Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I was willing to give Hughes time but ever since the 0-5 at Parkhead, that has changed!!

Yes, we reached Cup Final and top 6 again but that was guaranteed before Butcher left.

His record here is ridiculous, he was a defender and yet our defence is poor just now.

Hughes MUST GO imo!!

Are you serious?

You were willing to give Hughes time, do you think you have achieved that?

Why was cup final reached before Butcher left, Hughes was in charge at semi-final.

Hughes was a defender, correct, you got something right.

Have a lie down man ffs.

• Agree 1

A few months into Ebbe Skovdahl's reign, Willie Miller said he should go.  It wasn't working, so best get rid of him sooner rather than later.  Aberdeen regretted not listening to him.

I feel the same about Hughes.  It's not working and his record suggests it won't improve.  There are better managers within our budget.  Yogi was a ghastly mistake.  Best to cut our losses now.

Whats laughable about asking this question?

Plenty of players have come and gone in less time than Hughes has been here, nobody should be immune to review at any stage of their tenure at any level.  I suspect the SPFL Chairman of the Year will not be questioning anything himself far as Hughes role is concerned until well into the summer if at all, as it will be an admission he made a mistake.

Had Hughes had a better CV coming into the job then I would give him more time.  That said, even I can admit at this stage heshould be given until the end of the season to see what he can do to turn things around.

Guest Mahonio

Least someone agrees with me but if you see title of thread, it is SHOULD Hughes be sacked, not Hughes out, I gave my opinion which I am entitled to just same as you guys are, if you don't like my opinion then TOUGH!

Some people just **** me off at times and it is ALWAYS same people!

I'd of really liked to have seen what Butcher would have done any differently considering our small squad and fixture pile up, especially since he's completely revolutionised Hibs failing side into this winning machine we see before us. I do wonder where this thread would have been if John's tactics, however negative they seemed, won us our first national trophy. I wasn't a huge Hughes supporter when he first arrived, but surely give the man time to get his targets in the Summer and then judge him. Top six for the second season in succession, a cup final, and a team all signed up on one of the smallest budgets in the Premiership. You can never please some people.

• Agree 6

Least someone agrees with me but if you see title of thread, it is SHOULD Hughes be sacked, not Hughes out, I gave my opinion which I am entitled to just same as you guys are, if you don't like my opinion then TOUGH!

Some people just **** me off at times and it is ALWAYS same people!

My post was sarcastic.

A few months into Ebbe Skovdahl's reign, Willie Miller said he should go.  It wasn't working, so best get rid of him sooner rather than later.  Aberdeen regretted not listening to him.

I feel the same about Hughes.  It's not working and his record suggests it won't improve.  There are better managers within our budget.  Yogi was a ghastly mistake.  Best to cut our losses now.

Maybe if you want to use Aberdeen or ex Aberdeen you should maybe consider Fergies start at Man U.

If you lot were on MU's forum at the time, no doubt you would have had him ... 'Lost the dressing room' ... 'lost the fans' .... ' lost the plot' BUT the boy did good! Well sort of good anyway!

I however am concerned about our goal drought and our silly mistakes at the back but rather than sack the man, I would prefer to see less teeth at the dugout and more fist waving from him.

He does come over as a players pal and that is not always a good management platform.

• Agree 2

I'd of really liked to have seen what Butcher would have done any differently considering our small squad and fixture pile up, especially since he's completely revolutionised Hibs failing side into this winning machine we see before us. I do wonder where this thread would have been if John's tactics, however negative they seemed, won us our first national trophy. I wasn't a huge Hughes supporter when he first arrived, but surely give the man time to get his targets in the Summer and then judge him. Top six for the second season in succession, a cup final, and a team all signed up on one of the smallest budgets in the Premiership. You can never please some people.

You forget to mention the complete hammerings, the goal drought of 8 hours, the drop from clear second due to relegation style results, the background of the management team for not getting out of holes, the only home win being against Stranraer (after a replay), being unable to see which tactics work - all of this with the best team we've ever had.

We can (and we will I'm sure) go on with Hughes but are we really saying that, with this team, avoiding relegation next year is success???  Do you believe Yogi is the best manager we can get?  Do you think he will improve us next season?  If so, then carry on believing.  If not, why not cut our losses sooner rather than later.

We don't need Yogi to get his team embedded.  All we need is a decent manager that recognises how to play a strong squad.  That's not Hughes.

• Agree 1

Maybe if you want to use Aberdeen or ex Aberdeen you should maybe consider Fergies start at Man U.

