striker from Billy. The support is so far away on occasions that we need a player who can hold a ball up and bring others into play. For all of Billy's strength this is definately his weakness. Four months ago he was a Million Pound player. In this system.................?

Billy McKay was never a million pound player. 

I am referring to the price tag placed on him by club in the January window. The point is that he is not the same player and is not getting scoring chances

I think Tree has a point. Mckay's loss of goalscoring form has coincided with a slight change in shape to the team, which means he is isolated. It isn't even that he's missing loads of chances - he's just not getting them. No striker can work off the scraps he's getting just now, so we either need to get back to where we were or find a different striker. I'd vote forgoing back to where we were....although I suspect we'll need to find a new striker in the summer anyway!

I am referring to the price tag placed on him by club in the January window. The point is that he is not the same player and is not getting scoring chances

Agree that he is not the same player since Yogi arrived, still works as hard just the system isn't suiting him 

Perception is everything.  Memories are short.  In the 11 leagues games before Butcher left we were averaging 10 attempts on target per game and in the last 11 games Hughes has been in charge we are averaging 9.5.  There really is not much difference in that respect.

I would concede that we have lost a bit of zip and I'm not quite sure why but one thing that frustrates me now and which frustrated me before is how few players seem to look to take a shot.  Obviously Billy does when he gets half a chance but of the rest, the only two who seem to be looking to shoot are Doran and on occasions when he is forward, Shinnie.  Draper, Vincent, Foran, Ross and Tansey rarely take a pop at goal and time and time again the ball is moved across the width of the park and none of them ever seems to look to take the initiative to either drive forward themselves or create the space for a shot.  The tactic seems to be to either manipulate the chance for an overlap down the wing and a cross or a more intricate exchange through the defence to walk the ball into the net.  Doing this often leads to us getting pushed back when the long ball up to a small striker is resorted to. 

When he takes responsibility for a shot and it goes wrong Doran is accused by some here as being selfish, so it seems you just can't win.  Tansey's strike in the semi at Easter Road will live long in the memory and I just don't know why he and the others seem so reluctant to have a go.  In Billy Mckay we have a very sharp instinctive striker and I am sure that even if our midfilelders didn't score too often with shots there would be times when the keeper couldn't hold the shots and there would be scraps for Billy to feed off.

It's all very well having possession of the ball but it's no use unless you do something with it.  Players need to take responsibility upfront to make things happen.  At the moment, it seems only Doran is doing that. I don't know whether this is a confidence thing but it needs to change.  We have an absolutely crucial period coming up with 6 games in 18 days.  Given the huge emotional drain of losing the final in the cruellest way it will not be easy to lift the players but lift them we must.  Aberdeen must be favourites for 2nd and therefore this weeks game against Motherwell becomes a 6 pointer for third place.  We need to build on the solid defencive work on Sunday and start to be more decisive in an attacking sense.  We need to get back to scoring ways and we will not do that if players do not have the confidence to do anything but pass the ball (and the responsibility) to the team mate standing next to them.

The fact is that we have got to the final of one cup, the quarter final of another and have secured a top 6 finish with 6 games still to play.  This has been a very successful season for us and whilst that may not be good enough for some on this forum, it is something that the team should be proud of.  They are a very good team with the potential to be ever better.  They shouldn't be downhearted - rather, they should be proud of what they have acheived so far and have the confidence that having acheived this, they can now express themselves and develop further as a team.  Hopefully a win at Motherwell will be the signal for a storming end to the season.

• Agree 3

Thought Billy led the line superbly yesterday, Anderson and Reynolds struggled to contend with him at times but he is not getting the service. If he dosent get service he wont score...simple as that.

Defensively we look solid though, Aberdeen were really limited in chances and we moved as a unit, no one really seemed to get pulled out of space, something I have noticed more under Yogi. 

It is imperative that we finish the season now as strongly as possible, Europe I feel may beyond us but we are under no pressure now and the cup will no longer be on our minds. As TS says it would be nice to see more of the youngsters get blooded in...apart from Polworth, sorry but I think he's guff.

What next....mmm, I don't mean to be pessimistic they day after our biggest ever game, and what a great achievement it was to reach the final and come so close to winning it but I am a bit worried about what next.

Butcher used him Steve Marsella to great effect and took in some gems that fitted in with our budget, then him and Mo managed got the best out of those players and a whisker away from Europe, Hughes doesn't have the luxury of Marsella and I think that is a worry.

I don't want to judge Hughes on tactics etc as he has to put his own stamp on the team and that will take a bit of time, our time under Butcher was quite remarkable and seeing how we progress under Hughes will be interesting while also a bit worrying.

