Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Not sure he should be sacked but definitely the results need to improve. He needs more time but I do worry - we have seen all the players sign extended contracts which is great news, yet he has tried to change the style of play from what we had and made top 6 and sat top of the spfl for 8 games. Now we move the ball slowly, never try to make the killer balls to billy, avoid wingers and overall have players lacking confidence in what was a solid defence and nobody wants to ever take a shot. Its all a worry where we will go moving forwards.

In my view, it was astonishing that Hughes was appointed as manager given his record. His inability to speak in anything other than cliches didn't inspire any confidence either but appointed he was and on a two and a half year contract at that.

Given that, for all sorts of reasons not least because it would be morally wrong of the board to jettison him so soon after showing such faith in him, it is right  to give him at least a year and a half, that is to say until the end of next season.

Personally, I think we can put aside ambitions of cup finals or top six finishes but the players we have at our disposal should ensure that we stay in the top league whoever the manager is.

If at the end of next season there is no sign of improvement the matter should be seriously considered but, for now, whatever our reservations, he is our man and we should back him.

• Agree 2

We got to the dizzy heights of 2nd place because we got off to a flyer with 16 points from our first 6 games.  We got off to a flyer because we had a team which was basically what we left off with at the end of the previous season.  Other teams then began to gel and play better and our way of playing began to get sussed out.  Not counting the game at Hibs when Butcher, whilst still our manager watched from the stands, we lost 3 of the 5 games before he left.  That included a home defeat to Partick and a 4 - 0 drubbing in Perth.  A significant drop in form happened before Hughes arrived and that may well have more to do with what has happened at other clubs than what has happened here.

If Butcher was still here, I'm not convinced we would be doing any better than we are now.  All teams go through good and bad patches and I don't see any reason to hit the panic button yet.  There is maybe a lack of confidence which is not helped by some of the rubbish posted on this forum.  Without doubt we have a talented and settled squad and it is just a matter of time till the results turn our way again.  With talent like Ryan Christine just beginning to blossom as well, I am very optimistic about the future.

• Agree 5

Both he and Butcher know that they are in a results based job so both must fear the sack.

Look at Davie Moyes at Man United. League they play like midtablers. Tonight I watched their game and before the game I thought they were going to be put out but they totally blew Olympiacos away and are now in the next stage of champions league.

Just shows you that you don't need to jump the gun so soon.

Guest Mahonio

Fair comments on here, being honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to start this discussion, only reason I did was to guage if majority still back the boss, hence the title.

Now I ken that he is still being backed, will go back to reading about Murray/Lendl parting.

By the way, I am not offended by these comments.

We are playing through a major back log of games with the smallest squad in the league. Is it impossible to think that fatigue and the mental drain of playing such a massive game just 3 days before could be a reason?

I knew this subject would come up if we lost the final, I just didnt think it would be almost immediately. He needs time. Time to get back to a regular routine with the players, to get over the cup final, and to try and establish a formation and style that is to his liking.

The players dont seem to have a problem with him. Since his appointment 4 players have committed to long term contracts...that says to me that people want to play for him.

I would urge fans to show patience. He needs to get to the end of the season. Re group in the summer, build a solid long term plan, bring in a few signings of his own and as many have said get a chance to put his own "stamp" on the team.

Regardless of what was thought of his appointment that has all been and gone now. Hes the manager of my team and unless we are bordering on past the point of no return him and Russ have my full support.

Top 6 is secure for another season. This season will play out and only after that should we start keeping a more watchful eye on the performance and progress of our managment team.

• Agree 2

For the record, at the time Butcher left I was delighted and I suspect form the excitement on these boards at the time most other people were as well, I never sensed any sort of disillusionment after he left.

It was the right time for him to go and it was the right time to bring in somebody new to stop us being complacent and falling into the trap of having terrible downturns midway through the season, which we had for all but 1 of Terrys time in charge (when we got promoted).

Nobody in defence of Hughes should ask 'what would Butcher have done differently?', Butcher wasnt an option, he had left.

• Agree 1

I wanted Hartley but was prepared to give Hughes a chance - and to give him credit where due, as in the semi against Jambos.  But tactically he seems to be clueless in most games.  Tonight he packed the central midfield, and then took the only winger off.  Motherwell won it without getting out of first gear.  We've gone from having the tightest defence in the SPL to the leakiest.  We've had two 5-0 slaughters, and lucky to get away with only 5-0 both times, and  an approach to our first ever final that was focused on playing for penalties. His record is very poor.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the guy and respect him standing up for the players.  I'm getting a bit sick of his recycled interviews, and am going to smash my telly the next time he says 'we roll our sleeves up and get on with it'.  I certainly wasn't impressed with what he said on Alba tonight. He's not paid to be a nice guy but to win football matches.