If you lot were on MU's forum at the time, no doubt you would have had him ... 'Lost the dressing room' ... 'lost the fans' .... ' lost the plot' BUT the boy did good! Well sort of good anyway!

I however am concerned about our goal drought and our silly mistakes at the back but rather than sack the man, I would prefer to see less teeth at the dugout and more fist waving from him.

He does come over as a players pal and that is not always a good management platform.

HAd hughes won the Cup Winners Cup with Aberdeen in the recent past, I think we would go a bit lighter on him lol.

I must admit I'm on the fence at the moment, I'm all for giving him time but at the same time think how long?

First 15 games when TB in charge 29 points

first 15 of JH tenure 16 points

same players, did all the other teams get better or did we get worse?  I dont seem to recall major injury prob other than Foran or Vincent and they have been back a fair time now, We were still in the cups back then and lying clear in 2nd place if I remember correctly

Edited by jagster

Our form in the last 6 is not exceptionally worse than any other

Last updated: 15.03.2014 at 18:49

Overall Home Away   Pos Team Pld W D L F A W D L F A W D L F A +/- Pts                                                                                                              1. Celtic 6 5 0 1 15 2 3 0 0 9 0 2 0 1 6 2 +13 15 line.gif                                   2. Dundee Utd 6 4 1 1 13 8 3 0 1 9 6 1 1 0 4 2 +5 13                                                                                                                                                       3. Aberdeen 6 3 1 2 7 7 2 0 1 3 2 1 1 1 4 5 0 10                                                                                                                                                              4. Partick Thistle 6 2 3 1 11 8 2 1 0 7 3 0 2 1 4 5 +3 9                                                                                                                                                      5. St Johnstone 6 3 0 3 5 5 1 0 1 3 1 2 0 2 2 4 0 9                                                                                                                                                          6. Motherwell 6 2 2 2 14 15 2 1 0 10 6 0 1 2 4 9 -1 8 line.gif                         7. Inverness CT 6 2 2 2 4 7 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 2 4 7 -3 8                                                                                                                                                          8. Hearts 6 2 1 3 7 12 1 0 1 2 3 1 1 2 5 9 -5 7                                                                                                                                                                    9. Hibernian 6 1 3 2 8 11 1 1 1 6 7 0 2 1 2 4 -3 6                                                                                                                                                                10. Kilmarnock 6 1 2 3 9 13 1 2 1 7 8 0 0 2 2 5 -4 5 line.gif                          11. Ross County 6 1 2 3 7 11 1 1 2 4 7 0 1 1 3 4 -4 5 line.gif                        12. St Mirren 6 1 0 5 6 9

1 0 1 2 1 0 0 4 4 8 -3  

Sorry guys my pc skills are not the best  :blink:

Last updated.docx

Edited by jagster
  • Agree 1

Right let's get the tin hat on and think this one through properly. Firstly the results have not been pretty on the eyes however multiple times I have watched ICT under John Hughes we have actually played good football. Dundee United at Home and Ross County at Home were the only ones I really had cause for concern with. I can't really comment on the 5-0 game vs Celtic as I wasn't there. Aberdeen at home, sure we fell down quicker than a house on fire but after half time we dusted ourselves off and got back into the game where we were close to a point. Last Sunday, sure bitterly disappointing to lose a major cup final but we took Aberdeen all the way to penalties despite having a game the Wednesday before and Aberdeen were fully rested. That game came down to penalties which is nothing more than a lottery.

We are quick to pass the blame when things go tits up but let's cast our mind back a couple weeks. We passed Ross County off the pitch at their own stamping ground and won 3-0. The Semi final we were so close to leaving Easter Road with nothing with 9 men but we didn't and got through via penalties. Beat Hearts 2-0 at Tynecastle in very difficult weather conditions.

Now, it's easy to say Terry Butcher had control of the team for the first half and got us Top 6 but what he didn't do was get us to a major cup final and credit has to go to John Hughes for that. Nobody knows what would have happen if Butcher was still manager but we have to move on such as life.

I wasn't a massive John Hughes fan and I still think the club missed a trick with Paul Hartley and co coming to the club but John Hughes realistically should be given till next season to put his on 'stamp' on the team.

The next two games are massive games for us if we want to finish as high up as the league we can.

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 2

Hughes was never my 1st choice and even though results have been poor lately he needs to be given time. He has inherited a squad that was playing well but wants to put his own stamp on the team. He needs to be given time to bring in hi own players and create his own team. If the team is struggling at Christmas, then think about a change at the top. To suggest it now is just ludicrous

• Agree 1