I  think Yogi should now give Draper an ultimatum. We not only need a good finish to the season, we need to know who is here next season. If Draper is moving lets forget about him, I would even go as far as offering to cancel his contract if he is moving. That would save us his salary  and let him find another club before the season ends - that will show how good an agent he has!. Christie looks to be the future so lets start him and see how he does. I'm not convinced about Polworth. Ross has a lot of good attributes but he really does need to toughen up and put himself about - then we really do have a player! I don't think we should be despondent, we have a very good choice from 2 decent keepers, 6 proven defenders and a good choice of midfielders to fit various shapes. Our problem is up front. We have a striker who can score goals but we have absolutely no options.

I honestly think the future looks good but now is the time that Yogi and Latapy have to show how creative they are.

• Agree 2

Lets hope we can build on the 7000 fans who attended the final, it would be disappointing (but not surprising) to see low turnouts at the next three home games. It's probably too late for the club to influence this Saturdays crowd, however they could offer a reduced admission price to the St Mirren game for those fans who attended the final. Alternatively they could put together a package to encourage patg fans to come to the next 3 home games.

The club must have a database of fans who purchased tickets and this is an opportunity which should not be missed, it would be great for the team to be greeted by 4000+ home fans on Saturday rather than the usual 2,500!

• Agree 1

Alas, I fear that crowds will drop to their usual hard core levels for the next few games and will only peak again if there is a glimpse of Europe after the split (the 2 games against Motherwell will decide that and I don't rate our chances on Wednesday for as many reasons as you care to mention, unfortunately). I don't think reducing prices will have much of an impact TBH....just hope that the best parts of the experience at Celtic Park might just attract some of the 5-6k newcomers to try out TCS for a league game!

Alas, I fear that crowds will drop to their usual hard core levels for the next few games and will only peak again if there is a glimpse of Europe after the split (the 2 games against Motherwell will decide that and I don't rate our chances on Wednesday for as many reasons as you care to mention, unfortunately). I don't think reducing prices will have much of an impact TBH....just hope that the best parts of the experience at Celtic Park might just attract some of the 5-6k newcomers to try out TCS for a league game!

There weren't anything like 5-6k newcomers there.  Its more a question of lots of folk who only go to a few games a year all going to the same one.  No matter, whether new or occasonal supporters, let's hope they enjoyed the day and come along to support the team more often for the bread and butter games.  That is where the foundations of the glory days are laid and where the club really needs the support.

• Agree 1

There weren't anything like 5-6k newcomers there.  Its more a question of lots of folk who only go to a few games a year all going to the same one.  No matter, whether new or occasonal supporters, let's hope they enjoyed the day and come along to support the team more often for the bread and butter games.  That is where the foundations of the glory days are laid and where the club really needs the support.

Fair point! Substitute "newcomers" with "newcomers/occasional supporters".

Whats next? We dust ourselves off and give it a good go against Motherwell. I do think we need to look at the way we play. McKay looked isolated up front and I find it baffling that we haven't looked at more attacking options. With the exception of the League Cup semi its been a gloomy few months and we really need to change that.

What next ? Reaching the League Cup final and coming so close to winning the thing combined with securing our second top six finish means that we have had a good season.

Securing Europe for the first time would turn a good season into a great one despite the disappointment of being dumped so comprehensively out of the Scottish Cup.

However, given our recent form, that is going to be a tall order and to do so we are almost certainly going to have to Finish above Motherwell and turn round our alarming slump in home league form. That said, if we can quickly pick ourselves up from the disappointment and use that as motivation, we can go a long way to achieving both these aims in the space of four days.

Six points from Wednesday and Saturday and Europe through the league is well and truly on and we will have righted the travesty of the first Partick home match into the bargain.

It's become a bit of a cliche that the important games have been coming thick and fast but the next two matches really could define whether our season now fizzles out or whether we are left with all to play for in the closing straight.

Time for, players, management and fans alike to dust ourselves down and make the effort to ensure that the season ends with a bang and not a whimper moving from merely good to the best in our history.

• Agree 1

Don't like the negative comments on this thread about Polworth. He is a very young lad who apparently is a model professional and just learning his trade.

During the limited opportunities he has had he has been at least the equal of any of the other midfielders. For example against Hibs he probably worked as hard as anyone on the park constantly breaking up the Hibs play. He may not be the finished article but well worth a few starts before the end if the season.

When you look at the so called tremendous young talent that Dundee United supposedly have then we need to 'big up' our local young boys not slag them off. Young players seldom play consistently well in the early years. I say let Polworth, Christie, Pepper and Evans have a decent run now, it will pay dividends in the long run.

• Agree 3

Finish above Motherwell, and we will be in Europe.

Not necessarily!

In one example, Aberdeen & Dundee United finish 2nd and 3rd, with us 4th and Motherwell 5th. Then, St.Johnstone win the Scottish Cup. We would miss out.