But will we achieve anything with him as manager?  I really hope we do,  but can't see it.  Has he lost the dressing room?  Possibly.  What has happened to the confident, slick unit that our team was a few months ago, when we had a cup double and Europe in our sights?

I don't want him to try and put his stamp on the team.  I'd like him and Russell to study the games and tactics played under Butcher, and try and get back to playing that way.

I wanted Hartley but was prepared to give Hughes a chance - and to give him credit where due, as in the semi against Jambos.  But tactically he seems to be clueless in most games.  Tonight he packed the central midfield, and then took the only winger off.  Motherwell won it without getting out of first gear.  We've gone from having the tightest defence in the SPL to the leakiest.  We've had two 5-0 slaughters, and lucky to get away with only 5-0 both times, and  an approach to our first ever final that was focused on playing for penalties. His record is very poor.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the guy and respect him standing up for the players.  I'm getting a bit sick of his recycled interviews, and am going to smash my telly the next time he says 'we roll our sleeves up and get on with it'.  I certainly wasn't impressed with what he said on Alba tonight. He's not paid to be a nice guy but to win football matches.

But will we achieve anything with him as manager?  I really hope we do,  but can't see it.  Has he lost the dressing room?  Possibly.  What has happened to the confident, slick unit that our team was a few months ago, when we had a cup double and Europe in our sights?

I don't want him to try and put his stamp on the team.  I'd like him and Russell to study the games and tactics played under Butcher, and try and get back to playing that way.

Well Sir, I wonder if there is not a few contradictions in your above offering?

Has he lost the dressing room? Maybe you should ask the players that signed longer term contracts or maybe Mr Foran or maybe the players you state he stands up for - will they, I wonder, share your opinion.

Or we could just ask you .... and the answer is .... possibly!

And then you ask him to be like our last manager who is under a bit more flak on the HIBS site than Hughes is on here.

However I do understand the natural frustration you are experiencing at the moment. One wee question ... Had we won on penalties would you still be writing the above? I guess not, and yet we were a couple of kicks of the ball from winning or maybe a couple of saves.

I think you are being harsh but it is understandable.

You really think this is all about a cup loss, instead of a massive downturn in form, some shocking results, a big drop in the league, a leaky defence and a lack of goals?  To say that next year, with a settled and good squad, we should be settling for not getting relegated is ridiculous.

And what's all this nonsense about top managers?  No-one's expecting Mourinho but most of the new manager thread had sensible suggestions for our budget.

And all this 'it would have happened anyway' nonsense.  Why on Earth did we bring in a manager then if he can't arrest a drop in form?  That's exactly what a manager is for.  Otherwise, let's save the money as no doubt there would be some natural upturn in form?!?!

For many, this season will rank as our ‘best ever’ due to the League Cup final.

However, it’s also been the season that's seen us notch-up some unwelcome records – longest goal drought (ongoing), our heaviest (equal) SPL/Premiership defeat and our all-time heaviest home defeat….and all since the turn of the year.

For one of the aforementioned statistics to occur during our ‘best season’ could be viewed as ironic, with two possibly being an unfortunate coincidence…but all three is just sheer carelessness! :laugh:

For a team that can only take 7,000 to a cup final top flight managers are not queueing up for the job we are in the top six a having our best season ever . Some people on here need a reality check.

With respect, they were queuing up  for the job. Which, according to the board, was one of the reasons the appointment process took so long.

Quite disappointed with some of our results but having played quite well in a number of those defeats i'm not too disheartened. He wasn't many peoples first choice but sacking a manager at this point in the season will get us nowhere. 

Quite disappointed with some of our results but having played quite well in a number of those defeats i'm not too disheartened. He wasn't many peoples first choice but sacking a manager at this point in the season will get us nowhere. 

I agree. Sacking the manager at this point would be wrong and against the ethos of our club either at this point of the season or any time in the course of next season unless we find ourselves adrift at the bottom which I hope, with the players we have, is unlikely. In my view, as I've said above, the time to review matters, will be at or towards the end of next season.

The one part of your post I would take issue with is 'he wasn't many peoples first choice'. If you look at at mammoth 'New Manager' thread he wasn't anybody's choice until he was appointed. However, he was the choice of the board and for that reason they and we need to back him now.

• Agree 1